ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spacers 'guide'/info

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Talking about the 5mm spacers like the pms ones mate. The trak spacers are the hubcentirc ones?

So for people that have fitted 5mm spacers have you stuck with the standard size bolts

Nope, I went for 30mm bolts on for my 5mm spacers........ the 5mm could probably take the standard bolts but for such a low cost item, why risk it? That was my thinking!

just got 5mm pms spacers to fit to mine all round. Think mine sits a bit lower than yours tho. Dont think it will rub

Mine's on Cooksport springs :up:

Sonic Boom

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Sport Ph1
I have 25mm fronts and 8mm rear spacers.
214A48B1-901A-4BF4-AA52-41C7CD052FA1_zpsigkudt8g.jpg

E517616D-46F4-4CBB-B094-84A7B6D39E7A_zpsei2cocvr.jpg

35FA20FC-2A03-4FD0-B6DA-85FA62CE2EE9_zpsgtl84r3e.jpg

Rich

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Dont rear wheel spacers only add a bit of stability?
I see some peeps put small spaccers on rear, and bigger on front

Sonic Boom

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Sport Ph1
Car looks great Rich, what suspension are you running? Any rubbing?

Cheers mate, no rubbing although but I run Gaz GHA full coilover all round 650lb rear springs and 500lb front so there's very little movement I just use it as a Hillclimb car so doesn't see alot of road use (I don't think my spine could take it for very long now, I used to drive it to and from events but I have a motorhome and trailer now)

The first photo is the most resent that was after an event at Loton Park, as you can see it gained another 1.5 neg camber on the rear from the last two photos, from the aid of some shims.

Rich

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Lots of helpful info!

Right, ill try and get under the car this weekend to see whay ET my wheels are, then I can decide on size!

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Cheers mate, no rubbing although but I run Gaz GHA full coilover all round 650lb rear springs and 500lb front so there's very little movement I just use it as a Hillclimb car so doesn't see alot of road use (I don't think my spine could take it for very long now, I used to drive it to and from events but I have a motorhome and trailer now)

The first photo is the most resent that was after an event at Loton Park, as you can see it gained another 1.5 neg camber on the rear from the last two photos, from the aid of some shims.

Rich

That's great Rich thank you, mine is a road car but am toying with the idea of spacers I was going to go 5mm rear and 20/25mm front so not far off what you have hence why I asked about suspension, think eventually I will go for Bilstein B14 coilovers but that will be next year at some point :smile:

Mondial Blue 172 Cup
On mine I run a 20mm spacer on the front (although not currently because I snapped the bolts on one of them as they were bolt to hub) and a 10mm stub axle spacer on the back. 1st pic is with the front spacers but no rear spacers.
15110837_10210004659446024_407703591373193042_o.jpg

14516475_10209478956583781_6003416370413761449_n.jpg
15167689_10210004651805833_2032828281641081847_o.jpg

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Should it be obvious what my ET are on my wheels? Can see the speedline logo and loads of random numbers but its too cold and and ive got my nice clothes dirty being under the car.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Would it be better handling wise to put my 20mm on the front and get some 10mm for the back? In the past ive always put bigger spacers on the rear as a) it looks better imo b) it usually adds more stability when cornering with a wider rear wheel spacing. Or go for 20mm all round?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Would it be better handling wise to put my 20mm on the front and get some 10mm for the back? In the past ive always put bigger spacers on the rear as a) it looks better imo b) it usually adds more stability when cornering with a wider rear wheel spacing. Or go for 20mm all round?
20mm spacers up front absolutely annihilate the scrub radius geometry, so essentially you'd be pissing in the wind and playing with the steam. They do nothing for handling in that size - only looks I'm afraid.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
20mm spacers up front absolutely annihilate the scrub radius geometry, so essentially you'd be pissing in the wind and playing with the steam. They do nothing for handling in that size - only looks I'm afraid.

So leave the spacers on the rear?

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
What does it drive like mate? This is the most important thing tbh. If you like the way it drives, then leave them on is my advice. :up:

It seems a bit different, very slightly twitchy at rear, but havent driven hard yet. Could always take them off when putting track wheels on i suppose.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
That. I've tried all sorts of sizes front and rear. It drives absolutely blob on with no spacers tbh. Et38 wheels for reference.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
It seems a bit different, very slightly twitchy at rear, but havent driven hard yet. Could always take them off when putting track wheels on i suppose.
Yeah you could do mate. The way I look at it is this, the guys at Renaultsport know how to build a fooking awesome chassis, so they've set it up to be a fantastic hot hatch. Ok, so there's areas that they can be improved upon with stiffer suspension setups, but that's when you enter a whole new league of pain if you go about it the wrong way.

Strangely though, spacers don't appear to have any real effect on handling on the mk3's!

RB Clio 182
I think mine handles much better with the wider track, it was even better with camber but my tyres were wearing too quickly, i think i was running too much lol.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
These were all on 16mm at the front, 10 mm on the back.

photo6-jpg.jpg

photo2-jpg.jpg

13275735074_4d48214000_c.jpg

This is on 16mm at the front, 5 mm on the back and it is worth noting they have @NorthloopCup Rollcentre kit which also increases the track width iirc.

20260279302_19e87ce066_h.jpg

20080873650_62caf47897_k.jpg

Hmm, that looks great. Handle okay on that? What ET are the wheels?

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
What's the actual offset after spacers on all these wheels?

If you've got aftermarket wheels with a slightly lower offset than standard wheels then they'll obviously both look different even if you use the same size spacers.