ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sorted my knocking under hard acceleration

R27
DSC01057.jpg

DSC01056.jpg

all the rubber was cut and startin to come away. took a couple of hours to change easy really

Last edited by a moderator:
  172 cup
iv got a knocking noise it starts at about 4-5000rpm, some tiems its alot worse than others, its not just a single knock more like a knocking grinding noise, did yours make this kind of noise or do you think iv got a completely differnt problem?

BMW 330d :)
I've got the lower dogbone mount from ktec, taken away most of the knocking but does transmit some vibration into the cabin.

Next ill change the two top mounts and that should sort it!

Renault Clio 172 Sport
I was just going to ask, Where can you purchase Mounts from? Do you have to get em from Renault?
How much are they each?
Are they easy to fit or does the Engine have to come out or be lifted?

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Were can I find those topmounts??

If you mean "where on the car"

The one in the photographs is directly under the battery.

You have to remove the battery and its mounting plate to get to the top bolts.

Don't be surprised when you do, if at least one of the bolts is missing.

Look at the pictures and you will see how the holes have been "ovaled" out of shape, thats as a result of the bolts not being tight.

When I replaced mine, I used "Nylok" nuts and "Locktite"

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
I was just going to ask, Where can you purchase Mounts from? Do you have to get em from Renault?
How much are they each?

Read posts 1 and 3....... £20 and the part number is there too. ;)

Renault Clio 172 Sport
How much are they each?

Read posts 1 and 3....... £20 and the part number is there too. ;)

Sorry Brian (DUURRR), Im having a bad day. I read the post it just didnt register. I need to go home!.
Can anyone give me a ruff guide on how to replace it?
Mine knocks like hell, If i just take my foot off the accelerator and then back on it knocks.. Im hoping this will sort it cause I have a feeling it will be more than just this one thats gone.
Any guideance would be appreciated cause im going to try to fit it at the weekend.

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Ha Ha! go home and fix your car !!

Its really not that difficult, I would advise you to buy the mount and the bolts from your friendly Renault dealer, then find some high tensile nylock nuts at a good engineering hardware store. Locktite you can buy at Halfords.

You need a trolley jack some blocks of wood and some long fingers, The whole job should take about an hour at most.

OH! I should have added.

This mount isn't unique to the RS models, so the Haynes manual covers the work required.

See My Clio? Tell Me
i replaced all my mounts recently top on cast me about 70ish gearbox about 20 and the bottom about 15 amazing the difference it made

took me about an hour to change them

172 A Cupwork Orange™
i have a loud single knock comin (sounds like the rear of the car) when i change gear at between 5-7k of revs took it in the garage they changed the part under the batery and said there u go all done a renault expert has looked over it bla bla, anyway same thing happens any ideas guys so i can go back and say hey u have not cured it (all under warrenty btw)

cheers
vern

172 A Cupwork Orange™
had the car back in, they said the knock was normal , also when i shift into reverse it grinds in,
only if u put it in reverse first, put it in first then select reverse its fine
strange but true,

stealer comments" its normal"
argh...

Clio 182
ive got a valver,the steering doesnt feel responsive,bit of play.any 1 had this problem b4?can any1 help/

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Do a search mate, this thread/sticky has nothing to do with that, i expect it track rod ends/ steering coloum U/J

Mondeo TDCI 130
ive got play in my steering,valver,has any1 heard of this b4

yes, there is a bush at the bottom of the column, if you get in the floorwell there is a rubber cover! pull it back & you will see movement! it needs welding together, it wont move then!;)

i think its pathetic - ive had a few valvers and a willy and ALL of them have had the mounts go - ALL OF THEM. stupid french garlic munching spunkdrenchers.

172 cup
webb - i have a similar problem too, vibration at 4000 rpm ! looking to find a solution so ill let u know...

have u cured it yet ?

80MPG BEEZA
ive just started getting this juddering under hard acceleration after getting my 182 mani fitted, the subframes been on and off so im thinking the engine may have been moved back, gonna look at gbox mount at weekend as i have a brand spanker under my bed

See My Clio? Tell Me
well like i said ive had all 3 of my mounts changed and i still get the noise ive been under the car today and tightened all the bolts up in my sub-frame i looked up the touqe settings and they dint seem much think they were 67 front 105 rear but as i aint got a wench any more i just just did them all "fdt" aint had a drive yet but ill let you know if it cures my knocking will also be replacing a o/s track rod end finally its been in a few garages and even the mot tester have all told my the rack was on its way out not the track rod and there all mupets trying to rob me coz i ve been under andf pulled the boot back whilst getting some to rock the wheel side to side and theres no play in the rack at all just the track rod end is worn which is costing me £20 and the garage wanted £300 wtf where do these people get off! lol

you know what, I have also just ordered a full set of mounts as i can feel the engine rock back and forth via the gearstick. Everytime i plant it this happens now. Must be a very common fault on these French bread vans, piss poor really, ive done 67k now which is not too bad a mileage and you'd think they would last longer.

think they were to us £70 ish for all three.

Clio Sport xxx
Not had my 172 for that long, and have noticed a similar problem, but it doesn't sound quite the same... I also get the same sort of repetative loud knocking under hard acceleration, however the difference is, it only occurs when the front wheels spin (easilly done in the wet in 1st gear!).

I can accelerate as hard as i like in 1st and its fine, so long as the front wheel have traction. Could this be caused by the same engine mount problem discussed earlier? Is it more likely to be something else? Suspension? Subframe?

Cheers

Not had my 172 for that long, and have noticed a similar problem, but it doesn't sound quite the same... I also get the same sort of repetative loud knocking under hard acceleration, however the difference is, it only occurs when the front wheels spin (easilly done in the wet in 1st gear!).

I can accelerate as hard as i like in 1st and its fine, so long as the front wheel have traction. Could this be caused by the same engine mount problem discussed earlier? Is it more likely to be something else? Suspension? Subframe?

Cheers

Most likly your dogbone mount is worn its a common issue new ones are only £20 or so and easy to fit.

Clio Sport xxx
Most likly your dogbone mount is worn its a common issue new ones are only £20 or so and easy to fit.

ha haaa!! it was an even easier fix!! :D

Fitted the infamous 'strut top knocking washers' last night... turns out the strut tops were also knocking when you floored it in 1st gear!!

Note to all those with knocking issues without the strut top washers... fit the washers before looking at more expensive fixes!!;)

Clio MkII 172 K reg
Does somebody has a guide with pictures to how to replace this mount (under the battery) ?
Lior

172, Westfield
Did mine last weekend - gotta agree the best 25 quid sent in a long time! Can enjoy driving the car again!!

clio 172 mk2
I also have the famous 'knocking'. Removed the battery today and...

the mount seems to be ok.. or no?

Attachments

• mount 002.jpg
    mount 002.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 637