ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Slight buzzing @ 3.5k-5k revs

S3, Polo
My car seems to have developed a metallic buzzing noise that seems to be present when in or out of gear at the above rev range.

There is no loss in power and the car feels as healthy as ever!

It's an OE exhaust - according to the previous owner, the backbox is only about a year old and I have no idea on the age of the rest of the system, but it generally seems very solid (if a little corroded).

I've checked:
- Heat shields
- Fuel rail guard
- Links between exhaust sections
- Exhaust hangers (nearly new)

There don't seem to be any leaks, and it's frustrating the hell out of me because I can't seem to pin it down! :mad:

Any ideas?

ValverInBits
Yup. Mine did that too. Not uncommon. It's normally the baffles inside the centre silencer iirc. Very little you can do without major welder grinder surgery.

Mk5 golf gti
this may sound odd.but try the plastic on the inside of the boot.behind registration plate that part.mine was loose an jus needed tapping in.an it buzzed like fap at 3 to 5 k drove me mad an turned out to be as simple as that lol

S3, Polo
Yup. Mine did that too. Not uncommon. It's normally the baffles inside the centre silencer iirc. Very little you can do without major welder grinder surgery.

Ahhh, ok. Makes sense...

Is it going to cause me any problems (other than the nagging feeling at the back of my mind that the car isn't perfect :eek:)?

Is it time for me to by the BTB Stealth that I've wanted for ages? Damn! :cool:

Definitely not the interior plastics! :)

ValverInBits
Yeah. Just get a proper exhaust system on there. If you want to be sure give the middle section a good bang with the palm of your hand, it normally (only just for a split second) rattles in the same way it would while driving.

S3, Polo
I hope all this replacing bits malarkey lets up soon, there are almost no bits left that I havent replaced in 8 months of ownership!! :(

Yozza'd BG
Have you looked in the engine bay Ben? The Ecu bracket may have snapped like mine did and it made a really annoying noise similar to what your saying.

Nick

+1. Mine has a vibrating noise within the exact same rev range and my ECU bracket has also snapped. Think iv just realised that thats what the problem must be thanks to a fellow Nick:approve:...il check when i go home!

As above...where does the noise come from? Is it the rear of the car since you're talkin about exhausts? Could be a different problem if this is the case and your bracket aint broken.:dapprove:

S3, Polo
HAHAHA! Thats awesome! It came back when I nipped out to grab some lunch.

Just popped out and had a look and with a zip-tie and a bit of hose - voila! It's completely gone!

Legend Nick!

Just need to get a new ECU bracket now! :dapprove:

Black R27, 205gti
ECU bracket did same on mine (fitted ne one), and also the cam cover. So just removed it

Cliosport 182
I hope all this replacing bits malarkey lets up soon, there are almost no bits left that I havent replaced in 8 months of ownership!! :(
Couldnt agree more - I love my car but its costing a fortune, in 8000 miles of driving it ive already replaced 4 tyres, 2 front ball joints, rear discs/pads (front discs are min thickness) and had the aircon repaired. Also ive got the headlight washer tears but just try to ignore it.

Ive just taken it to the garage to check out the exhaust buzzing and knocking : this revealed rotted exhaust hangers (hence knocking), a rotten back box, the buzzing seemed to be inside the back box so I assume baffles?, and the front to mid exhaust joint bolts were rotted resulting in a leak. ( I also checked the ECU bracket and thats cracked!)
Just to rub it in they also spotted that the NSR damper was leaking oil (at least I now know why the handlings gone a bit sketchy lately), the OSF gaiter has leaked everywhere and one of the wheels is buckled !! With the 72K cambelt service also coming up soon at £750+ Ill have to remortgage.

After reading posts here I think Ill go for new OEM rear dampers, OEM front discs but fit the Milltek Cat back exhaust.

S3, Polo
Try auto-nation for uprated discs and pads. Mine were cheaper than going with OE bits!

Also, try JMS for the cambelt service - service is second to none and *very* well priced!