ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Solid Top Mounts + Coilovers at the same time?

Myself and two friends are going to be putting some GAZ GHA coilovers on my car in a few weeks, along with some Pure Motorsport solid top mounts & front strut brace.

What is the best way to attack this?

I thought get all 4 wheels off the floor, do the coilovers first, then drop it back down to do the top mounts. But my friend (whos a mechanic so probably knows better) suggests we remove the shocks and springs and do the top mounts and strut first..... He says due to the drilling and fitting of the mounts being easier with no shocks/springs in the way... then fit the coilovers afterwards. I can see where he is coming from with this.

Any advice/tips on this?

Thanks.

^^ What he said lol

Jack the whole car up - all 4 wheels off the ground
Put a trolley jack under the rear beam to support it - undo the top nuts on the rear shocks - then lower the rear beam with the trolley jack until the springs fall out
Unbolt the bottom of the rear shocks from the beam, fit new shocks, put the new springs in place, jack beam up while guiding the rear shocks into the top mount holes.
Fit nuts to top of shocks and tighten - remove trolley jack.

That's the rear done

With the front - loosen the top nut on the shocks (23mm spanner I think) a rattle gun is handy for this, then remove the 2 big bolts holding the shock to the hub
Hold the shock while completely removing the top nut and the strut will come out the side of the car

Throw old stuff in bin

Put the Pure motorsport strut brace on and in place lined up with BOTH top mount holes, clamp it in place with some g clamps
Then either drill through the holes if you've got a steady hand or draw marks to show where to drill, remove the brace and drill holes

Then put the new front shocks/struts up into the arches, through the strut brace with the 3 holes lined up properly, loosely fit the 3 bolts so the shock is hanging from the top mount.
Fit the 2 big bolts to the hub (set camber if required), then tighten up the 3 top bolts (not too tight they don't need a big bar on them)

Same the other side - job done

When I fitted my KW V2's it took me 45minutes including jacking the car up and removing the wheels ;)