ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Silver 182 Project Thread *RS2*

None :(
Well around 2/3 months ago I was going to sell up, and get another car after 4 years of ownership. When it came to actually selling I couldn’t let go. The Clio hasn’t let me down in 4 years, and it still puts a smile on my face most days. So sensible hat came on, and thought I don’t really want a loan again as it’s been nice to be 100% debt free for 2 years, and thought the money I had saved up for the new car (so savings + loan it would have been) I thought why not put this back into the Clio and have some cracking track day fun next year!

So as the car stands atm, my future plans for the car are:

-Skoda splitter (thought I’d put this one at the top ;) )
-SC/ITB/T
-Change the suspension
-Rollcage

But before I go spending silly money I thought I ought to think and read a little bit more and get cracking on with re-spraying my original wheels. The original wheels started to suffer from “cracking”. Not sure if that’s the right term, but basically water had got under the lacquer and therefor was slowly destroying the paint on the wheels.

So I bought some cheap 15” alloys to go on the car whilst I re-spray my original wheels. Now I had a little inspiration from crispy clio with the orange when he done it. This is something I now wish I never did, but hay, they only temporary so why the hell not. So I sprayed the 15” wheels orange, did a crap job, rushed it, wasn’t happy with it (normal spray can job). But was a good lesson learnt.

car_as_it_stands.jpg

Ok so what i have done so far with the car over the last year, was get rid of the rear seats, put a rear strut bar in (which is a right pain when trying to put shopping in the car) removed the rear seatbelts, put Daniels old bucket seats in (I had a photo somewhere, they weighed in at 5.5kg each seat) so I saved a lot of weight compared to the standard seats. Daniel said this to me but just couldn’t appreciate the weight of them until I had removed the originals. Cleaned up the harnesses I bought off him also, they came up a treat considering they weren’t really red anymore.

I also put a V6 air filter on and removed the original CAF and put in my own one in. Whilst I was at it, I thought I’ve lost all this weight in the back, why not put the battery in the boot as it will always have to be in the car. So me and my dad sorted that out.

battery.jpg

I then purchased a Scorpion exhaust, fitted it myself, I’m a geek not a mechanic, and it took me 3 days lol. Yes half way through it I did wish I had just paid someone to do it ;) But got it fitted in the end and was happy with the instant better throttle response.

I then left the car as it was for about a year until I had decided to spend my car savings on the Clio. First off, I bought an OMP steering wheel. I had always wanted an aftermarket wheel as I hate the melting original one. But was always scared of not having an airbag, until the penny dropped when reading a CS thread, and realised an air bag won’t do much when you have harnesses.

s_wheel_1.jpg

s_wheel_2.jpg

I must say I do wish I didn’t choose that style of steering wheel. Don’t get me wrong, great fun to drive with a wheel like that, but sometimes when using the car for general use, it’s a bit weird having this flat bottom when parking/tight corners. But I’m starting to live with it, and the GF likes it also.

Here are some shots of the seats:

buckets_behind.jpg

buckets.jpg

It was time to start getting the original 182 alloys sprayed. I first off spent hours and hours and days and days stripping the paint off just ONE alloy. I already thought to myself why am I doing this. In fact it was so hard to take all the paint off I nearly gave up. But Jades (gf) dad saved the day, he took all 4 alloys into work and had the paint blasted off. I remember him saying something like, the wheels have spent 4 hours in like a dishwasher. When the wheels came back I was stunned how much paint had been removed I’d say 90% off all wheels. Wish I had taken a photo now.

I still had to prep the wheels for spraying and Jades dad gave me these brush type heads to put on a drill, to remove the last bits of paint that wouldn’t come off. I did try and go down the polish route at this stage, and lacquer after. But it was just too much effort, and I went back to the original idea of spraying the wheels.

alloy_buffed_1.jpg

alloy_buffed_2.jpg

The above pic, the alloy looks scratched, but that was just the sanding, the alloy to touch was smoooooth as a babies bum!

alloy_buffed_3.jpg

Now even smoother!

alloy_buffed_4.jpg

So I was close to finishing off getting the wheels ready, and thought it was time to sort my (what will be) spray booth. Got the hoover out and started hoovering the inside of the shed. I wanted as much dust removed as possible. I then, with help from my mate Rich, put up this thin plastic sheeting. The spray booth was ready.

the_spray_booth.jpg

spray_booth_1.jpg

spray_booth_2.jpg

spray_booth_3.jpg

So whilst I was sanding/brushing/cleaning the wheels outside ready, Rich started with the primer on the one wheel which was ready. By the time he had done a few coats and rested the next wheel was ready.

alloy_buffed_5.jpg

alloy_buffed_6.jpg

The below pic is Rich after doing the first coat of primer, as you can see from the outside pic of the shed, there isn’t much ventilation!!!

rich_air.jpg

Said he felt a little dizzy!

Rich finished the first coat of primer on the wheels then went to primer the wheel caps (if that’s the name for them):

primer_caps_1.jpg

Then he did the diamonds and the front Diamond I bought off a member on CS. I was going to do these red to add subtle touches to the red theme I have going on (only inside the car atm). I then grabbed the cup spoiler who I bought off Clart on CS, and sanded down a few notches and cleaned it ready for primer.

spoiler_before.jpg

It was my turn, so I kitted up and went in the booth and sprayed primer on the spoiler.
That was it for day 1, was a good laff must say, and mucho thanks to my mate Rich, without him I’d probably be nowhere near this stage.

alloy_primer_1.jpg

alloy_primer_2.jpg

alloy_primer_3.jpg

alloys_drying_primer.jpg

alloys_drying_primer_2.jpg

diamonds_drying_1.jpg

primer_caps_2.jpg

We left the primer parts for a few days to dry, and then we started spraying the wheels again. I had originally, in the paint shop where I got all my bits from, chosen this glitter silver. But first of all you have to spray black as an undercoat. So got the black tin and the thinners out, and rich mixed up the black:

rich_mixing.jpg

Then we took it in turns spraying the black, but Rich did do most of the first few coats of black.

alloy_drying_1.jpg

Once they started to dry, I was really liking the alloys in black. I tried to search on CS for a 182 with original alloys in black, on a silver car. But had no joy, so once they were dry, we took one of the wheels and put it up again the car to see what they would look like. We both thought black looked ace!

black_alloy_against_car.jpg

I bet you lot think ARCH GAP!

That was it for another day, left the wheels to dry. Then after 2 days in the morning before work, I gave the wheels another coat of black. As I was starting to think I may keep them black and not use the silver glitter with binder as the final finish. I was concerned the wheels might end up looking like an old tatty disco ball.

everything_drying.jpg

Here are some pictures of the diamonds I had sprayed red. I was very pleased with the finish, and they are just waiting to be lacquered now.

red_diamonds.jpg

*They look a little on the pink side, but they look deep red in real life

At the moment the wheels are drying in the living room. As its getting chilly at night, I don’t think the paint is drying very well.

alloys_drying_1.jpg

alloys_drying_2.jpg

I was very impatient and just wanted to get them lacquered and finished, but Rich and Jade both persuaded me not to rush it, and sand down the odd bit of dust that landed on the paint and do another coat. In the end I can imagine me thanking them. I wanted them finished because of what’s happening on Friday 5th of November.

What is happening then? Well going back to the start where on my list I had SC/ITB/T I had a gooood long think about which one to get. As when you have saved up some dosh, and it’s just staring at you (SPEND ME) it was time to think which route to go down. Spent many hours reading everyone’s threads regarding SC and Tubo’d Clios. In the long run with both those options it sounded like the car could just become a money pit, having to uprate everything to cope with the extra power etc. So I started to think about ITB’s. Mainly for the sound and the way it changes the car (to drive). Again spent many hours reading and threw a few PM’s at some people/traders on the forum, and I then decided to go for the RS2 option from JMS. So the car on Friday is getting dropped off for a week at JMS to get the work done.

Ok I know what some of you are thinking here, BRAKES AND SUSPENSION FIRST! Well the way I looked at it, was I have the money now to do the RS2, it will be the most expensive mod I’ll ever do, get it done before I spend the money and have to re-save.

I have purchased the Brembo discs (Thanks Quade) http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?526203 and are sat in the garage now just waiting. I don’t have the standard brakes on the Clio, apparently they are uprated, and I do personally think the brakes are good, but I’m sure I’ll say their sh1t once the Brembos are on ;)

So updates to follow I imagine once I get the car back from JMS!

Comments and suggestions are welcome thanks!

P.S. Splitter will come off once i have got car back from JMS;)

Last summer i was building a box for it, but didn't finish it.

Battery hasn't moved in well over a year. :eek:

Car is now at JMS to have the RS2 Intake Manifold fitted and a de-cat.

I have a feeling that the whole of next week is going to go soo slow for me!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Please sort that battery out !!!

~15kg of lead will make a mighty mess of the back of your head when you crash.

Some homework for you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inertia

On a less serious note - car will look much better with the black 182 rims (and as mentioned, alternate splitter!)

*awaits updated pictures*

:coffee:

Thanks for the link TheEvilGiraffe! I must say, i hadn't thought about what would happen if the ties snapped in a crash and the battery went flying! Mess is a good way of putting it!

I'll do a search on here and see how others have secured it. I imagine some kind of box which the battery can sit inside, with the cables coming in from the top, and the box bolted to the floor of the car. Either way the battery some how needs to be bolted to the car. Not with cable ties.......

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Cars coming along nicely!

Although you have your harnesses mounted to a rear strut brace?! If you crash, one adult human creates something like 7 tonnes of force on a seatbelt. And you have secured that with a rear strut brace with two 13mm nuts??!! Madness.

The shed looks like a scene out of Dexter !!
Damn i don't watch the show, so can only imagine!

Although you have your harnesses mounted to a rear strut brace?! If you crash, one adult human creates something like 7 tonnes of force on a seatbelt. And you have secured that with a rear strut brace with two 13mm nuts??!! Madness.
Tom at JMS called me yesterday evening, to explain how crazy it was to put them on the strut brace, as well as the battery. The guy who MOT's my car said it was alright, better not listen to him again! But i'm really glad the car is with Tom, i haven't even had the car back yet and i'm already very impressed with his service! He also said he will sort out the harnesses so they are safe!

Thanks for the comments guys! :)

Ok, i've put the center caps on, (only rested on top not clipped in) and i also rested the red diamonds i painted.

They are drying much better now they are in the living room! One wheel needs at least 2 more coats of black. I will give the other 3 wheels 1 more coat. Then i will let them dry and start laquering.

I've taken some photos of how they stand atm;

black_1.jpg

black_2.jpg

black_3.jpg

black_4.jpg

black_5.jpg

black_6.jpg

black_7.jpg

black_8.jpg

Hopefully they will be finished by next weekend.

TrackCar & F30 330d
The 182 wheels will look great when they are on.

Car will look a million times better with out the bad boy splitter. Thought you were going to get rid of that splitter years ago lol

Look forward to seeing the engine mod :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You thought about doing wheel refurbs for money?

Now your equipments all setup, its easy money!

Thought you were going to get rid of that splitter years ago lol
:eek:

Funny you mention that Daniel, as when i bought my test alloy from the scrap yard, and the guy asked why i just wanted one alloy wheel, then i explained. He said if i continue to do it, to give him a shout or leave my number as people often asked him if he knew someone that could respray alloys/refurbish them.

Depends tho, it's not something i've really thought about. I'll see how they turn out and my spoiler and go from there tbh.

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
mate its really worth fitting a varley red top or similar, much smaller and easy to mount, sort you r battery issues right out!
For harness mounting points go to msar's website and have a look, you'll find a good way of securing the harnesses safely on there mate

S4 Avant
Glad that battery was mentioned in the first post. Absolutely shocked to see it held down with cable ties!

It's not been unheard of for loose batteries/chavvy subs etc... to rip through body panels or windows in a crash.

Ok, i need some more advise please.

As i should be, I’m quite concerned about the battery in the boot the way it currently is. I’ve had a search on here, ebay, merlin, google etc for a battery box or something similar. I’m not having much joy.

So I thought I have two options really.

1. Move the battery back under the bonnet until next month when I have the monies for a redtop + bracket.
2. Can someone on here think of a secure way of mounting this battery to the base of the car?

The only way that has occurred to me, is to make two brackets that go around and over the battery and both ends screwed into the car. So said battery won’t go anywhere. But I don’t think it will be strong enough in the worst case scenario of being rear ended L

One thread I was reading someone suggested a mk4 fiesta battery box. Now yes this is something I can sit the battery in, in case of acid leak etc. But no way is this plastic box secure enough in my eyes. The plastic on a few pics of this box looks thinner than my ties ;) Or am I missing something here with the fiesta box method?

Secure suggestions will be much appreciated

Cheers

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
Beg borrow etc And get the varley sorted IMO unless you want your head stoves in. Any other idea sounds like a half measure and still dangerous

BMW F21 125d
Wheels are going to look mint. Agree with you don't think I've seen a Silver/Black combo on here before. Red diamonds set them off a treat. I'd be tempted to add red lettering to your door bullets too, continuation of the theme. I'll say no more about the battery as its all been said already. Looking forward to the updates at the end of the week when the RS2 is on.
*Subscribed*

TrackCar & F30 330d
Save up the money and get a Red top mate, much better than having the acid bomb sat on your boot

So when you getting the car back with this new intake?

Not sure yet.

I asked Tom to sort out the Battery, by getting a Odyssey 25 battery, and get it installed under the passenger seat :)

Clio 172
Good work on this, well done for taking all the advice on board re the harnesses and battery and sorting it quick sticks

Woke up Saturday morning and saw I had a txt from Tom at JMS to advise my car won’t be ready until one evening this week. He’s had a hell of a week by the sounds of everything!!

So I managed to sort out a car to use for work, as I’m working in Bristol next week and week after. Thanks to Jades dad for lending me his Pug 307. At least I’ll have a cheap week on fuel as it’s a dirty diesel!

Didn’t have much motivation this week to do any work on the alloys & spoiler. So this afternoon I decided to give the shed a clean out. Rip down all the old sheets and put up some new ones! From the photos below you can see it’s much better. Oh I decided to lay down a bit of plastic for the floor, thought it would prevent some of the wood dust that appears.

clean_shed_1.jpg

clean_shed_2.jpg

Can’t wait to get the car back now, starting to miss it!!

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
oooo an rs2 engined car local, will have to sort a meet and see how it goes, or bring it too a local track or drag and see how she holds up. glad your ditching the old wheels, saw it in the multistory a few months back now, made me cry a little

ooo an rs2 engined car local, will have to sort a meet and see how it goes, or bring it too a local track or drag and see how she holds up. glad your ditching the old wheels, saw it in the multistory a few months back now, made me cry a little

Ahh that was your car, I saw it and thought I’ll park here so he can laff! But you cried instead :p hehe
Yeah sounds good to meet up, once I’ve had it mapped at RS Tuning and gave it some more TLC (as it needs loads).

Ok and yes there are some updates Badger :)

Updates:

1. You will ALL be glad to hear, that Tom has ripped off the old splitter as he had the bumper off anyways. (cheers Tom)
2. Tom also mentioned that my car will be available to be picked up at 4pm tomorrow! Oh how excited am I now after 3 weeks, I’ve really missed the little car!
3. Alloys have had final coat of black paint, just need to lacquer now.

So I’ll post some pics, and updates over the weekend hopefully if all goes to plan :)

*lets hope the snow aint too thick, now i've lost my plough ;)

On Friday 26th I set off down to London with my mate in his mx5, as he was kind enough to give me a lift down there. Got there at 18:15 and the car wasn’t ready so we went down to the local and had some food and chilled out. Went back to JMS, the guys still had a few bits left to finish, but this was a good opportunity to ask some questions. I was really pleased with both Tom and James attitude, you could tell they cared and took pride in their work. They made sure the car was fine to drive before I went home, which was really warming, considering I knew in the back of my mind that the car won’t run as it should until it’s been mapped. Tom said the car responded very well and he seemed very pleased with it.

I left JMS cold, tired and wanting to get home, but the journey home sure woke me up. I was buzzin when I got home!! I’ve never had a de-cat fitted to a car before, the rumble when you start the engine is awesome! The new engine mounts seem tight, lots of new vibrations but for some reason I feel this has added more character to the car, it doesn’t just feel like a standard clio no more with just some seats removed in the back. I’m really pleased! Yes there is a loud drone on the motorway, and with having forgotten my stereo I just had to play with the exhaust note most the way home. The engine is over-fuelling as I used an awful amount of fuel on the way home. Or maybe that was just my right foot ;)

Until the car is remapped I’m down around 20bhp, and a delay in acceleration. The only way to describe it, is it’s similar to a turbo, you put your foot down, and about half a second later the car just wakes up into life and wants to go. Feels very torquey in the lower rpm range. Tom advised I don’t go over 5k rpm really, which at this time of year won’t be a problem.

The work I had carried out at JMS is as follows:
-RS2 manifold
-De-cat
-New battery under the passenger’s seat
-Fitted my harnesses correctly

I have a lot of work to do now, I have some old oil stains on the engine, and some fresh ish ones. Tom advised I clean it with degreaser and then keep an eye on it. I may have a leak somewhere, which if I remember correctly was on the side bit of the engine. To fix it he said, it’s a cam-belt off job, so this is something I will start saving up to fix next. So apart from cleaning the engine, I have to sort the inside out also, as I have the old wires left in the boot where the old battery was. And I have to remove the standard seat belts. I also have to fix my fire extinguisher under my seat or behind my seat. I also have my Skoda splitter to fit at some point.

Below are some photo’s I have taken and the links to the high res versions:

engine_bay_1.jpg

engine_bay_2

engine_bay_3.jpg

engine_bay_4.jpg

engine_bay_5.jpg

battery_cbox.jpg

engine_mount_2.jpg

engine_top.jpg

enginemount%20_1.jpg

harnesses.jpg

new_battery_1.jpg

new_battery_2.jpg

new_battery_3.jpg

oil_breather.jpg

old_battery.jpg

pipercross.jpg

rs2.jpg

rs2_front.jpg

front.jpg

Hi Res if anyone interested:
http://www.minux.co.uk/clio/project/RS2 photos/battery_cbox.JPG
http://www.minux.co.uk/clio/project/RS2 photos/engine_bay_1.JPG
http://www.minux.co.uk/clio/project/RS2 photos/engine_bay_2.JPG
http://www.minux.co.uk/clio/project/RS2 photos/engine_bay_3.JPG
http://www.minux.co.uk/clio/project/RS2 photos/engine_bay_4.JPG
http://www.minux.co.uk/clio/project/RS2 photos/engine_bay_5.JPG
http://www.minux.co.uk/clio/project/RS2 photos/engine_mount_2.JPG
http://www.minux.co.uk/clio/project/RS2 photos/engine_top.JPG
http://www.minux.co.uk/clio/project/RS2 photos/enginemount _1.JPG
http://www.minux.co.uk/clio/project/RS2 photos/front.JPG
http://www.minux.co.uk/clio/project/RS2 photos/harnesses.JPG
http://www.minux.co.uk/clio/project/RS2 photos/new_battery_1.JPG
http://www.minux.co.uk/clio/project/RS2 photos/new_battery_2.JPG
http://www.minux.co.uk/clio/project/RS2 photos/new_battery_3.JPG
http://www.minux.co.uk/clio/project/RS2 photos/oil_breather.JPG
http://www.minux.co.uk/clio/project/RS2 photos/old_battery.JPG
http://www.minux.co.uk/clio/project/RS2 photos/pipercross.JPG
http://www.minux.co.uk/clio/project/RS2 photos/rs2.JPG
http://www.minux.co.uk/clio/project/RS2 photos/rs2_front.JPG

Questions & comments welcome.

R26
Whats the rs2 like glos? mines in at the moment getting it done :)
or is it too early to say? as it hasnt been mapped

Too early to say regarding peek power/bhp but sound wise is fantastic, and it does pull strong at low rpm atm, so i can't wait to see what it's like after mapped.

Have you booked yours in to be mapped yet? If so did you have to wait long?