ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spacer for solid topmount - yay or nay?

02 Iceberg 172
Right - a bit of background. Currently running Sportlines/Konis/Compbrake topmounts with Turinis/205/45/16's and am keen to raise the front of the car up a bit - say 10mm or so.

The reasons I am keen to do this are:
  • I currently get a little bit of rubbing on the liner near the front bumper bracket which is annoying
  • Running the setup I have I realise that my rollcentres aren't the best so keen to correct that a little - obviously wouldn't be perfect but better than what they would be currently.
  • Would like to run spacers to widen the track a bit - even if I only run 5mm spacers this will see have increased issues with rubbing on the front bumper bracket. Increasing the ride height would allow me to run spacers and clear the bumper bracket.

Now I had thought about increasing the size of the sleeve spacer below the topmount/above the shock but I don't think I can do that because the top of the shock rod with the adjuster is already *just* sitting clear above the topmount nut. Although not running Konis the below pic is similar to what mine currently looks like:

003-5.jpg

Now you can see that there is a lot of excess thread above the locking ring of the topmount. This made me think that it might be possible to actually space the topmount down by placing a spacer ring that sits on the lower half of the top mount below the strut tower - with the locking ring still providing the clamping force on top. By spacing the topmount down say 10mm I should increase the ride height by 10mm.

I know these compbrake topmounts aren't popular on here but I haven't had a issue with them at all :) If this would be feasible it would save me having to go to a new set of springs etc but not sure if I am missing something? Am I right in thinking the spacer could be alloy or would it need to be steel? What do people think?