ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Slicks (R888) on a standard 197

Clio 197 2008
I have heard from some folks that fitting slicks on a 197 is a bad idea (they claim it requires much stiffer suspension). Is this true? If so, assuming almost no rainy days and budget is not an issue, is there a better tyre for the 197 than Conti SportContact 3?

Thanks mates.

182 Cup
Depends what you want the tyres to do? Are you talking track only?

R888's would be fine on a standard 197.

Better than yours. C*nt.
But a complete waste on a 197 as more can be had from spending the same money on some decent coilovers.

Clio 197 2008
The goal is to shed the most time during track days. Coilovers are not an option atm (the car is still under warranty).

Dirty E91
Coilovers won't void your warranty unless they are the cause of any warranty claim issues you have.

The goal is to shed the most time during track days. Coilovers are not an option atm (the car is still under warranty).
Driver training then, IMHO. Sure, you can throw in more grip but it doesn't make you more talented.

If you must fit new rubber, then look at the Hankook R-S2 which is a much better all round road/track tyre. It's no slouch in the performance department either; I was able to pull a consistent 1.15g at Cadwell with these and a proper suspension set-up (not on a Clio mind).

Phil

Clio 197 2008
Phil - I spent tons of time and cash on training, obviously it's the most important part, but right now my instructors themselves can't lap the track faster than me with my car so it's safe to say it's time to improve something else. Will definitely have a look at the hankoks, 1.15G is f**king ridiculous.

All - if you had the improve either tyres or suspension what would you choose?

Lotus Exige, 182
I've got a 182 so it's not quite the same, but I did my first trackday at the weekend where I ran R888s rather than PE2s and the difference is seriously noticable - the grip level is much higher and you gain a lot of confidence. However, I wouldn't use R888s on the road - there wasn't a lot of grip in the morning on a greasy track and they will probably go off rather quickly if used every day! I'm going to be running them on every track day from now on though.

Note - I have the cup suspension pack, but I'd only spend the money on coilovers if I was going to be using the car mainly on track.

Phil - I spent tons of time and cash on training, obviously it's the most important part, but right now my instructors themselves can't lap the track faster than me with my car so it's safe to say it's time to improve something else. Will definitely have a look at the hankoks, 1.15G is f**king ridiculous.

All - if you had the improve either tyres or suspension what would you choose?
Excellent! Glad to see it ;)

It's pretty much a given that you'll get more grip with different tyres, I don't think that's so clear-cut with suspension (especially since OE is good as standard). Seeing as tyres are consumables, I'd go for those first.

Phil

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
I did 5000 road miles & several trackdays on Hankook rs2's, they are excellent.
£325 for 4:D
The R888's have more grip but at least your car don't sound like a landrover while driving :rasp:

what differentials?

as for decent coilovers, arent R888s only about 600 a set? not sure you could get "decent" coilovers for that. H&R are more than that, although yes they will last longer i know.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
If you're happy with the handling balance of the car, but just wanna go faster, sort the tyres. If you want to change the balance, alter the suspension.