ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Slightly shocked and confused!

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Clio RS 200 Gordini
Hi Gents,

I'm confused. I thought these cars have around 185BHP or am I going about this the wrong way?

Pulling out of work earlier and my friend in his 1.4 Little Chevvy thing wanted a pull, the car was quarter heated at this point so I wasn't worried about cold racing, it was nearly there. Anyway, after messing up 1st>2nd, I finally got it in there after he gained about a car length (Totally my bad) and I started to catch up with him. However, the catch up process was no where near what I was expecting. I was literally creeping towards then away from him. Is this the traction control limiting the power to the wheels to stop them slipping or am I just a totally retarded driver? (You can be brutally honest, I wouldn't ask if I didn't want the truth). Anyway, obviously I pulled massively ahead after third gear. Is this to do with traction control and how much power a FWD car can put down?

Thanks.

Other information: Car has done 12k miles, oil is honey colour and is well serviced. I drive economically between 1k-2k and then I have some fun occasionally and throttle it.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
It doesn't put out 185 (or whatever it does) at all engine speeds .. You will only get full power at ~6k RPM .. keep it lit and you should have blown him away before you hit the national speed limit at the top of 2nd TBH.

Clio RS 200 Gordini
It doesn't put out 185 (or whatever it does) at all engine speeds .. You will only get full power at ~6k RPM .. keep it lit and you should have blown him away before you hit the national speed limit at the top of 2nd TBH.

I guess it was just me being a s**t driver! Need practice. Thanks dude! By the way, is there anyway to increase the sound of the shift beep? The engine sound is absolutely roaring over the sound of the beep so much so that I'm not really used to the sound of the engine reaching its max revs yet. To me, it just seems to go on forever.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
At max revs, it'll be far past max power.

Not difficult to keep an eye on the rev counter really....

Change up at ~6500 when everything's nice and warm (oil takes 5-10x longer to warm up than water BTW), and keep going through the gears. These things only really move properly if you keep it lit between 5-7k IME.

Clio RS 200 Gordini
Cool cool. Probably s**t driving, I've been up for a fair few hours.

Thanks, will try again soon. On another note, I did do it again afterwards on my own and got to 50 by the time I looked down.

Suzuki Jimny
The limiter beep is miles louder than the engine!

Sounds like the car wasn't up to temp. There's a lower limit when cold.

Yeah if you're going by the temperature gauge, quarter heated is most likely still the cold map.

Give it at least 5-10min before hammering it (temp gauge will be at full for a good few mins, as the WHOLE engine goes up to temp, not just where the sensor is :p)

At max revs, it'll be far past max power.

Not difficult to keep an eye on the rev counter really....

Change up at ~6500 when everything's nice and warm (oil takes 5-10x longer to warm up than water BTW), and keep going through the gears. These things only really move properly if you keep it lit between 5-7k IME.

Not in a 197/200. The power tails off about 7500 on those

To be brutally honest they're not that quick at any revs. Fast enough of course, but not rapid enough to truly destroy normal cars.

The majority don't realise that to properly tear anything a new arsehole, you need massive power advantages. Like triple. Unless you're dk, whose laden car weight is knocking on the door of two tons, yet he still manages to leave Veyrons in his [sizeable] wake.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

this , do people think that a clio will tear part your everyday cars ? As Munsun says they are not that Fast,

when you get stuff thats sub 5 to 60 and stretches on past 150mph then you can distroy things , the diference of say 2 or 3 seconds to 60 is not enough that from a fluffed start you would not need a fair amount of road to catch and pass another car.

For real. I've been on the autobahn in a 380hp Mk II Focus RS with a GPS verified 165+ top speed, and been slightly disappointed at what isn't disappearing as quickly as I'd like in my rear view mirror :D

Swift Sport
...And if you do have enough power to annihilate average cars, it's often difficult to do so due to variables such as driver ability, traffic, braking distances and road conditions. It's easier to drive a slow car hard.

The 200 excels on a B-road. Not much is better. Even massively faster cars would need a very skilled driver to leave one behind on a twisty road. The only exception being that the Cup suspension is a little too stiffly sprung for making maximum progress on very bumpy tarmac.

They are not drag racing cars.

Wow
That would get boring on the roads very quickly (how ironic...)

What do they ignition cut at ?! 7600 lol ?!

The 200 feels very much like you're waiting for something that never happens. They are quick, but never feel unruly. Straight line speed, it feels like waiting for the next gear change. They're also s**t on the motorway.

Status
Not open for further replies.