ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sony V or W Series Bravia?

Mito Sportiva 135
Been looking into buying another Bravia again. Currently got a V series 32 and 40" sets, and want a 32" set for my room. Was about to buy a V series when the guy in the Sony store made me look at a W series...which has a handfull of new technologies and "full" HD. Only problem is that for the same size set it's about £200 more.

Do people in the know think it's worth the extra cost? I will be using it for films and maybe games, which apparently it's good at due to having 200hz update and a wider colour palette as well as 1080p rather than 1080i.

Mito Sportiva 135
That is a good price actually, have been very impressed with the Sharps I have seen in the shops actually. Worth considering, although I am just a Sony ho' when it comes to TVs though unfortunately :(

dk

911 GTS Cab
i was looking at a W4500, better all round compared to the V, although this was 40", not sure 32" needs 1080p

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Been looking into buying another Bravia again. Currently got a V series 32 and 40" sets, and want a 32" set for my room. Was about to buy a V series when the guy in the Sony store made me look at a W series...which has a handfull of new technologies and "full" HD. Only problem is that for the same size set it's about £200 more.

Do people in the know think it's worth the extra cost? I will be using it for films and maybe games, which apparently it's good at due to having 200hz update and a wider colour palette as well as 1080p rather than 1080i.

Yes mate its well worth the extra cost!

My mums got the 32V and its a really good TV for £370 but my older 32D3000 wipes the floor with it. I'd say the 32W is slightly better than mine.

If It was me I'd 100% spend the extra and get the W (best 32" on the market IMO).

dk

911 GTS Cab
Yes mate its well worth the extra cost!

My mums got the 32V and its a really good TV for £370 but my older 32D3000 wipes the floor with it. I'd say the 32W is slightly better than mine.

If It was me I'd 100% spend the extra and get the W (best 32" on the market IMO).
the V sits just below the W though and is better than the D?

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
the V sits just below the W though and is better than the D?

The 32D3000 was the top model of the previous range. It was replaced by the 32W4000

The old 32S3000 (mid range model of the previous range) was replaced by the 32V4000

dk

911 GTS Cab
but the D and S are still available, and the V and W have been available for years, I think they are all in the range together, I thought it was the D and S that sainsbury's sold, i.e. the cheap ones.

Looking at their current range they have so many different model letters its ridiculous, P, L, S, D, V, W, Z etc etc...

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
but the D and S are still available, and the V and W have been available for years, I think they are all in the range together, I thought it was the D and S that sainsbury's sold, i.e. the cheap ones.

Looking at their current range they have so many different model letters its ridiculous, P, L, S, D, V, W, Z etc etc...

No the P, S and D are the old range. They might be available in limited numbers but certainly not widely available.

The L, V and W are the new range that was released about 4 - 6 months ago.

The old 32D3000 was actually a technological experiment as it had Motion Flow Plus 100Hz technology. It was soon realised that it wasn’t need on a 32" TV so it was scrapped on the 32W4000 (which is full HD, can display many more colours and has a better contrast ratio)

There is currently no 32" Z version

I bought my 32D3000 about 10 months ago when stocks were really low (it had already been out for 6-10 months before I bought it).

SLK 350
Personally for a 32" model Id go for the V and spend the £200 on a BD player/streaming box. You're not going to benefit from 1080P on that size screen. Also worth noting SD usually looks worse on 1080P LCD than on 720P models.

Given those reasons Id go for the V.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I'd say go look at both.

AVforums is also a good source of info

I'm familiar with both models and the W wipes the floor with the V :)

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Is that for SD content aswell though?

Yes mate, colour is better defined.

I find my mothers V quite blurry when watching fast moving programmes (sports etc). Saying that though you cant really complain at the price - £370

Mito Sportiva 135
Well the V we have already is great for films and games, and think @ 32" is good enough and can get a larger 40" 1080p TV in a year or so when cheaper and will be living somewhere else probably.

Think the S series is a special edition W or V series.

dk

911 GTS Cab
No the P, S and D are the old range. They might be available in limited numbers but certainly not widely available.

The L, V and W are the new range that was released about 4 - 6 months ago.

The old 32D3000 was actually a technological experiment as it had Motion Flow Plus 100Hz technology. It was soon realised that it wasn’t need on a 32" TV so it was scrapped on the 32W4000 (which is full HD, can display many more colours and has a better contrast ratio)

There is currently no 32" Z version

I bought my 32D3000 about 10 months ago when stocks were really low (it had already been out for 6-10 months before I bought it).
the V and W have been out for over 2 years and go back to the V2000, then v2500, then v3000, v3500, v4000 etc.

I've been looking at them for years.

And the S is still very much in the range, they have only just bought out the S4000, so the range currently sits at the L, S, V, W,X Z EX

It seems the only one they have got rid of is the D whihc you are right did sit inbetween the V and W.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
the V and W have been out for over 2 years and go back to the V2000, then v2500, then v3000, v3500, v4000 etc.

I've been looking at them for years.

And the S is still very much in the range, they have only just bought out the S4000, so the range currently sits at the L, S, V, W,X Z EX

It seems the only one they have got rid of is the D which you are right did sit inbetween the V and W.

You're right in what your saying but not all the above models were/are available in 32" (eg Z or X models). I've only been talking about the Sony 32" LCD TV's

There was also no 32" V or W 3000 (or 3500 as the sony shops know it) series in this country

The 32S4000 has only just been released and as far as im aware isnt on the highstreet yet - I'm unable to comment on how this performs against the V or W models.

The D was the top range 3000 model. Likewise the 32W4000 or 32E4000 (which are identical bar looks) are the top of the range 4000 models

From what I can tell the old 32D3000 model might have been labeled 32W3000 outside of the UK

Last edited:

dk

911 GTS Cab
i'm looking at getting the W4500, seems like a great spec although I can't help but feel that every 3 months something much better seems to get launched so I need to time it right, the prices are excellent at the moment, just not sure whether to miss out 1080p and hold out for OLED.

Mito Sportiva 135
What is OLED DK?

There will always be something better on the horizon, but to me the 32" V series still looks absolutely mint and will invest more heavilly in a "top" set in a year or two.

Will be a LOT better than my current 24" Sanyo set that I currently have anyway in my room! :cool:

dk

911 GTS Cab
Organic LED, the next big thing

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/tvp-oled-tv/xel-1/article/id/1219822167611

Sony have an 11" out already but its £1300 so not cost effective at the moment, give it 2 years and it will be mainstream i reckon.

Amazing contrast and colors, no backlight, extremely thin (3mm) and the best moving picture you have even seen in your life on a screen, it simply has to be seen to be believed how good it is!

nothing for you to worry about for this purchase though!

Mito Sportiva 135
Ah yeah think I saw that on the Gadget Show a while back, think they were talking about incorporating it into phones first?

But yes, based on that, a 32" version would cost as much as a new car! Did you see my post on the thread about BR DK? If so, is it easy to hook my amp up to a BR player you think?

RB 182 FF
If you're thinking of getting a new tv may be better to make a desicion sooner rather than later....

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/055/1050055/tv-prices-to-go-up-after-christmas