ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

So What Is The Best Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
This topic seems to have brought the RustyArch crew over with their wing mirror spiders so a fight can't be far off.
He only seems to post when the word Williams is mentioned.

Maybe i'm too noob to know his ways. :eek:

Evo 5 RS
lol @ this thread

Depends what your definition of SHED is really. Is it just old cars in general or clapped out cars? See a shed to me, is any car which has had a rough life and looks and drives like hell. Could be 2 years old could be 18.

That's not aimed at any post in particular either, just the way I see it ;o

williams and trophy
Lol I never mentioned the Puma. I ment the 205 and Williams. I like the Puma look although it's got a bit of a *girls car* image due to most being driven by women and old ladies. If I didn't always see women driving it, then I would've actually bought one as a second car instead of my Polo as I like Fords and I hear they're good handlers. Anyway I hope there's no more talk about 205s, Williams or Pumas in this thread now.

think you mitev missed this....lol

williams and trophy
He only seems to post when the word Williams is mentioned.

Maybe i'm too noob to know his ways. :eek:

and lol..i posted the first reply on this. the op wanted to know the best 2.0 clio to drive, obviously its the williams....has been since its introduction.

Quite like the Williams TBH. My old man used to own one and I loved it back in the day. Pretty slow though, by today's standards?

williams and trophy
depends really. not as powerful as todays modern hot hatches. but then nowhere near the weight of them either.

still. 0-60 high 6 low 7 secs. not groundbreaking by any means
0-100 high 14s low 15s..not too shabby

but as for drivability....its right up there with todays hot hatches.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
think you mitev missed this....lol

You missed the point of it being a second car mate ;)

I think this has gone on too far, if you want to talk about williams and there greatness open up another thread instead of opening a can of worms on eachother its pointless and we're no further forward than we were 8 pages ago. Everyone has their own opinion and everyone likes different things, some things people agree on and others well....arguments happen sadly.

Whether you have a clio williams, 205, FRP etc they're all iconic cars from different generations and I respect all of them for their own merits. Be proud to own either of them as they're future classics and can still be enjoyed to this day for the reasons they made good drivers cars back in their day.

williams and trophy
14.8s 1/4 at 96 iirc standard. like i said...would most likely b low 15s, but with less fuel etc that could well be high 14s

SC Ph1 172 and M140i
Iv changed my mind too.. It had to be the Ph1, clable throttle no delay in throttle response , slightly lighter and much meaner looking front end :rasp:

^ This :)

As for the rest.

Revels - thanks for making me feel so welcome again :rasp:

greendestiny - you are gonna have to go out and buy a new car now so as not to look a twonk in your dated Trophy ;)

Silent scone - spot on with your shed description :)

chris205 - well said

Last edited:
Yawn, this is all so boring. Who really cares which one is quicker as there all relatively the same pace when it comes to real life, figures mean half of naff all!

To put it straight, the 172 cup and Trophy are the best drive out of the Mk2's. Ph1's good also only because of it feeling a little rawer and cable throttle. More capable than the Mk1s...

However driving a Williams and 16v is fantastic, may not be as capable or well built as the Mk2's however they are a riot to drive in standard form! No explaining it but thats what i've found...

Thats based on road driving only.

1294972950.jpg

The answer is clear

williams and trophy
Figures do mean something when a Clio Williams is quicker to 100mph than a Clio V6.

depends whos figures you look at. most press stats are wrong for a start. iv raced v6s and theres not been much in it til top end where they just disappear. they pull a little off the mark then the gap stays pretty much the same til about 110+

and as for cable vs electric throttle....cable every time

Last edited:
  260% JCW
Evo issue 146 sorts this out, the best of the Sport Clios in a shoot out. Williams,172,Trophy,V6 and 200cup. Note there are no 197s in the line up or mention of them all the way through, Wonder why.....cough cough.....

Any how the Trophy and Williams came out trumps.

Evo 5 RS
Evo issue 146 sorts this out, the best of the Sport Clios in a shoot out. Williams,172,Trophy,V6 an 200. Note there are no 197s in the line up or mention of them all the way through, Wonder why.....cough cough.....

Any how the Trophy and Williams came out trumps.

yeah but evo also reckon a healthy run-in standard 200 cup makes 205bhp

SHEDZ

260% JCW
Dodgy dyno maybe or maybe its true.......

Either way, the amount of cars they review and drive i think they'd know a thing or two.

Can anyone else substantiate this claim that a standard Williams sticks with a Clio V6 up to 110mph?

I'm not normally one for racing or getting caught up in the numbers, but this is intriguing.

That issue got cleared up then! I know that the best Clio to drive out of a 172/182/cup is a williams, which is shed/classic, as fast to 100 as the Vee(lol!), and ford racing puma's were 23k new and didn't sell 10 years ago. Riiiiight

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Can anyone else substantiate this claim that a standard Williams sticks with a Clio V6 up to 110mph?

I'm not normally one for racing or getting caught up in the numbers, but this is intriguing.

The 1/4 mile times are fairly impressive. But done at york which is downhill and counted with an abacus...

Logicially. My 172 (192bhp) was significantly quicker than my williams (158bhp) And my Vee is/was quicker than my 172, but not by much...

225 Cup & Williams
^^ My 172 is faster than my Williams too and it's standard. I find those 0 - 100 times very hard to believe lol.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
zero chance williams V v6- the vee owned every renaultsport clio at one time or another in every gear at any speed-

Ive had 7 v6 & 50 Clios- im in a reasonable position to comment..

overall fastest = v6

best all round drive easily 200 cup ....

Most head turning v6

Worst- 182 cup

S

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
It's hard not to love an old car really, a lot of the safety features added to new cars really take away the fun and feeling of speed away from you. I'm more of a 106 rallye person myself, no power steering, abs, electic mirrors, windows, sunroof etc its just you and the car doing the work and that's the fun in driving but I'd rather have one as a second car as a toy than a daily driver.

These things are getting old now and need a lot of attention at times to keep them in prime condition. Hats off to the people who are keeping the williams as daily drivers though it takes dedication at times

Status
Not open for further replies.