ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Silver 182 Project Thread *RS2*

R26
i booked mine in as soon as i booked my manifold in, it goes in saturday. gave roughly 4 weeks notice.
cant wait, should get it back this week! :)

221bhp/ton Mondial Terror
Very nice mate :cool:. Considering getting a jms mani next year incase i cant afford my itbs! Very interested in your results after its mapped!

None :(
Me to Quade :)

Anyone local who wants to check it out, feel free to pm me.

BTW car has been booked in for Thursday to be mapped. happy days!!!

BMW M135i
Cable tied fuel rail :(. Sure it'll be a different animal when its mapped! Look forward to the results.

Cable tied fuel rail :(. Sure it'll be a different animal when its mapped! Look forward to the results.

Tom said the part for the fuel rail is being anodized atm, and should have them next week. He'll come to mine to fit it he said. Hopefully he doesn't forget about me ;)

Update:

Ok on Thursday the 2nd, I headed off to RS Tuning in Leeds. My family didn’t want me to go, as all they saw on the news was people getting stuck up north on the roads. But I was inpatient and wanted/needed my remap. So my sort of sensible hat came on, and I packed the car with the following:

-Sleeping bag
-Big shovel
-Water
-Food
-Big empty bottle ;)

I said to the family I’ll check the traffic websites before I set off, but at 5:15am I was like a zombie and just headed for the M5. All was going well until I got to the M1, just before the Sheffield junction I got stuck in a traffic jam, due to a car transporter falling over. I was doing so well up until then, after 40 minutes waiting, I really needed to go to the loo, so out came the big empty bottle ;)

Traffic Jam:
P1010972.jpg

Started snowing:
P1010973.jpg

Over an hour had gone by, I called Paul and explained the situation and he was cool with it. Then a lorry moved in lane 1 (I was in lane 2) so this enabled me to move to lane 1. Now I had stopped literally at the slip road to get off to Sheffield. I thought sod it, I’ll get off and see if I can get back on, or if it’s really bad head home. I was kicking myself when I got to the top of the slip road, silly me didn’t think about all the other traffic trying to get onto the M1 for an hour, so at the top of the slip road was a nightmare. I could only go left towards Sheffield, started to think to myself WHY didn’t I just listen to the family at this point!!! There was cars and lorry’s everywhere, abandoned, so I slowly made my way towards Sheffield, I was doing 20mph maybe less, I was causing a queue behind me, but thought sod it, I’m taking my time.

P1010978.jpg

Looked on the sat-nav, zoomed out and I could see the M1 bent to the left and around Sheffield a bit, great I thought I can get back on. So 20 mins later I start seeing signs for M1, spot on. Got back on and headed back to Leeds, and got there after 5 hours in total.

P1010981.jpg

check out the front plate ;)

Pauls colleague washed my car off (thumbs up) and in it went. Got the car mapped, and then went home, got home in 3 hours.

P1010986.jpg

Car ticked over to 58k so thought I’d take a snap

P1010988.jpg

This is not 80mph as i'm on 15" wheels = crappy mpg also :dapprove:

Ok the part most of you want to see, the results:

whp.jpg

fly_bhp.jpg

As you can see from the results my engine gives up at 6500rpm, but the torque curve Is good. For some reason or the other my car is around 10bhp down, which is obviously linked to whatever is causing the engine to give up at 6500rpm range. Sent the graphs to Tom at JMS who looked at them, then called me back. Tom advised that he was very impressed with the torque curve and is a sign of a healthy engine. Tom said he will need to have my car back, to take a look at what could be causing this issue. A few things he suggested that could be causing it:

-A small blockage somewhere, maybe in the exhaust, filter or somewhere.
-Low compression in the engine, and is this linked to the small oil leak I have?
-The fact I’m running 15” wheels make any difference, had Paul calculated this factor when mapping?

I just need to get the car back to Tom now. But tbh I don’t drive to the limiter often at all, and the low down grunt is very addictive. But I’ve paid for this mod/power so I want to get it sorted. For those interested, the best way I could describe my car now after the rs2, de-cat, uprated engine mounts fitted, is ‘RAW’ & 'exciting'. I still get the odd throttle response delay from 1st gear to 2nd, but only very minor and mainly when the engine is cold and not warmed up yet. I have also noticed since first getting the car from JMS, that the steam coming out of the exhausts, well it only really comes out of the left tail pipe. Is this another sign of a small blockage? Something isn't quite right.......

Thoughts / comments / suggestions welcome

In what sence do you mean?

My sat-nav warns you when you are going 80mph (for some reason). It started warning me when the needle hit 95mph! so the speedo is definatly off.

If you mean in terms of the results, i have no idea, i'm leaving that to the experts, it was just chucked into the air during convo with Tom.....

Good point, I’ve only noticed when I first start the car up. But I do remember last year in the winter, the steam came out the pipes equally either side. I’m about to do a 30 mile motorway journey, so when I get home I’ll get out the car and check then. Hopefully I can get a place under a lamp post :)

Qashcow
i did think cam timing but then it wouldnt stop at 6500, it would rev the whole way just with lower power wouldnt it?

smoke out the exhaust is normal, even more so in this weather. its probably coming out the left one as its a more direct route to the right hand pipe

Thanks for the input guys much appreciated.

If it was cam timing, i wouldn't get that torque line would i?

Good point on the route bomber, but even my friend mentioned it to me (when i told him my car didn't make the expected bhp) when Tom started the car for the first time in the garage it only came out the one pipe, he's used to seeing it come out of both pipes at this time of year same as me. I Kinda wish he mentioned it at the time, so i could of asked Tom there and then.

Last edited:
Wouldnt be the first car I have seen with a lovely torque curve and bad timing. I'd be getting it checked tbh.

this car if seen to by the right people to tidy it up could be amazing.

great work by rst mind, need to get out ph1 to him now and see how the recommissioned engines holding up!

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Ah think I saw your car down at JMS a few weeks back now when I was down collecting my Cage from Tom.

Where did you get this distribution block for the battery from?

battery_cbox.jpg

this car if seen to by the right people to tidy it up could be amazing.
I'm all ears Naith.......

Where did you get this distribution block for the battery from?
You will have to pm/call James at JMS, he sorted that out for me, as he didn't like my electrical tape ;)

Yup they told me off! But they were pleased i had a fire extinguisher in the car! (admittedly it was not very secure)

Few bits and bobs to finish up, but we'll get there. It has a slight restriction at the top end; however discussions with Paul have not heralded any specific problems so we'll need to get it back and investigate, you never know - it might be reunited with Deans car!

We'll check the timing amongst other things as standard procedure, I can't recall if James has had the belts done?

Its torque is bang on the money, it just drops away 500rpm to early;

yours:

fly_bhp.jpg

Another Customers 182:

scott.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Tom thanks for the input!

Just called the garage where i had the cam-belt changed. It was a cam-belt kit which was installed, inc tension belt, aux belt and the cam belt. This was done at 41849 miles on the 2nd of April 2009. The only thing that wasn't changed was the water pump, so this i would imagine is due now?

Any updates/news regarding the fuel rail Tom?

Yes, I have them here in front of me.

Reg. water pump - not a serviced part / does not need doing unless there is an issue.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
My 182 was exactly the same, just after 6300 it seemed to just drop off and lose its power, then regain it at 6900....very strange. We thought possibly a sensor or injector issue, however I would think if it was a faulty injector it might play up earlier in the rev range

Chris205, was this when just driving it, or on a rolling road?

What exhaust do you have?

If its Powerflow or something, only ones probably connected lol

I have a RS192 Scorpion exhaust.

BMW F21 125d
James on my RS192 i get smoke/steam from both pipes, noticably more as its cold these days, however I seem to get significantly more from the left than the right, but I do get smoke from the right hand side, I've not had mine RR, but it seems to pull strong beyond 7000rpm.

R26
Few bits and bobs to finish up, but we'll get there. It has a slight restriction at the top end; however discussions with Paul have not heralded any specific problems so we'll need to get it back and investigate, you never know - it might be reunited with Deans car!

We'll check the timing amongst other things as standard procedure, I can't recall if James has had the belts done?

Its torque is bang on the money, it just drops away 500rpm to early;

Hi :)

My 182 was exactly the same, just after 6300 it seemed to just drop off and lose its power, then regain it at 6900....very strange. We thought possibly a sensor or injector issue, however I would think if it was a faulty injector it might play up earlier in the rev range

It will almost certainly be due to high demand flow rates through the engine due to the fact it is only present in the upper RPM, something small like a slightly off mounted throttle body or the likes. It's impossible to compare to a stock manifold as it does not herald the same type of airflow characteristics (peaky with low and high RPM torque dropping off).

Anyway we'll examine all of the options and go from there.

Car went to JMS on Monday, new revised base manifold has been fitted.

I shall do a detailed update after the weekend, a few things to show you all :)

BMW F21 125d
Been wondering myself where you have been upto on this...! Drop me a PM or E-mail (i've lost your email addy) and keep us posted bud.

Ok sorry for the lack of updates on this;

Silly little orange wheels are now off the car!

I’ve been doing some more stripage, but I’ve now come to the stage where I need a heat gun and a good nice day to tackle what’s left.

When the car was at JMS, Tom spent some time cleaning my engine bay so i can keep an eye out to see where any fresh oil on the engine comes from. Thanks Tom well chuffed with what you did there! :)

Some pics:

Before:

engine_bay_3.jpg

After:

new_rs2_1.jpg

new_rs2_2.jpg

new_rs2_3.jpg

new_rs2_4.jpg

Tom at JMS advised me that I may have been loosing peek power due to the throttle body not being 100% in-line with the manifold. I think this is what he meant anyways :eek:

Well the engine does pull strong to over 7k rpm now, which is great. I went to a local rolling road meet yesterday and below are the results:

rr2.jpg

rr1.jpg

I know it’s not the same RR, hopefully I will get the chance to go back up to RS Tuning soon to get it back on the rollers there.

See you at FCS!

James.