ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

So.... im thinking of getting a clio v6...

I want to get myself a clio v6 for a year or so. Got a quote from my insurance company and they want £700 on top of what im paying (that would take it to £1900 for the year). The only big downfall with getting a v6 is the fact that they are thirsty buggers, it doesn’t help that im doing nearly 1800 miles a month, which equates to around £450 a month in fuel! And I would have to be paying £250 for finance (that’s for a 12k v6). My insurance would be paid off straight away, so I wouldn’t need to worry about that till next year.

So, I have a few options, unless someone else has a bright idea, which option is best.

• Run the v6 as a daily, racking up 18k miles in a year, but I would have the pleasure of driving it everyday! Spending lots of money in the mean time on fuel is a con. I live on the main road as well, so there is the possibility of some cnut scratching it, and general wear and tear
  • Buy a cheap daily runner, pay it off with the money from my 182 trade in, paying around £1200 (insurance inc). Do the 250 miles a week to work, and use the v6 for weekends and week nights, possibly renting a garage to store it in. My insurance would probably be less than 1900 because I would only be doing around 8k miles a year and it would be stored somewhere secure. But renting a garage would be an additional cost.
  • Don’t be so *”$%£^ mad and keep my 182 and save moneys for a house
  • Buy an alternative car ( maybe new) with higher average mpg
  • Buy a cheaper v6 (mk1), which would be less finance and insurance, saving me a few penny’s a month.
  • It’s a stupid idea, give up and stop talking.

What are the running costs like for the v6? I take it you have to fill ‘em up with super unleaded?

Any other comments would be good.
Cheers

Maybe a 172 Cup..
If I was doing 1800 miles a month mate, V6 wouldn't be on the Radar. The end.

Why not get a Trophy or something. Or get a GT TDI Golf and a phase 1 172 for track. That's the way I'd be going....

Maybe a 172 Cup..
£350-£400 a month on fuel at around £5 - £5.30 a gallon.......

Just re-read your post, last option IMO;)

I worked it out at 5.44 per gallon @ 21mpg for 1800miles. Thats being conservative. If only i lived closer to work... .

Crappy work hire car
I worked it out at 5.44 per gallon @ 21mpg for 1800miles. Thats being conservative. If only i lived closer to work... .

Obviously I don't know your situation, but can't you move closer to work?

Better than yours. C*nt.
If I was doing 1800 miles a month mate, V6 wouldn't be on the Radar. The end.

Why not get a Trophy or something. Or get a GT TDI Golf and a phase 1 172 for track. That's the way I'd be going....

What he said.

V6 costs:

£400 a pair of tyres.
£1500 for the service that a £12k V6 will need (and that's not doing everything)
18mpg. Maybe 20mpg. Probably the former for the mostpart.
Tax is the same as the 1*2 though!
Look forward to brakes. £600-ish for discs and pads on the front. £4-500 for the same up the chuff.
Don't crash it. £1000 a body panel.

Other than that, enjoy it!

Crappy work hire car
What he said.

V6 costs:

£400 a pair of tyres.
£1500 for the service that a £12k V6 will need (and that's not doing everything)
Look forward to brakes. £600-ish for discs and pads on the front. £4-500 for the same up the chuff.

Crikey that would put me off right there! Vampire, bleeding you dry...

320d
I'd say it was a bad idea to be honest mate. Doing circa 20,000 miles in a year is going to hammer its resale value.

What he said.

V6 costs:

£400 a pair of tyres.

See, these are the thing i need to know BEFORE i buy, lol i think i need to have a rethink ;).

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Why are the brakes so expensive for OE?

Because they are Renault only--- The front disks are 330 mm & the only people to make them- motor factors only go up to 310mm

KTEC do some with alloy bells- IIRC which are in the ballpark of 600 as well-

The Vee disks all warp at some stage-
S

Iceberg 172
You'd be off your tits.

Purely based on the mileage.

You've said you only want it for a year... If you're going to put 1800 miles on a month have you thought about the resale value?

Clio 1970000000
With all the others here. You will be certifiable if your bought a V6 to get trashed on a main road and do over 20k miles a year on it.

If you want fun and have that much money to blow, buy a shed and spend the rest on hookers :evil:

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
Stupidity, when you factor finance/fuel/servicing/practicalityinsurance, wait until you can properly afford it IMO :)

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Keep the 182, get something cheap and good mpg to go to work in. Then you can reduce the insurance a bit on the 182 (limited milage) then spend the savings on modding the 182.
I will be in a similar situation in september time. Going to buy a cheap second car to drive to work then turn the cup into a weekend/track car. I was thinking bout buying something nuts, like a V6, but i think I will have just as much fun in the modded cup! Plus apparently I get access to the work car at my new job :cool:

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
buy a 2k dci and stick all your miles on that @ 65mpg then have the vee for the weekend if you want one, altho if you stay on a main road chances are it will go walkabout!

Clio 197
Costs are a bit of a pig, on the plus side you'll have V6 handy when you want some entertainment :)

Tbh on the motorway they are very 'droney' and maneuvering around town is a bit of a b**ch.

Get one with the service done recently, new tyres fitted recently and new front discs fitted recently and you wont really have any other costs than petrol and insurance.

(just so happens I know of such a car ;))

-Mark.

ph 2 172
Get it... I have just been forced into selling my impreza by the wife cos we now have a child and she has drpped to part time at work and i am gutted.....you only live once and if you can truly afford this and are really serious do it or you will forever regret it when you get married and have kids... anybody who uses the argument of mpg cos t and insurance isnt a true car lover lol

PH1 V6
im also going to break the mould and say DO IT! maybe wait a couple of months and save some money aside (sacrifice going out etc) to put into a "maintainence account".

I would love to own a V6 purely for the statement they give off. its unreal. although even i would question doing 1800 miles a month on it! servicing will come round very very quickly at that rate!

if i owned one it would be a weekend car

Trophy #240/R33 GTST
Get the V6 but have it as a weekend car! The garage thing if you were to have it as a daily runner would you garage it? Maybe don't garage it to start with then see how it goes!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Don't try and live a champagne lifetsyle on lemonade money

This.

If you could afford the vee cash the I'd say go for it as you obviously have enough money and might as well enjoy your work car. But the fact you are going to finance it suggests you cant really afford it.

I'd keep the 182 and save for a house.

M3 SMG
You only live once true, but there will be better cars (IMO) that u
you could run for less that would be more suitible as an everyday car

I would say get the MK1, little cheaper than mk2 n still gives off same awww!
Cars are always expensive, just different degrees so would find out if you could defo afford it!
Would only use it for a weekend car n get a diesel for your daily commute!

DMS

A thirsty 172
I think the general concensus is that if you aren't sure if you'll be able to afford it, you most probably can't.
Also, don't forget that although fuel is £5 odd per gallon now, at the rate it's currently going up it won't be long before it's £7 odd per gallon so running costs are only going to increase. Same with car tax - it only ever goes up over time. Then you've got insurance - being able to afford it is one thing, but if you crash and your premium more or less doubles, could you afford it then?

Okay, so the v6 is a slightly mad idea, still affordable, but it would cost a bomb.

What about a Lotus Elise s2 or a VX220?

What are the running costs compared to the 182? How much are services and how regular?

Is this idea even worse??

Thanks for the replies :)

Last edited:
  Elise 111R
Okay, so the v6 is a slightly mad idea, still affordable, but it would cost a bomb.

What about a Lotus Elise s2 or a VX220?

What are the running costs compared to the 182? How much are services and how regular?

Is this idea even worse??

Thanks for the replies :)

Depends really.

It depends on the model of Elise or VX220 variant.

I've moved up to a 111R as for power delivery its probably the most similar.

I wont talk about the benefits as it is obviously a better drivers car and a better experience. But it isn't markably better all round and for pace its on par with the elise down a normal road.

As for cost,

Add 250 quid to the tyre budget (the rears die within 9k and cost about 300 but between them fronts are cheaper)

Servicing is a bit more expensive

However the parts..... i've been fairly unlucky (although all has been covered by good will or warranty) and Murray lotus have probably spent 2.5k in doing bits and pieces since i picked her up 7 months ago.... one item the throttle body went which was a £987 part then you've got labour!!

The big thing though and something you wont get in a V6 is the MPG it is as good or better than the 182. This means that i wont have to worry about the cost of petrol or think wow i cant afford to go out for a random run.

If you go for it get a lotus stage 2 exhaust and then drive everywhere in 2nd gear for the pops and bangs :D

172 cup
you deffinetly need to have a re-think if its going to be purchased on finance. If you cant afford the car out right how in gods name can you maintain it?