ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sold my v6

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Iceberg 172
Looks absolutely awesome chris. Looks like alot of the hard work has been done for you too. How much did you pick it up for if you dont mind me asking? I'm going to wait till i've had my clio a year or two before i move on but 200sx is looking like a good option thanks to reading about tom/rich's. I dont like the look of them as standard but toms and yours looks really nice imo. Sorry rich!! The tunability and rwd fun factor is just what i'm looking for.

As for ahmet, please let chris be the judge of what car he likes. I'm sure you'll hear about any gripes he has with the car if he experiences any. Only time will tell whether he made the right decision but its his car, his choice. Keep your opinions as opinions and dont state them as fact.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
damon said:
200sx is looking like a good option thanks to reading about tom/rich's. I dont like the look of them as standard but toms and yours looks really nice imo. Sorry rich!!

No probs mate, there are plans to sort that out though...

I'd rather spend my money on performance, handling and brake upgrades before I spend them on styling, which is what's been done and that's why it goes like a rocket but still looks fairly standard at the moment, although I'm on the lookout for some nice wheels.

Once I fit the lowered suspension (already got) and get some nice rims on it will look sweet. :cool:

yeah but Rich, looking standard it's all the more funny when you leave some quick cars for dead, the owners faces are always a right picture :D

I bet Matt had some fun in the TT when that was on the roads! muhahahahaha

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
TheJesus said:
yeah but Rich, looking standard it's all the more funny when you leave some quick cars for dead, the owners faces are always a right picture :D

This is true, it does surprise people... especially my mate in his Evo! :approve:

oooh careful Rich, you're not allowed to mention being quicker than an Evo or Impreza on here without some serious backlash... afterall, they are the quickest cars and are made directly by God himself lol

car? need a license 1st!
nice car Chris, I'm with u on this one! I'd have the 200sx over a clio v6 anyday.

After all the stories I've read on here about V6's going wrong, breaking down, being slow, heavy, s**t on backroads..

Get some pimp ass Jap turbo power and steer with the back wheels!!! its the way forward :p

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
TheJesus said:
oooh careful Rich, you're not allowed to mention being quicker than an Evo or Impreza on here without some serious backlash... afterall, they are the quickest cars and are made directly by God himself lol

:quiet:

Iceberg 172
Rich-D said:
No probs mate, there are plans to sort that out though...

I'd rather spend my money on performance, handling and brake upgrades before I spend them on styling, which is what's been done and that's why it goes like a rocket but still looks fairly standard at the moment, although I'm on the lookout for some nice wheels.

Once I fit the lowered suspension (already got) and get some nice rims on it will look sweet. :cool:

Your priorities are spot on :)

I'm looking forward to seeing it with those mods because thats the kinda thing I'd be aiming for too. Should smarten it up a treat. I like the back of them as they are but I think i'd end up fitting a more aggressive looking bumper suitable for a lardy intercooler!

RenaultSport Clio 172 CUP
Chewy said:
evos and impreza's are sh*te!

*hides*
Would not say there s**t.. but everyone likes different stuff i guess :p.... in the end of the day its up to the owner... I mean i dont really like Evo's but i would not say no to a FQ 400 atm :p my view of a sexy car that i want next (dreams)

http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD_web/servlet/media?id=378964936 :>

and one more thing.. i really do think clio's rattle far to much, and you cant tune them hardly atall.... ££

and then the performance from the V6 aint that much from a Clio 172/182 etc... well the clio wins 0 - 60 right.. ..

130i, 306 hdi, vrs
200sx mmmmmmmmmmm When i was last at the ring some guy from my work turned up in one of these, thinking he was some kind of drift king! , we all advised he this is not the type of track you want to be drifting round . 5 laps later this red 200sx was stuffed in the armco , down the foxholes part of the track , i had just overtook him in my cup, track was damp i look in my rear view mirror and this clown was sideways into the armco .

so be careful in tricky conditions .

nice car by the way just go careful .

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
ahmet said:
look thats his choice ok.but he tells us clio v6's week points.when i compare two car clio v6 is much better.chris show your cars interior mate.that sh*t model 200 sx doesnt have any luxury.only quicker in straight with mods.if you drive 3 hours hard with that car engine or turbo will blow.i am only correcting something on this thread;clio v6 is much better car and he will accept this after.my grammer is not good but this doesnt mean that i cant write anything.everyone understand what i try to say here.your car is not a sti,skyline gtr or a mitsubishi evo.i cant f**kin believe that you swap that car over a v6

ok what we are forgetting here is oz didnt get the sr20det engine they got the same as the yanks a 2.4 na engine...

i guarantee you i could drive my 200 for 3 hours giving it hell and it still be fine! the interior in the 200 is MUCH better than a clio v6 LOL the v6 has pretty much the same interior as a 172 or any other clio lol!!!

doesnt have any luxury?? the b6 has a half leather interior same as a 172 or 182... the 200 has a FULL leather interior...

the clio v6 isnt a much better car a 200 out performs it in every way! a clio v6 standard isnt really any quicker except top end than a 172, a 200 will prob sit side by side with a v6 and then pull off as it has a higher top speed...

there are a fair few 500bhp 200's in the uk there is 1 v6 that is close to that...

anyway now i have deal with the misquided 4 yr old...

chris, i would look at the rps max clutches, either the organic or the 6 puk paddle... i had the 6 puk in my old s14 and it was hard to get used to... but god it worked well!!

i have an exedy organic in my current s14...

where you based m8 will have to organise a cs 200sx meet lol!!!

my spec atm:
front mount
walbro
sard uprated fuel press reg
3" straight through exhaust
k&n
solid rear subframe mounts
coilovers
noris designs actuator (running 15psi)
carbon bonnet
r33gtr skirts

I know this is a clio forum and I admit I did like the drive in my old 172 and I did like the v6 to start with but some people act like they are going to own a clio for the rest of their lives.

Renault's are not everything.

Recently i've owned a 172 with individual throttle bodies (spent thousands tuning this), a clio v6 and the 200sx wins hands down in EVERY department. The steering feels so much better - more responsive, it's by far the quickest car i've owned. Really does suprise me with power although i'm still getting used to it. Granted it may not be glued to the corners like a 172 but that's half the fun getting the backend out and controlling it. Most of the time it will be stuck to the road unless you really push it or get the backend out on purpose so it's not like it's going to surrender at a corner.

The v6 I thought was a bit boring. Tonight I got the car drifting for the first time and what an experience it is.

Malice, i'm from the Midlands. Bridgnorth, about 11 miles or so from Wolverhampton. I'd definately be up for a meet in the near future.

Malice - rps max clutches? where are they sold?

I've been looking at the ACT heavy duty paddle clutch and the organic clutch. Which would you have out of paddle and organic and what are going to be the main differences?

The car is 90% used for road but I will be tracking it in the near future and 1/4 miling it as well when I uprate the clutch and turn up the boost.

This is where I have been looking...

http://www.apexperformance.co.uk/catalog/default.php?cPath=120_121_182_129&PHPSESSID=265e0d9bb73442ab815309838a3264ea

Also after a brake upgrade. What do you recommend? I'm thinking of brembo discs, ds2500 pads and goodridge lines. They are std discs and pads at the moment I beleive and are warped. I get a massive vibration through the steering wheel when braking so they need replacing soon.

They do not brake sharp enough for the power the car has. I really want a positive feel and good stopping power. What size discs do you suggest? Again is apex the best place to be buying these?

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Chris K said:
I know this is a clio forum and I admit I did like the drive in my old 172 and I did like the v6 to start with but some people act like they are going to own a clio for the rest of their lives.

Renault's are not everything.

Recently i've owned a 172 with individual throttle bodies (spent thousands tuning this), a clio v6 and the 200sx wins hands down in EVERY department. The steering feels so much better - more responsive, it's by far the quickest car i've owned. Really does suprise me with power although i'm still getting used to it. Granted it may not be glued to the corners like a 172 but that's half the fun getting the backend out and controlling it. Most of the time it will be stuck to the road unless you really push it or get the backend out on purpose so it's not like it's going to surrender at a corner.

The v6 I thought was a bit boring. Tonight I got the car drifting for the first time and what an experience it is.

Malice, i'm from the Midlands. Bridgnorth, about 11 miles or so from Wolverhampton. I'd definately be up for a meet in the near future.

wait untill u start learning to get it to slide when you really want it lol, go to halfords and buy a dvd they sell called "the drift bible" however get someone to take your keys off of you lol!

im not a huggggge distance from you, near gloucester about 40 mins from coventry...

first time i ever drifted was in a carpark that was covered in about a inch layer thick of leafs lol, was sooooo easy to drift the entire carpark and link drifts... learn how to clutch kick, also try down shifting from say 5k rpm in third down to second and tap the breaks, lsd will lock the back wheels up... do this while steering right and flick left and back on the gas straight away and you will hold a beefy drift lol!

also once going sideways let go of the wheel, let it spin and try to correct then more gas and op lock....

i highly recomend getting some rear subframe locking collars they are only 40 - 60 quid, but they make a hell of a difference... then get coilovers and if u like drifting everything will become much easier!!!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Chris K said:
Malice - rps max clutches? where are they sold?

I've been looking at the ACT heavy duty paddle clutch and the organic clutch. Which would you have out of paddle and organic and what are going to be the main differences?

The car is 90% used for road but I will be tracking it in the near future and 1/4 miling it as well when I uprate the clutch and turn up the boost.

This is where I have been looking...

http://www.apexperformance.co.uk/catalog/default.php?cPath=120_121_182_129&PHPSESSID=265e0d9bb73442ab815309838a3264ea

Also after a brake upgrade. What do you recommend? I'm thinking of brembo discs, ds2500 pads and goodridge lines. They are std discs and pads at the moment I beleive and are warped. I get a massive vibration through the steering wheel when braking so they need replacing soon.

They do not brake sharp enough for the power the car has. I really want a positive feel and good stopping power. What size discs do you suggest? Again is apex the best place to be buying these?

apex sell the rps clutches as do SRB, i would get your fly skimmed too its worth it for the few quid it costs, or look at the fidanza lightened one!

personally if u use it mainly for road with some fun like drifting and dragging the organic will be fine, the rps max organic i would go for, make sure u get the max as thats the strongest! however the rps max 6 puk was a wicked clutch, but f**k ME they are HEAVY! trying to pull off with anyone in the car and doing it softly was hard lol, u either kangarroo'd a bit or it just bit and went lol, however the 6puk is the kiddy to go for if you wanna do loads of drag launches and go drifting, that thing will handle 7k launches without slipping... however your box and engine might not lol!!!

the rps ones are guaranteed to take a certain amount of power and torque... if it fails they replace it free!

however 350bhp is getting close on the limits of the standard box!! u may wanna look as os ginken internals or sticking the z32 gearbox on... or r33 gts etc....

brakes i have standard discs on the front with ds2500's does the job for me, there is a road on my way home nat speed limit with a red block on the floor as u go over it, it goes to a 30 ithere is a 30 SLOW DOWN electronic sign... i can hit the block at 90 and break and slow to 30 before the 30 signs comes on lol...

rears i need new disks i also want some project mu d1 pads... they lock the rears up perfect off the handbrake...

also caliper wise u can go for the z32 (300zx) conversion the z32 rears are a nice upgrade as they have a drum brake on them too that controlls the handbrake... and the disc is used just for the peddal...

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
Places like Driftworks or SRB Power sell RPS clutches, but Bren at Apex rates the ACT ones, and I'm going to go with one of them myself, they also come with everything you'd need like a new release bearing, these are not included with the RPS ones.

Don't get an paddled clutch for day to day use on a road car, they are very harsh.

The ACT "Heavy Duty" organic clutch is rated at 362lb/ft which is even ok for Stage 3 and is apparently not really any harsher than a standard clutch, but handles loads more torque. Then the ACT "Extreme" organic is rated to a whopping 449lb/ft, a bit more grabby and harder to use than the heavy duty one, but still better than a paddled clutch.

Brakes wise, I run Brembo discs & DS2500 pads up front (standard on the rear), they're pretty good, not had them fade yet, doing a trackday at Oulton Park in 5 weeks so I'll see how the stand up on the track.

Last edited:

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Rich-D said:
Places like Driftworks or SRB Power sell RPS clutches, but Bren at Apex rates the ACT ones, and I'm going to go with one of them myself, they also come with everything you'd need like a new release bearing, these are not included with the RPS ones.

Don't get an organic clutch for day to day use on a road car, they are very harsh.

The ACT "Heavy Duty" organic clutch is rated at 362lb/ft which is even ok for Stage 3 and is apparently not really any harsher than a standard clutch, but handles loads more torque. Then the ACT "Extreme" organic is rated to a whopping 449lb/ft, a bit more grabby and harder to use than the heavy duty one, but still better than a paddled clutch.

Brakes wise, I run Brembo discs & DS2500 pads up front (standard on the rear), they're pretty good, not had them fade yet, doing a trackday at Oulton Park in 5 weeks so I'll see how the stand up on the track.

rps comes as a kit, i got my 6puk from apex... came with everything...

and i think u mean dont get a paddle for everyday use... i had the 6 puk which is supposed to the be harshest to use, and i used it daily... was a pain to get used to but nothing bad...

So it's best to go with an organic clutch, not a paddle one if using the car for everyday use?

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Chris K said:
So it's best to go with an organic clutch, not a paddle one if using the car for everyday use?

i would try both... i have my organic exedy and its like driving a standard clutch...

the 6 puk i had is supposedly the harshest to use, however alot of people use them, though they dont seem to last a long time ne where between 10k and 40k miles... plus have downsides like they can start to eat your fly...

however... u cant abuse a organic anywhere near as much as a paddle...

but what you loose in abuse, u gain in ease of use... im not saying u cant drift or drag launch a organic as u can... i do! but if u slip it to much to often it will cry and die lol! a paddle u can sit and slip as long as u want drop the clutch it will bite and go lol

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
MaLicE said:
rps comes as a kit, i got my 6puk from apex... came with everything...

Ah right, Apex must sell them complete, but Driftworks sell the release bearing separately

MaLicE said:
and i think u mean dont get a paddle for everyday use...

That's what I said... read again... ;) :clown:

Last edited:
MaLicE said:
i would try both... i have my organic exedy and its like driving a standard clutch...

the 6 puk i had is supposedly the harshest to use, however alot of people use them, though they dont seem to last a long time ne where between 10k and 40k miles... plus have downsides like they can start to eat your fly...

however... u cant abuse a organic anywhere near as much as a paddle...

but what you loose in abuse, u gain in ease of use... im not saying u cant drift or drag launch a organic as u can... i do! but if u slip it to much to often it will cry and die lol! a paddle u can sit and slip as long as u want drop the clutch it will bite and go lol

omfg now i'm wondering about a paddle clutch. Yesterday i've asked 2 of my friends to get prices on uprated paddle clutches as that was what I was originally going to go for as they can get discounts on them.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
Chris K said:

Yes

Paddled ones are harsher and also if you use them on the road, you need to slip them when setting off "normally" and this wears them quicker.

Not a chance you'll exceed the 449lb/ft of the ACT Extreme organic one either, it's basically as good as a paddled one but better for road use.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
fly i would get the cyn r g one just cos it looks sexual!!! plus u can rebuild it!! as u can the fidanza lol but the cyn r g looks soooooooo nice lol, speak to APT or SRB, APT will supply and fit, they are prob the best people to speak to... i know they quoted me £115 i think it was that was to fit a clutch and it takes them like 40 mins lol, fastest clutch changers around lol!!! tell them what u want and they will recomend it!!

i would go for the RPS range whatever u go for tbh... what all the drifters use....

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
MaLicE said:
i would go for the RPS range whatever u go for tbh... what all the drifters use....

So why does Bren rate ACT over RPS then?

I think either would be more than good enough personally, my mate drifts with a standard clutch and that's fine! :eek:

I'm swaying more towards the ACT Extreme organic clutch. I should be able to abuse that a bit more than the heavy duty one and it will have a nice drive for everyday use? Am I right in saying?

How much to get the std flywheel lightened?

I know of a guy that refurbs gearboxes so he could probably fit it for me and possibly lighten the flywheel.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
bren recomends act, but when i called and ordered mine he sid either act or RPS were equally good, i had 2 garages known for jap stuff say either RPS or exedy, that was APT and Norris designs... both knowing their stuff and as bren didnt seem to say go for this over this, i went for rps, SRB recomended RPS but didnt have any instock... as did driftworks... plus there is a which clutch is best poll on sxoc and the rps came out top... so i went with all of them lol

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
Chris K said:
I'm swaying more towards the ACT Extreme organic clutch. I should be able to abuse that a bit more than the heavy duty one and it will have a nice drive for everyday use? Am I right in saying?

How much to get the std flywheel lightened?

I know of a guy that refurbs gearboxes so he could probably fit it for me and possibly lighten the flywheel.

That's the one I think I'm going for as well, got a really good torque rating (180lb/ft more than I currently have) and not to harsh for daily use, so will be able to take everything we throw at it.

Standard flywheel won't be a lot to get done, certainly nowhere near the £300 of an aftermarket one! :S

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
MaLicE said:
bren recomends act, but when i called and ordered mine he sid either act or RPS were equally good, i had 2 garages known for jap stuff say either RPS or exedy, that was APT and Norris designs... both knowing their stuff and as bren didnt seem to say go for this over this, i went for rps, SRB recomended RPS but didnt have any instock... as did driftworks... plus there is a which clutch is best poll on sxoc and the rps came out top... so i went with all of them lol

As I said, either of them are a good choice...

These fancy flywheels are all very nice to look at when you buy them but thats the last time you see it. I wouldn't by a flywheel because of its looks because it's hidden. I think I would rather get the std one lightened. Will it improve how the engine revs a lot?

Do you have a lightened flywheel malice?

MaLicE said:

i love it when you go into one talking :D:D gives me the horn lol

Status
Not open for further replies.