ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spacer literally "welded" onto front hub/disc

Trying to take a FK stainless steel spacer off the front of a non sport.
The driver side one I literally cannot get off. Its one of the bolt to hub types, undone all the bolts, but its stuck solid.
Tried a hammer, lever bar, chisel, screwdriver, grinder, but still literally cannot get it off.
Its f**ked now, so just want to get it off, don't care about it being in one piece!?

And yes I know I should've copper greased it originally.

Any Ideas?

Pic of said now f**ked spacer:

DSC02392.jpg

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
FLOL! How the hell???? Have you tried getting some very thin down there? As opposed to just abusing it?

It's one of those sort of things, as soon as you break the seal it should move, surely?

Just need some very shallow angled fox wedges to start it off, then you can get behind it properly. That or drill and tap a couple of holes in it once it's away from the hub and literally jack it off with a couple of set screws.

RS6 C7
Mine wouldn't budge after a month! I got it off after about an hour!, Angle grinder WTF!. , Sounds daft but have you sprayed some penetrating spray around the edge and in all the holes? Its worth a go!

Heat up with blow torch, and cool rapidly......repeat. Remove caliper, then take the disc with it,smash the disc at the back with a lump hammer and a block of wood. (Dont blame me tho if you kill the disc, im a painter not a mechanic lol).

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
-Apply heat to the spacer

-Hammer a wedge into the gap.. if you can get hold of one.

-If you have the resources, bolt a steel bar to the spacer.
Alternatively bolt the wheel back onto the spacer and wobble the hell out of it.
Or bolt the wheel to spacer, and spacer to hub bolts in loosely, lower the car.

(at your own risk) :)

LOL I did say it was f**ked.
Grinder was a last resort! Before that I'd tried
-Penetrating spray
-hammering a screwdriver in to between to try and wedge it off. No luck
-hammering a chisel in between to try and wedge it off. No luck
-Screwing a bolt into one of the holes and hitting the f**k out of it with a hammer. No luck.
-Bolting the wheel back on, but not the spacer, and whacking it from behind, wobbling etc. No luck
-Grinding a groove into the spacer, then smacking downwards with a chisel and hammer. No luck.
-Using a variety of pointy utensils and a hammer to try and prise it off. No luck.
-Randomly grinding and hitting in frustration lol. You must get it by now.

And after all that, it's not even moved. The bolt holes are still all lined up. And now my grinding disc is blunt.
Trouble is I f**ked it up so much, that I can't get the wheel back on.
So it must come off!

I hate cars sometimes! Never as straightforward as they should be. Ever!

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
What i would do is heat the sh*t out of it and then try putting a screw driver on the edge of a bolt hole pointing towards the ground and try hitting it with a hammer I.E. trying to get it to spin rather than trying to fit a wedge in if that makes sense.. not sure how else to explain it! Good luck!

see my list ^ Tried using various things to make it spin! Not even the slightest goddam movement!

I guess my only possible solution is heat then! Although I don't own anything to make heat with. Oh dear. :eek:
Maybe I'll just light a bonfire underneath. That should do the trick.

182cup & 172 racecar
FFS,put the bolts back in but leave them a little loose,put the wheel back on,drop it to the floor and wiggle the steering wheel or drive it a couple of feet and brake,that will free it.

182cup & 172 racecar
I've just told you how to get it off,no drilling no bashing.

I don't mean drive it around the block,just forward a couple of feet and brake hard.

Last edited:
  Audi A5
i was going to say source a hub puller from a local garage their probably lend it to you for free or if not penuts. but tony's idea should work.

If the stud holes go through the spacer you could get 2 high tensile set screws and use them as a press to push the spacer off, if not put 2 studs back in and get a thick piece of flat to pick up the 2 studs and drill and tap out the middle of the flat to align with the hub nut and try and use that as a press.

Regards Russ.....

Audi A5
Did someone worry about the spacers coming off that they put some no more nails behind it just to be safe lol

Clio MK2 1.4 16v
bolt the wheel on without bolting the hubspacer to the hub.

Lower the car and push it back and forward very very carefully. At least this is the way i have seen people do things like that.

BTW it could work but could also go realy badly.

182cup & 172 racecar
bolt the wheel on without bolting the hubspacer to the hub.

Lower the car and push it back and forward very very carefully. At least this is the way i have seen people do things like that.

BTW it could work but could also go realy badly.

Don't do this,if it comes off it will all fall on the floor!!

Just bolt the spacer in loosely,then do as I said in previous post.

If you are using a trolley jack, even better,just drop it from as high as possible, this will give it a head start.

182, 6r GTi
blow tortch (decent one not one with a poxy flame) will expand and should break the seal, but Tonys way should deffo work keep trying that ^^^

Lol. okay. Well I tried for like 15 mins.
Loosely bolted the spacer to the hub, then bolted the wheel tight to the spacer.
Then dropped the jack rele fast, wiggled the steering wheel left/right loads of times.. Drove forward, brake sharp, drove back, brake sharp a few times.
Wheel off, Still stuck solid.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Cilit bang? (serious) it might f**k your disc up but it will eat aluminium so it should be able to penetrate the crack

Arctic Blue FF 182
Lmfao let me explain this, the spacers is attached to the hub and the disc you would need to remove the spacers to remove the disc.

I suppose worse case, the disc retaining screw is in 1 of 4 places. Worse case, the spacer is ali, so wouldn't take much to drill, you end up drilling a hole through the spacer and drill the head off the disc retaining screw to remove both together.

EDIT: Having said that, there is already the 4 possible holes in the spacer

I'm just gonna try driving it a bit further tomorrow with Tony's method again. And try and find someone with a blowtorch.
Also can't destroy anything other than the spacer. Need the wheel back on for monday.

182cup & 172 racecar
Drive it up the road then and do a bit of weaving or go around a corner,you should here it go 'clunk'.