ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Small Bandpass Subs...

I am thinking of building a small and discreet sub box with some left over bits an peices... Anybody have experience of Bandpass boxes and the type of noise they produce?

right 1st off, a bandpass enclosure will not exactly be a small box, for argument sake, it will be the size of a sealed and a ported box mounted together

taken from the tech info supplied to me when i started my installation training with Lightening Audio

Bandpass Enclosure

Pros

Acoustic gain can be built in. This means one speaker can be as loud as two or more (using the same power input) over a limited part of the spectrum.

Specific low frequency performance can be designed, inclusing lower cut-offs than would normally be possible with simpler boxes.

Cone excursion can be altered by design, reducing distortion and improving power handling.

Cons

Box construction is considerable more complex.

The more acoustic gain you design into th enclosure, the more boomy they tend to sound.

Boxes designed for extended low frequency performance will have less SPL output than a vented or selaed enclosure.

if you need any more advice regarding bandpass enclosures, by all means just ask, i will be hapy to help

its my box of choice by the way

Thanx for the reply!

I am trying to do this on a stupidly low budget (as in $0)... :oops: and Im going to be using the more unconventional choice of a 6x9 as the basis for the design...

This is mainly as I already have a couple lying around, and I also have to consider the shape of the box, as I drive an estate...

The box will be on view... I think a long thin box that stretches the width of the boot will be easier to disguise, and there is the bonus that the speaker will not be on display...

What advantage do the additional baffles and chambers give in the bandpass design?

I am not too worries about the type of base produced as I have an Equaliser that I will be using specifically for this purpose...