ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Front drivers hub nut removal

Clio 2.0 182
Ive tried and tried to remove the front hub nut on the drivers side and i can't get it to budge!

its a 30mm Castle nut, ive had a 6ft scaffold bar on a breaker bar to try shift it and it just will not move!!!

ive tried hitting it with a hammer to break the possible corrosion on it, ive put WD40 and penetrating grease onto it, and still nothing.

is this normal to have is to hard to remove?

im trying to remove the nut by turning anti - clockwise. i cant see any pins in the castle nut that need to be removed, looks like it should be just a straight forward nut to undo.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Administer 2 Weetabix.

Get someone to sit in and hold their foot on the brake pedal. The reduction in movement will assist you.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Biggest issue is that most of the force you're applying isn't going to the nut, its going downwards off the nut. I find the best way to solve this is use an axle stand under the head of the breaker bar and set it level. You're then moving the pivot point away from the wheel and perfectly in line.

330i. E30 Touring.
If a six foot bar isn't undoing it, then you need to man up.

Or take it to a garage and get them to loosen it with air, and nip it up again for you.

330i. E30 Touring.
I'm not smart enough to work out how much force can be applied with a 6ft bar, but i'm guessing it's not far off 1000Nm.

I bent a 3ft breaker bar and snapped the joint on another with a length of scaffolding pole slid over it. Force, y0.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Sure there was another similar thread where the guy ended up grinding it off. It was hilarious the mess he made

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not smart enough to work out how much force can be applied with a 6ft bar, but i'm guessing it's not far off 1000Nm.
If you weigh 12 stone and excerpt all of your body weight at 6 ft from hub it would be 1008 ft lb or 1380nm which scientifically also known as a f**k load.
That's a tight hub nut.

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
That'll be a mega f**k load, normally administered by jumping up and down like a demented baboon on the end of the scaff pole.

Clio 2.0 182
i got the nut off!

went to a garage and borrowed an inch socket and breaker bar and then put a 6ft scaffold bar on the breaker bar.

it moved it :D

182 ff
i got the nut off!

went to a garage and borrowed an inch socket and breaker bar and then put a 6ft scaffold bar on the breaker bar.

it moved it :smiley:
years ago I had a 1970 beetle..wanted to take the hub nut off.i got a breaker bar from Halfords and a long pole..it wouldn't move, to took it to a Halfords garage,they tried it with a bigger pole ,and the Halfords breaker bar broke.. mechanic said go and get your money back ,halford tools are rubbish,,i will use our breaker bar.. anyway about 3 mechanics on a 6 footish bar ,they finally undone the nut,but bend their breaker bar.. ha

Clio 2.0 182
ive got the front hubs out and have exposed the bearings, how do i know what bearings to buy from euro car parts?

Thanks.

Clio 2.0 182
The bearing in my hub says " SNR GB 12807 S06 " euro car parts want £47.99, surely i can get a bearing cheaper than that?
any suggestions?

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
That's the better bearing iirc, those kind of things I would rather go for a better quality item. GSF do the same bearing and members get discount there. Also be careful when pressing the bearing out, I bent the calliper mounting points on my hub as the bearing was proper wedged in.