ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spark Plug help.

Clio Sport 172
hi all

im thinking of changing my spark plugs as i not sure when they was last done.. the car is on 42,000. but anyway i read that you have to check the distance of the end of the plug? does anyone do this or have you found they are the right distance?

was thinking of getting bosch super 4? any other suggestion?

cheers
si

172 Race Car
you cannot check the gap on platinum plugs, it wrecks them! If u buy new ones just check them by eye.

Plugs are changed at 72k or 5 years iirc. mine were absolutly shagged at 50k.

Dont bother with Bosch, just get the stock plugs. Do a search for the spec, they are NGK, you can get them from other places cheaper then the dealer. Got mine from partco

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Just changed mine, looked fine a 70k if i'm honest, but i wouldn't know if one was knackered or not.

LY 182
you can check the gaps no problem - its just pointless as its easy to see if they are knackered, you just cant gap them as the electrode is too delicate.
ngks are pfr6e-10

im running bosch plugs in mine hell of a lot cheaper and runs perfect

Clio Sport 172
ahh cool thanks guys :D. what do about tightening them up? do it by hand then a further quarter turn?

Golf GT TDI, IS220d
Just order the correct ones for your car, but obviously you carnt check the gaps on super 4's as you carnt get the feeler gauge in. I ordered mine on ebay for under £15

172 Cup
Change them before this happens

fookedplugs.JPG

Freetrack&Monaco 172
Hi guys, still about spark plugs, ish:

I was having a look under the bonnet whilst cleaning at the w/e and noticed the rubber on my HT leads (coil pack end) was worn through on one and some on another.......obviously I need to replace them, and they look different to any HT leads I have ever changed (only had my Cup for 4 months).......I'm making the assumption the inlet manifold top piece will need to be removed for access? And I shall change my plugs at the same time.......is there anything else worth doing then too?

172 Cup
s**t! Dare I ask where the other bit went lol!

Haha. To this day I don't know. I'm lucky they didn't knack up the piston heads or the valves.

I had problems with two of my HT leads too. the rubber on the was worn and was earthing on the engine. You have to remove the plenum to change the plugs and leads. Rather than buy standard leads I got some blue magnecor ones as they were a similar price. Plus they look far better.

ht1.JPG

Freetrack&Monaco 172
Thanks hoggaz, thought it might be something like that involved......dont think mine are earthing on anything....yet.....will get them sorted asap! Either that or have my car fully serviced somewhere as it needs new filters etc......

Also do you know of any published manuals for the 172 (cup), haynes dont seem to cover it at all...?

Blimey so it broke off into the piston chamber and didnt cause and internal engine damage, lucky boy!

There is no haynes manual for the 2.0