ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Some suggestions for subtle Clio 172 mods

172 Flamer
Hi all,

Been having a good read of the forum and gathering lots of usefull advice on what mods to do to my Ph2 Clio 172. So far, the general feeling is that brakes, tyres and suspension is the best way forward. I'm not after performance gains, just an improvement over the standard Renault parts which I am sure these items are and to make the car a bit more involving to drive. So my list at the moment is this,

1. Brembo HC Front Brake Discs
2. Ferodo DS2500 Front Brake Pads
3. Eibach Sportline Spring Kit (30mm) or Eibach Pro Lowering Springs (20mm front - 15mm rear)

Are these items the best way forward or would there be better alternatives to choose?

The other item is KTR Braided Brake Lines With Stainless Fixings. Are these worth getting also or a waste of money?

The other item I was going to get was the KTR Panel Filter. Is this worth it or just a waste of money?

One last item, is it worth getting some kind of induction kit like the KTR Pipercross or again, is this just a waste of money?

For the record, the car already has fitted the KTR Stealth exhaust which sounds nice yet very subtle.

Thanks for any advice and feedback.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
dont bother with an induction kit mate, the standard airbox is the best you'll get really, just put in a upgraded panel filter. your other alternative is to put on a ph1 172 airbox or espace v6 box

Listerine & Poledo
Sod the ferodo pads
get the kwik-fit pads that they give a "lifetime warranty" on.
hell, even if you melt them in a week, they'll throw a new set on, and continue to do so until you sell the car!
89 quid for the fronts
79 for the rears
or something like that anyway, they're Bosch items so they're probably as good as OEM if not a little better

With regards to the KTR panel filter, I think it's great!

I swapped my standard filter for it and I actually get slightly better mpg and, I don't know how to explain but, it just feels betteerwith it fitted lol.

Sod the ferodo pads
get the kwik-fit pads that they give a "lifetime warranty" on.
hell, even if you melt them in a week, they'll throw a new set on, and continue to do so until you sell the car!
89 quid for the fronts
79 for the rears
or something like that anyway, they're Bosch items so they're probably as good as OEM if not a little better

hmm, a quick check on a motor factors website shows me that fronts are available for £18 and rears for £30 (wtf?!) so thats not too much of a great deal, cos even with fast road driving i'd expect ~20k from a set of fronts and at least double from the rears... I think it'd be hard to get it to pay. Unless of course you cant change them yourself and would be paying someone to change them anyway.

Stagecoach Ticket
HC front discs are good discs
Them Pads are a good buy stay away from EBC greenstuffs there shocking
Get the eibach sportline kit if its going to be a fast road car as they look alot better than the prolines and are that far off them in handling and far better than the standard spring.

If your going to touch the standard induction set up dnt bother with a pipercross viper very restrictive compared to the oem box. as above if i were you i would use the following;

PH1 172 Airbox - around £40 second hand
Pipercross/ITG/Ktec - filter for it
Samco Induction bend for the 172 - smooths out the line and gives better flow about £60 (ebay ktec samco forgemotorsport demon tweeks etc)
use the standard cafs at the bottom and no caf on the top

Braided lines and decent fluid will make a big improvement and with the above brake mods will be one of the best setups you can run without spending out on 4pots imo.

Other mods to consider;

Spilter for the front end do a seach loads different ones out there
Silvervision bulbs tidy the front end up loads
Clear side repeaters if you have orange ones
aero flat wipers

all cheap upgrades

J

172 Flamer
Just want to say thanks for everyones input. Appreciate the advice.

Anyone know where I can get a ph1 airbox? Are they expensive new?