ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Some from Hong Kong

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
So i went to Hong Kong for a couple of weeks in Feb. This gave me the chance to give my camera a bit of a work out as i'd not really taken any photos since FCS!

It's taken me till today to process, upload, tag, comment on them. I've worked out my strike rate as about 30% if i'm being very generous. 70% weren't worth uploading :(

The full set is on flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/81778897@N00/

Here are the pick of them:

Abandoned houses in a small village. Skylight was visible through some of them.
4421142844_3c1d4fe59b_o.png

Lanterns in Macau
4420380135_98462cbb6e_o.png

I went to try taking a shot of a HK taxi in a motorsport style. Try as i did to recall the tips i'd read (a couple of years ago) in Chris' thread, it didn't go well. So it ended up as "take pics of nice cars", as any of us would have done :D
4421144578_b09cb4c6ee_o.png

Worried about my set being dull, I tried something different and went for the artificially aged look in this one.
4421145346_4abf530edf_o.png

The classic shot from the peak. Near impossible without a tripod. I tried my best.
4420381325_8f0042a624_o.png

Next was Ocean Park to see some animals. We were sat quite far back and i only had my 17-85mm so some of these dolphin shots came out quite well IMO
4420386631_6dc68a8c73_b.jpg

Do we need 'em?
Probably the toughest one i took. Handheld for 1/5. I have shaky hands.
4421154372_c87340446d_b.jpg

4421155398_822aafaa14_o.jpg

Panda chowing down. My 50mm would have gone well here, but i didn't know i'd be 3 meters away from a panda taking portraits of it at the beginning of the day!
4421159940_efe9a43f87_b.jpg

Meat market
4420398999_9a21350920_b.jpg

Ladies market. They didn't sell ladies though.
4421168662_d8300376a7_b.jpg

I even managed a spotted whilst there!
4421171474_6294b20707_b.jpg

Tips, comments and criticisms welcome!

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Awesome shots there Marky.

Would love to visit HK at some point in my life, it looks absolutely awesome!

Golf GTi MkV
Wicked pics. I there last 2 weeks of feb also. I took the exact same pic on the peak!

I got some pics in Sha Ta Kok aswell. That indoor market one looks like Tai Po?

Awesome shots, and great timing. I'm off there on Saturday for a few days.

Recommend going anywhere? Might not have time as Im working but you never know. I definitely want to get the typical shot from the peak though ;)

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome shots there Marky.

Would love to visit HK at some point in my life, it looks absolutely awesome!
Cheers Luke! Yeah it's a great place to visit if you've been before.

Wicked pics. I there last 2 weeks of feb also. I took the exact same pic on the peak!

I got some pics in Sha Ta Kok aswell. That indoor market one looks like Tai Po?
Did you make it back for the NY? I just missed it.
Everyone takes that pic ;). Add your pics here if you like. i don't mind.

The market was actually on HK island somewhere (i forget exactly where :eek: Probably Wan Chai). Although i did go to the market in Tai Po as well.

Nice shots fella.
Ta mate.

Awesome shots, and great timing. I'm off there on Saturday for a few days.

Recommend going anywhere? Might not have time as Im working but you never know. I definitely want to get the typical shot from the peak though ;)
Make sure you take a tripod!
If you're there for business, i'm sure you'll spend a night out in Lang Kwai Fong. Careful it can get very expensive!

Nimbus 197
nice! I miss HK! where did you stay?

did that clio have a Bride bucket seat installed? I've seen it quite a few times in Mongkok :rasp:

Fiesta ST-3
Great pictures man. What shutter speed did you use to get such illumination of the high risers with little to no blur?

1.2 Dynamique billabong
great stuff buddy, you cant beat HK its an awesome place. i like the fact they have all the same types of shops on the same road so a road of camera shops, a road of shoe shops etc. It makes camera shopping for a bargain much easier lol

the bronze budda on lantau island is quite cool, but if you do decide to go then take the taxi not the bus and it took ages pootling up the mountain roads. my taxi driver on the way back on the other hand had obviously been watching intial D, was a right mentalist haha.

i did spot this place on the map whilst i was out there haha

mapjy.jpg

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the comments everyone!

nice! I miss HK! where did you stay?

did that clio have a Bride bucket seat installed? I've seen it quite a few times in Mongkok :rasp:
Stayed at my Grandad's place out in the sticks (Hok Tau). Nightmare to get back to after a night out!

The PH1 was all standard as far as i could see. That was taken in Luen Wo Hui.

Great pictures man. What shutter speed did you use to get such illumination of the high risers with little to no blur?
This one was 2.5 seconds at f4.0
The other one in my set was 5 seconds at f4.0
I had to hold it at an slight angle whilst it was resting on a ledge.
Shot in RAW so i could alter the exposure slightly in PS

Should i have bumped the ISO up for really dark shots or does it go too grainy? Never really sure.

Your pics certainly were an inspiration! Im sitting in the lounge of my hotel looking out at the Harbour, stunning views!

Oh....and I couldnt come back empty handed, so I bought a new lens too :) Woohoo!

Shame I leave tomorrow, very short trip! :(

Oh well....pics when I get back :)

16-35mm f/4 VR

Its the lens I was waiting for! A pro grade wide angle lens for FX cameras, apart from the amazing but ridiculous 14-24mm (I need a lens that can accept filters for auto work)

I was almost on the brink of buying the old school 17-35mm.

So far, VERY impressed! Walking around HK at night with VR is a must! And it seems very sharp too. Very pleased so far, lets hope I get through customs ok! ;)

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
^Be reet! I actually regret not looking for more equipment whilst i was there now, despite how little i use mine :eek:

Look forward to seeing your results!

DB.

BMW 440i
Just seen this, ruins the photo's my mate is taking out there at the moment, these are awesome and on another level to his!

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Holy bump!

Cheers Dave :)

You should check out Dan's thread (Shadowness').
They are epic and piss all over these!

DB.

BMW 440i
Haha, it happened as i wanted to see your RB with the silver turini's, so dug out my spotted thread from yonks ago!

Then noticed the photo's!

His picture from the top of the mountain is my background on my iPhone! It works awesome as the sky is black, but the background on the iPhones leave a gap at top and botom!

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
You won't find too many pics of mine on here. Drop me a PM if you wanted to see something specific
thumbs.gif

Octy vRS & Ninja 650
Really liking the one with the lanterns and well done for keeping your hands still for long exposures, tough doing that!

FTO GPX 2.0 V6
Wow stunning pictures and I have to say I am so ultra jealous that you got that close to a panda. I really wish we still had them in London Zoo. I think the closest one to us is China these days.