ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Something very scary just happened to the gf in the car

Octavia VRS
My girlfriend has just phoned to say she was going around a roundabout when the car started making strange noises and she said it was like she was going over speed bumps even tho there were none on the road.
She also said that the steering wheel seemed 'loose' but when she tried turning it, the car wasn't changing direction. She had to keep going round the roundabout and after a minute or two the car went back to normal.

She is ok thankfully just a bit shaken up.

Does anyone know what could be the problem? I just spent £250 on a service and MOT and have had the wheels all balanced as well. I've told her to take the car back to the garage who carried out the work as I am at work.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

182 + Cup
Could be something as simple as loose wheelnuts? Ball joint maybe? Hope it's nothing expensive mate!

And if it doesn't change direction when she turns the wheel then get her to stop!!!

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
ball joint wouldn't do that, would make the steering feel loose or wobbly but not shake that car like speed bumps. Would say wheels bolts most likely.

as above, wheel nuts! Jack it up and do them as you can't do them properly on the ground.

If they are loose, be aware that the garage will just quote the "All wheelnuts must be checked after 50 miles" blurb that all the garages say!

Octavia VRS
cheers guys, car is at garage now and they are checking it out. They are gonna phone me to give me an update so I will make sure they have checked all wheel nuts.

Thanks again

The Beast MK4
My steering is pretty loose just now, thats because the steering rack is fecked. :(

My buckled wheels were the cause of that though. Hope it is something simple mate.

Octavia VRS
Yeh mate main thing is she is alright. I was driving the car last night and it was driving really well. Very strange.

cock mobile.
I wouldn't imagine it being wheelnuts, most garages usually gun them on!

I guess it's possible they didn't do a good job :S

Octavia VRS
lol @ weeman

Cheers Timmay

Garage phoned my girlfriend instead of me and said they have checked everything and driven the car and all seems fine. Have told her to get them to confirm that all wheel nuts have been checked when she picks it up. Going to check the wheels and go a drive tonight to see if anything feels wrong.

Octavia VRS
Thought something similar but the CV joints were replaced only 6-8 months ago. Still could be I suppose, just hope the garage have carried out a thorough check

Octavia VRS
Girlfriend has just been on phone again and she's not happy! The guy at the garage says an explanation could be that she entered the roundabout in 5th gear instead of 3rd which she thought she was in and the car temporarily stalled, losing the power steering in the process. She says this definitely wasn't the case and that the engine never cut out once. :S

a burnt one
White16valver said:
as above, wheel nuts! Jack it up and do them as you can't do them properly on the ground.

If they are loose, be aware that the garage will just quote the "All wheelnuts must be checked after 50 miles" blurb that all the garages say!

hmmm, never seen anyone tighten a wheelnut to the proper torque while the wheel is off the ground

oh, you know what I meant! :rasp:

I was meaning that if they are loose, you won't be able to pull the wheel flat to the surface while it is on the ground so you'll have to jack it up to get the wheel flat to the mounting surface, then bolt them in fully. Torque wrench them when it is back on the ground again! :p

Octavia VRS
well tested the car last night, went around corners and roundabouts slow and then pretty quickly and also went to a deserted car park where I went round in circles lol. No sounds I could hear and the car seemed to drive fine.

Wheel bolts all seem fine too. Girlfriend is adament it was nothing she did. Very very puzzling. Going to have a good look over it at the weekend