ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

So What Is The Best Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They pull very well from 40-100
Im waiting to pick up my phase2 172, trading my old turbo diesel octavia in :)
The clio has 11 ft lbs less and no turbo and its just as quick im really impressed.
You can be lazy and drive it like a diesel too lol, its got good pickup in 5th :) - wont be doing much of that though

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
zero chance williams V v6- the vee owned every renaultsport clio at one time or another in every gear at any speed-

Ive had 7 v6 & 50 Clios- im in a reasonable position to comment..

overall fastest = v6

best all round drive easily 200 cup ....

Most head turning v6

Worst- 182 NON CUPPED PACKED.
S

efa Steve old boy!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Can anyone else substantiate this claim that a standard Williams sticks with a Clio V6 up to 110mph?

I'm not normally one for racing or getting caught up in the numbers, but this is intriguing.

Not a f**king chance.The williams boys have been spouting this crap for years ,probably about one car which was stripped to within an inch and not standard,then once this car ran a time once(never ever repeated)then this became the standard book figure for all williams ever made.
When i had my 172 and 182 a guy round the corner had a m plate willy.I never ever lost a blast(numerous)most of which was in a straight line on a d/c say from 30 to 000mph off an island.
Its times like these i wish the guy was a member to back this up...

2live will be along soon to tell me it never happened...lol

williams and trophy
http://www.streetfire.net/video/williams-vs-172_70144.htm

http://www.streetfire.net/video/nana-vs-1-in-front-nana-b4-yellow-1-in-front-b4_73232.htm

only 2 vids i can find of mine before the mods. the cam car in 2nd vid was weights....stripped hybrid, later became known as the nana. i hit the limiter in 3rd ....top end of 3rd was about 87 iirc. from almost 27 secs in to just under 100 mph at 42 secs. ish

1st vid was paddys rapid flamer......no slouch either. on our private test track.

of course none of this happened cos the cok monsun says its impossible.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Are the FIA taking this timing into consideration next year?

182 Trophy
I've had a dual with a V6 ph2 with my 182 and there's really not much between them below 100mph. Ofcourse there could be many different reasons... maybe the other guy didn't quite know how to get the best out of his car etc but regardless, he couldn't loose me. I even had to slow down at one point to make it safer for him and let him pass me. At the roundabouts, I would've gone around him if it wasn't for the V6' fat @rse taking up two lanes. http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...A6-Leicester&p=6340043&highlight=#post6340043

Once tried it with a Williams but that was too quick off the mark but it was definatly heavily modified and I'm not one to do launches in my car. Sounded like he had ITBs

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Its interesting how some the comments on here pertain to ownership of that individual car-

I have a lovely stretch of road near me- running from bluewater up to the dartford bridge, over the M2 & along what can best be desrcibed as a race track up to Erith-

It has 2 perfect sweeping roundabouts, in terms of STANDARD v STANDARD- these areb the best cars in terms of cornering speeds-

200 cup- Possibly 5-8 MPH faster through the roundabout that the rest
200 + Cup pack Good by more understeer than the 200
R27-- prob a couple of MPH of the 200 & 4/5 off the 200 Cup
Trophy Good but if I tried to take in at 200 pace I would have been in the hedge- Suspension noticably better than the 182- but even this has limited capability-

182 Cuppack- mega understeer- you can throw it in & give it a bit of oppo' but at the end of the day the chassis isnt in the same league as the 200

172 PH1---- not bad- no real difference to the 182-

The Vee sits somewhere in there on handling- I havent had one for a year now & I dont think it would be anyone close to the R27's or 200- probably even behind the trophy- so that would be an even race given the straight line speed V the poor cornering speed-

I know I keep saying it- the 200 Cup is EPIC- the steering rack is different to the standard one & it made the handling stunning-
Every car that i followed into any bend at speed was no comparison to the cup-

My current r32, my old ST, the Clio V6 & so forth will have no answer for that car-

the 200 Cup is a clear winner in overall experience- although just a tad on the weak side for out & out acceleration.....

I raced a rolling 50 MPH start through a speed camera with me in a PH1 & the other half in the 200 ( non cup) 3rd gear & the 200 just pulled away in the top end of forth--- ( shes a pretty good driver)

Verdic- Fastest in a straight line VEE- ( as long as you have commitment & driving ability as it can be twitchy)

The most fun on a typical B-road scenario- 200 CUP---

S

williams and trophy
That's how the Olympic times are recorded now. Ish-technology.

yeah cos drag racings an olympic sport...i never said it was exact timings. i said roughly. the evidance is in front of your eyes yet you still dispute it. not like you to try cause arguments....especicially with my posts now is it??

I've had a dual with a V6 ph2 with my 182 and there's really not much between them below 100mph. Ofcourse there could be many different reasons... maybe the other guy didn't quite know how to get the best out of his car etc but regardless, he couldn't loose me. I even had to slow down at one point to make it safer for him and let him pass me. At the roundabouts, I would've gone around him if it wasn't for the V6' fat @rse taking up two lanes. http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...A6-Leicester&p=6340043&highlight=#post6340043

cant have happened mate. .. the vee is the be all and end all .....lol

Once tried it with a Williams but that was too quick off the mark but it was definatly heavily modified and I'm not one to do launches in my car. Sounded like he had ITBs
o

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
^^ Good post Steve! You've made me really want to try a 200 cup, lol!

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Fast isnt always fun- but fastest navigating through b -roads must be best...??? as opposed to fastest in a straight line...
Fastest cornering speed must = highest fun ??....

S

williams and trophy
Its interesting how some the comments on here pertain to ownership of that individual car-

I have a lovely stretch of road near me- running from bluewater up to the dartford bridge, over the M2 & along what can best be desrcibed as a race track up to Erith-

It has 2 perfect sweeping roundabouts, in terms of STANDARD v STANDARD- these areb the best cars in terms of cornering speeds-

200 cup- Possibly 5-8 MPH faster through the roundabout that the rest
200 + Cup pack Good by more understeer than the 200
R27-- prob a couple of MPH of the 200 & 4/5 off the 200 Cup
Trophy Good but if I tried to take in at 200 pace I would have been in the hedge- Suspension noticably better than the 182- but even this has limited capability-

182 Cuppack- mega understeer- you can throw it in & give it a bit of oppo' but at the end of the day the chassis isnt in the same league as the 200

172 PH1---- not bad- no real difference to the 182-

The Vee sits somewhere in there on handling- I havent had one for a year now & I dont think it would be anyone close to the R27's or 200- probably even behind the trophy- so that would be an even race given the straight line speed V the poor cornering speed-

I know I keep saying it- the 200 Cup is EPIC- the steering rack is different to the standard one & it made the handling stunning-
Every car that i followed into any bend at speed was no comparison to the cup-

My current r32, my old ST, the Clio V6 & so forth will have no answer for that car-

the 200 Cup is a clear winner in overall experience- although just a tad on the weak side for out & out acceleration.....

I raced a rolling 50 MPH start through a speed camera with me in a PH1 & the other half in the 200 ( non cup) 3rd gear & the 200 just pulled away in the top end of forth--- ( shes a pretty good driver)

Verdic- Fastest in a straight line VEE- ( as long as you have commitment & driving ability as it can be twitchy)

The most fun on a typical B-road scenario- 200 CUP---

S

maybe we own that certain car because things havent moved all all that much?? i mean obviously the brakes/safety features have moved on, but in terms of actual FUN/DRIVABILITY they havent moved on all that much at all. iv driven the 172s, 182s, trophy, v6, 200s. i just find they rely too much on the electrics and driver aids to feel like your in control of the car now. i also notice how you slate the williams to such an extent that you havent added into your little list. lol. have you even driven 1??

also interesting to see you say the vee owned every rs, but then give the best all round drive to the 200 cup.......doesnt sound like it owns that tbh. as most will know, and this has been brought up many many times over the years, theres very little difference between the vees and the 1*2s, apart from of course, the halfords bodykit and laguna lump ;)

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
I didnt slate the williams as Ive never had one although from my encounters with them they wasnt that quick-

The vee is quickest in acceleration in terms of straight line speed although the cornering esp the ph1 isnt that great-

Whether there are driver aids helping or not there is a 'significant'difference between entry & exit speeds on the 200 cup V the other models in the range- If you based your choice to buy on pure excitement that a car could deliver it would be the 200, it trounces the rest-

However if you include the 'value for money factor' with some £ value of car V 'excitement' factor then the 200 cup'probably doesnt win ( although that wasnt the original topic)-

taking all that into account with money the trophy would win probably close on its heels would be a nice PH1....... if you pay 6.5k for a trophy £12.5k for a 200 cup there isnt circa 6k worth more fun......

S

Last edited:

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I didnt slate the williams as Ive never had one although from my encounters with them they wasnt that quick-

The vee is quickest in acceleration in terms of straight line straight line speed although the cornering esp the ph1 isnt that great-

Whether there are driver aids helping or not there is a 'significant'difference between entry & exit speeds on the 200 cup V the other models in the range- If you based your choice to buy on pure excitement that a car could deliver it would be the 200, it trounces the rest-

However if you include the 'value for money factor' with some £ value of car V 'excitement' factor then the 200 cup'probably doesnt win ( although that wasnt the original topic)-

taking all that into account with money the trophy would win probably close on its heels would be a nice PH1....... if you pay 6.5k for a trophy £12.5k for a 200 cup there isnt circa 6k worth more fun......

S

If that was the case then the 200 would've killed the 182 time on things like 5th gears shootout but it didn't. Not unless the 200 is dog slow in the straights...

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Its not dog slow but not really a lot quicker- again also depends what track you have- I bet a track with tighter turns & less straights would suit the 200 & vee, infact an oval would be best suited for that! ;)
S

Completely disagree with being faster through some corners being more fun, that's tosh in my mind. But as always its different opinions...

For fun regardless of how fast your going, i'd be going with a williams. A standard VTS is right up there also...

williams and trophy

The vee is quickest in acceleration in terms of straight line speed although the cornering esp the ph1 isnt that great-

S

so basically, like gally n munson. your making assumptions on a car youv never driven. nuff said.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Can you highlight where I ever mentioned the williams other than to say they wasnt that fast?-

what have been my assumptions then..........

& you have driven them all or owned any?-- I commented on the range of which ive had- i cant comment on the 172 cup or the the williams other than to say the williams wasnt that quick when compared with both my ph1 & ph2 vees-

My comments on the cornering speed of the 200 was in comparison of driving the above range over the same ground week in week out

Im really surprised that nick says the 182 is the of equal through the corners, however that car may require a different driving style to maximise the potential of the car-
All I recall is cornering on the 200 very very fast - then collecting a 182 the next day & taking the same corner at around 5-10 MPH slower & still nearly understeering into a hedge-!!

Like I say though it may require a different style- I dont infer im the best driver in the world- however if you stick with one driver then whatever their ability all cars tested should have a level playing field.....

S

Last edited:
so basically, like gally n munson. your making assumptions on a car youv never driven. nuff said.

I have driven the Williams, although it was back in the day when I didn't really know much about driving. I'm not making any assumptions at all. The only thing that's raised my eyebrow is the suggestion that they are 5s quicker to 100mph than book figures. FIVE SECONDS. Then again, we know you're only trolling anyway, and I thought I'd come along for the ride, so to speak.

williams and trophy
you say the best is the trophy, or is it the 200? i cant keep track lol, yet you cant comment on the williams or 172 cup. 2 of the very best rs es. maybe you should give them a try and come to a proper, well informed conclusion.

but then you say the 200 is best. in terms of value for money,the trophy is. think trophy poise and pace for a fraction of the cost, then you have the williams in all its essence ;)

iv not owned the rest of the rs range, but have driven most of them on roads i know well. apart from the vee. that was somewhere i didnt know.

435D X-Drive
so i have a met with a pug 306 gti 6 running throttle bodies? how would a 1*2 compare against that??

What was that you were bleating on about? Assumptions? PMSL.

Mind you captain, if you can steer a standard Williams to 100mph in 15 seconds then you're clearly a heroic wheelman.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
you say the best is the trophy, or is it the 200? i cant keep track lol, yet you cant comment on the williams or 172 cup. 2 of the very best rs es. maybe you should give them a try and come to a proper, well informed conclusion.

but then you say the 200 is best. in terms of value for money,the trophy is. think trophy poise and pace for a fraction of the cost, then you have the williams in all its essence ;)

iv not owned the rest of the rs range, but have driven most of them on roads i know well. apart from the vee. that was somewhere i didnt know.

if money no object & for fun 200 cup-

'value for money'probably the trophy'

I dont really fancy either a 172 cup or a williams- They are at the bottom end of any margins & with the williams I would be searching forever to find one that fits my spec to buy-
The only 172 cup I considered buying was GAZ on here- but it wasnt standard-

At the end of the day thats my opinion out of the range of cars ive had on a week in week out basis over the last 2 years-

If you look Im comparing Phase 1 172, Phase 2 172, Cupped 182, R27, trophy,Clio 200, Clio 200 cup & clio v6- thats 8 of the range- Just the other 2 to compare-

If williams owners want to say they are the most fun then fair enough- but at least have a fair comparison & sample size- test drives dont count either....
S

williams and trophy
lol @ test drives......me 'test driving' a 172 ;)

[youtube]4Ji9B8gXPV8[/youtube]

somewhere else i didnt know...as you will probably be able to tell....in a car i didnt know. 1st drive of car and track.....btw there was an ex clio cup car behind me getting smaller and smaller....lol

Stripped yozza'd cup
This is bloody marvellous this. Lol.
A very entertaining half hour of reading.

2live, I don't understand what your problem is with steve's review? Tbh it was very good. He hasn't commented on any car that he has not had a good drive in and I would completely agree about the 200. Epic car.

Whether outright b road pace is more fun, I'm not sure. IMO, I think the 172 cup is more fun, being a less accomplished car makes it more entertaining.

Williams bhp/tonne - 155
172 cup bhp/tonne - 170.85

If the Williams' 0-100 is 5 seconds quicker than quoted, that makes it quicker than an R26.R and only 0.6 slower than a mk2 FRS. Righto.

Last edited:
PMSL at that video. What's the purpose of that then? Look at me stabbing the throttle on & off on the way to the apex? Awesome ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.