ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sorting out leaking exhaust

mx5
Hi guys

So i have 2 exhaust leaks on my car. The first is the rear of the cat to the mid pipe then the second is the mid pipe to the rear section.

The cat to mid pipe section should fit together, it was pretty dirty, I cleaned it all up with a wire brush and sandpaper so it would fit together nicely, also cleaned up the metal gasket. When doing it back up it seems to not seal properly. Where the two bolts clamp it secures well, however the centre does not seem to clamp together and this is where it is leaking, any ideas, am I being a bit retarded?

The rear section where the two parts go inside each other, i cleaned them but it still does not want to seal, it does look a little old and bent, obviouly been on and off a few times before.

Can anyone suggest any ideas other than using some exhaust gasket sealent, or reccomend some good stuff, tried holts gum gum and its s**t!

Thanks

Rich

Clio 197
Yep high temp silicone. Is it the olive joint you are talking about on the cat - centre section you are talking about ? I am planning on resealing mine today , slap some high temp silicone on this joint too and it should sort it (you said you already cleaned the areas up with a wire brush so that's good)

What exhaust is it ?

edit - sorry just re- read and I think you are talking about the cat-downpipe as you mention metal gasket - dont use any type of sealant on this join as it will wreck your cat. Your talking about the join with the springs and gasket?