ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Slight hesitation and sluggishness 172

120d M Sport
Hi,

My 172,which has always felt very responsive and lively has got a bit sluggish seemingly in the last week or so.

I also notice it's a bit surgy or hesitant in the lower revs from cold, not that I ever take it past around 3.5k before it's warmed up anyway.

It's doing no better than about 36 mpg on my daily commute which is 32miles, mostly dual carriageway where I sit at 70.

It's had a new lambda sensor in the past according to invoices so I'd hope it's not that, would new spark plugs be a decent shout?

Cheers,
Al.

120d M Sport
Ahh, do these have two? I wouldn't know which one mate just know its had one in the past from an old invoice.

It doesn't misfire as such just hesitates a little through the rev range, it goes away once warmed up but then seems a little sluggish, like the handbrakes partially on!!

Other thought is tdc sensor which did play up a few months back (car wouldn't start) which has been fine since I took out and cleaned, could this need changing?

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
They all hesitate when cold.

I would chuck a set of plugs in, see how it feels then. When was it last serviced/oil changed? That can make a difference.

PS - Make sure you get the correct NGK plugs and use 5w 40 oil

120d M Sport
Last changed the oil less than 1500 miles ago using Fuchs 5w40 stuff from Opie. Always run it on super unleaded too.

Think you're right about the plugs though, I don't know when it would have last had some (if any) though it is on 112k.

Interesting to hear that they all hesitate from cold. I must say I hadn't noticed it before though.

Thanks btw!

04BGFF182CLIORS
Mine also seems to be suffering slightly, even when warm. I put it down to the fact its quite a cammy engine, but maybe it does need plugs/lamda?

It feels slightly flat/hesitant at cruising/traffic speeds (40/45mph) but is fine when you push it a little.

Did you find a solution to this Alex?

clio 172 phs 1
Agreed that they all are a bit hesistant when cold.....mine is too and always has been......