ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Side lights come on when braking? - 2004 Clio 1.4 16V Dynamique

Clio 1.4 16V (2004)
Hey guys, was just wondering if anyone could possibly help me with a problem I'm having with my clio (2004 Clio 1.4 16V Dynamique):

When I brake, the side lights come on and when I turn the side lights on the brake lights come on too.

I've done a fair bit of googling on this and what most people tend to be saying is that it'll be a rear earth connection? I've had both lights off, checked the twin filament bulbs for a short and checked all the connections and rear earth points for corrosion but they were all flawless? Almost as if they're brand new.

I've had each brake bulb out and had a mate press the brake pedal and the side lights still come on, does that rule out the bulbs then?

I'm also wondering if maybe a passengers kicked something loose under the glove box or whether there's an earth under the bonnet I need to check?

The only work I've had done since buying the car about 6 months ago is replacing the heater fan and that was done about 3 months ago so surely it cant be that?

Hoping for a cheap fix! Cheers :)

Hey guys, was just wondering if anyone could possibly help me with a problem I'm having with my clio (2004 Clio 1.4 16V Dynamique):

When I brake, the side lights come on and when I turn the side lights on the brake lights come on too.

I've done a fair bit of googling on this and what most people tend to be saying is that it'll be a rear earth connection? I've had both lights off, checked the twin filament bulbs for a short and checked all the connections and rear earth points for corrosion but they were all flawless? Almost as if they're brand new.

I've had each brake bulb out and had a mate press the brake pedal and the side lights still come on, does that rule out the bulbs then?

I'm also wondering if maybe a passengers kicked something loose under the glove box or whether there's an earth under the bonnet I need to check?

The only work I've had done since buying the car about 6 months ago is replacing the heater fan and that was done about 3 months ago so surely it cant be that?

Hoping for a cheap fix! Cheers :)

Could be a dodgy fuse, could be the connector that plugs into the back in the bulb clusters where its shorted slightly and melted two points together, these can be had at scrap yards.

Just a few thoughts :)

How can it possibly be a fuse? If the fuse is bust then the circuit is broken and the lights don't work?

It will 100% be one of the rear clusters. Make sure all wires are unbroken and the connections are secure in the plug. Make sure it plugs into the cluster properly and check the earth that attaches to the bodywork.

How can it possibly be a fuse? If the fuse is bust then the circuit is broken and the lights don't work?

It will 100% be one of the rear clusters. Make sure all wires are unbroken and the connections are secure in the plug. Make sure it plugs into the cluster properly and check the earth that attaches to the bodywork.

I've had some dodgy experiences with fuses, mainly with lights, all may not be as it seems.

Clio 1.4 16V (2004)
That's the thing, could be any number of things I suppose... :S Got an auto-electrician coming out tomorrow to have a look, I'm hopeful that it is just in the light cluster itself but from what I could see the wires, earth and connections were near perfect. Of course there could be something I couldn't see that just needs a multimeter and someone who knows what they're doing to have look at.

I'll update this thread with the result just in case anyone can benefit from it.

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys, I appreciate it.

Last edited: