ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

snapped bolts on renfort circlip plate

Clio 172 Cup
ive had a renfort circlip plate fitted for over 1000 miles now and ive somehow managed to snap all 8 of the screws securing it and am back to square 1.........could they have worked loose thats why they have snapped or has anyone else had this problem? and no i wasnt hammering it it was coming to a roundabout at slow speed and lost drive.....

Clio 172 Cup
oh right it wasnt my mechanic not fitting the screws right then! hes going to try seam welding the circlip in now instead......or is a gearbox rebuild a better option with agency who fix the circlip problem dont they? obviously going to be expensive tho....

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
are the bolts not high strength?
seems odd that a few of the revised versions are snapping off.
The bolts are M5 stainless steel in the one I've seen that's failed. As I'm sure your probably aware, stainless steel is not designed for high tensile applications.

oh right it wasnt my mechanic not fitting the screws right then! hes going to try seam welding the circlip in now instead......or is a gearbox rebuild a better option with agency who fix the circlip problem dont they? obviously going to be expensive tho....
Your better off with a gearbox rebuild imo. Re-use the plate just use high tensile M5 countersunk bolts and loctite. That's all I've done on one I fitted. Still going strong now and the driver is a proper stick 'n' arse type of youth.