ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

skidding

was just going around a roundabout and without any warning the front lost grip and the back swung round. luckily there wasn't anyone about.
i'd just left my brothers after pumping my tyres up on the way to the petrol station. they're 32 at the front. was it just down to the road being damp? sh*t me up big style.

clio 200
the roads are very greasy at the mo and my cup struggles for grip if giving abit too much throttle

were you driving at decent speed or had ure foot down

its happened to me before, the road was damp and i was only doing 30 the back end came round, i applied opposite lock went up the curb and back down. luckily for me no one was about!

Audi Q7, Avalanche
happened to me numerous times in my BMW's going at around 25mph around a roundabout, just check your tyres, i personally think 32 is a bit high for this time of year but its all to do with preference. i wouldnt worry about it too much mucka, it happens, and its not always due to excessive speed, sometimes the combination of bad road surface, wet/greasy weather and tyres just means it can step out and spin, the beauty of the clio's neutral weight ballance is that it can spin on a 50p so odds are you are just going to spin and not hit anyone else or anything! just be aware of it when next driving in similar conditions, but dont let it frighten you. id suggest taking your car onto a track and having fun with it, get used to what it feels like to lose the back end and therefore take away the fear, its this fear and over reaction which causes most of the problems when in this situation. that way you know the limits and know what to do when it happens making you a safer and more confident driver.

53 plate Clio 172
Happened to me the other week twice, scared the life outta me, was doing bout 30 mph.
Was slightly damp i must admit but werent driving recklessly!

Golf GTI 1.8T
I do it for fun on roundabouts at night, accelerate and a quick pull of the handbrake and off she goes. The backs are hell of a light on clios though, it's really dangerous.

R35 GTR
lmao ! was gonna ask how many ways there are to lose the back or front.

this way I know what not to do and be a bit more confident.

never had chance to do the handbrake yet, not enough space round here.

mitchzxr said:
I do it for fun on roundabouts at night, accelerate and a quick pull of the handbrake and off she goes. The backs are hell of a light on clios though, it's really dangerous.

I think the roads are pretty greasy at the minute. Was coming out of Asda yesterday, doing a slight hill start onto a roundabout, little over enthusiastic with the throttle and ended up with major wheelspin!

heh, glad i'm not the only one then.
like you say it span on the spot. been out and about and took it easy all day then it happens when you're pottering around a roundabout.

Pikey Truck
my valver struggles like a b**ch for grip when i put my foot down in 1st!! terrible this weather( i want some dryness)!!

clio 172 cup
did you back off the throttle? i sometimes have a little play by chucking it in and lifting off and the back end slides out

Golf GTI 1.8T
Dave3141 said:
lmao ! was gonna ask how many ways there are to lose the back or front.
this way I know what not to do and be a bit more confident.
never had chance to do the handbrake yet, not enough space round here.

I like to have a little play about when it's clear, the roads are so greasy here and roundabouts are the worse!!
Had a nice little back end out top the left as exiting one yesterday. Then approaching the next roundabout I'm braking/droping gears as I knew it was proper slippy, my mate comes humping past me in his 206 courtesy car and I'm just cringing and waiting - there goes the back end out to the right, hes sliding sideway at the bout, then he whipped it so hard back that it went into and opposite slide and he was heading straight on at it, then managed it whip it again and pulled a phat 180 and stopped facing me (cracking up) and a load of cars that had to stop. Was used to his CRX's handling and not 13" steelies! lol the lucky bugger!

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Jim172CUP said:
was just going around a roundabout and without any warning the front lost grip and the back swung round. luckily there wasn't anyone about.
i'd just left my brothers after pumping my tyres up on the way to the petrol station. they're 32 at the front. was it just down to the road being damp? sh*t me up big style.

A539's by any chance.....

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
i went out for a drive in mine yesterday, was finding that I was having to keep the clutch down and slow gear changes down from 1st gear to avoid spinning.

Cup 172
EVOgone said:
A539's by any chance.....

Got these on mine. Great in the dry but...

Last week on the 595 in Cumbria. Coming round a tight left, started to understeer, lifted off, was ready for it but it went so far sideways.... Managed to sort it out, but by the time I got it straight there was a right hand hairpin in front of me, knew I wouldnt stop so headed into the field in front of me, coming to rest with the chevron sign touching the bumper....

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
traction control only stops the car spinning.
BUT the esp does its best to keep it on the road with a sideways slide.
i found this out last night on a roundabout. bit of lift off oversteer n back end swung out n noticed the esp light going mental in front of me.
dnt think it was too happy with me lol
was fun though .... n i kept it controlled in the end ha

LY 200
I posted up around this time last year after spinning mine near enough twice off a roundabout around mid night one sunday, although mine was probably a result of giving it too many beans from bein chased off the roundabout by a mate it still was enough to s**t me up abit and make me think!!!

I now deffinatly dont drive like i would in summer months during winter!!! Lol

MY10 R35 GTR
Not treating the car nicely aint a good idea this weather. Even then on round abouts ur likely to find diesel from lorries lying on the road.......................... diesel + cold + BIG SKIDS (and in the Y's)

VW Potato
happend to me earlier this year in the winter - noticed/felt that the roads were v. slippery, so I went even slower. Got to a roundabout I've turn right at every day for the last six years, turned in slow and gentle, and suddenly, the steering went totally light. I backed off and the rear snapped around, so I turned into it and the car gripped a bit, then starting pointing toward the traffic joining the roundabout! Span the wheel all the way over to the right again, found some grip and lurched back into some sort of half sensible direction. T'was quite a sobering moment. Baffled why this happend to me (no other cars skidded infront or behind me), so I did some checks and subseqently found out my tyre pressure were 42psi on the left front, and between 26psi and 24psi on the others - just one day after reno had serviced my car...)

g

ST
I only got my 182 on monday and i've been more than careful with it...not pulling away at anymore than 2k in 1st and always keep the traction control on....

RenaultSport clio 182
spun mime 180 degrees in the Sunderland city center doing about 25! The front didn’t even give me any warning the back just went . Nobody was about fortunately and the only problem was i was pointing the wrong way up three lanes of one way road , turned it round and got out to check every think was ok with the car all was fine, my ticker was going like mad. Then next thing to come round the corner was a fuzz car! I was so happy they hadn’t been 20s earlier.

HBB

G81 M3 Touring & A35
Just the roads mate. I've lost all grip suddenly on a few roundabouts. Roads are damp so the oil etc on them becomes slippy but not raining to wash it away.

Fabia vRS
ive had the abs kick in a few times at no speed at all slowing down, it just seems to take a small bump on the braking point and u just slide on the well greasy roads.