ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spate of vicious postings - pls read

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

We seem to have a spate of users who are signing up just to cause trouble and try and bring cliosport and this forum down. The latest of these is sputnik. As a warning to these users, I can, and will track you down and post your details on here. sputnik, if you come back I will post your name and telephone number on here. I would advise you dont.

If anybody notices posts like these, please inform a moderator (kis172, ChavyBoy, geoff_clio172 or Jas), and we can delete them straight away.

Jas

2012 WRX Waggon

fook - em - make the site members only (except paddy who is clearly tp totight to join)

I am bolloxed!

ban alcohol it kills ur brain cells

Jas, if there is a prolem with trouble makers visting the site, why dont you make all the forums read only for non-members?

Im sure youve thought of this but just wondered why you havent done it?

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by steveV6 on 07 August 2003

Jas, if there is a prolem with trouble makers visting the site, why dont you make all the forums read only for non-members?

Im sure youve thought of this but just wondered why you havent done it?
Problem is that new users who may not have a Clio and/ or are seeking advice cannot use the forum...

I was posting on here a looooooong time before I got my Clio and finally joined up and Im glad I could.

We shouldnt have to make it members only though! :cry:

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

I wouldnt think making the whole forum members only would attract too many potential new members who would like to ask questions.

Maybe make a new forum area for non members and have the traditional areas for members only

The only problem with making this members only is that youll get the people on here, who dont own a clio disappearing from the site.
So,what you say? Well how about the users who have CTRs, MINIs and Saxos who are on here and dont cause trouble? Would you want to loose them, aswell as the nob ends?

What about ex-Clio owners who mearly want to share advice or keep in touch of Clio issues but dont want to join? I think the site works well as it is, Sputnik was banned within 45 minutes of his first posting so no real harm done. I say the forum monitors police the site quite well at the moment.

VW Potato

I agree - its not a matter of excluding non-members from posting, its a matter for prompt action by the moderators to boot the troubles makers out (which they did very swiftly in Sputniks case)

g

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

We are thinking of having a limited number of posts for non-members, say 50 posts before they can only view. The problem with this is that its difficult to implement. We are also thinking over the idea of making the forum members-only, and only allowing non-members to post in the Club Questions forum. Ive never really wanted to do this and have always been against it, but in light of recent goings-on, its being re-considered.

Mr2 Roadster

Rather you than me Jas, you guys do a good job and overall Im proud of the way the site is/works. I know its a lot of hard work/time to implement changes to the forum but if it turned out that it was better how it was, then it can always be reversed.

Is it possible that you could have someway of monitoring newbies posts? For instance you get a link to their posts, so you can see whether you think they are appropiate?

Well done and Good luck...

Why not let non-members have access to only one forum - say clio discussion that way they are spotted straight away and dont cause havoc everywhere. But non members can still use and read the main forum that way.

Clio v6

I guess it might be easier to delete a whole topic in the general forum, than to go through all the abusive posts in every forum and delete them one by one.

At least it would only be one full topic removed rather than every full topic throughout the whole forum.

Mr sputnik seemed to have stalked a certain member in every forum. Your job would be made easier had he not been allowed access to all the rest.

Bogus "Nasty and vengence ridden" names, I do not agree with. ( the fun for a second ones could be overlooked maybe? )

i dont understand why some people feel its necessary to come on here and act like complete and utters ****

ok so sometimes there are a few rows on here as people have different opinions on matters but its really beyond me why people have to come on here and be abusive.

id be really interested to see what these idiots are like in real life. Would they be so clever if face to face with the person they are giving sh*t to ?

its pathetic and i think it would be a good idea in future to give them a warning and if they continue, to publish whatever information we have available about them and see how cocky they are face to face with people rather than behind a keyboard.

or alternatively just ban non members but let me know first so i can join up !!

320d M Sport

Yeah well done!

Oh and so everyone knows Ive paid for my membership RENEWAL!

Thats a point, what if u go down to 1 star like me for a few weeks? If u made it members only i wouldnt be able to post quality advice like i do, or pics of me car! :(

Elise/VX220/R26

Maybe members only is a good idea, might encourage more people to actually join and should keep the riff raff out (or in ;))

Quote: Originally posted by Jas on 07 August 2003

We are thinking of having a limited number of posts for non-members, say 50 posts before they can only view. The problem with this is that its difficult to implement. We are also thinking over the idea of making the forum members-only, and only allowing non-members to post in the Club Questions forum. Ive never really wanted to do this and have always been against it, but in light of recent goings-on, its being re-considered.
Interesting theory. But Sputnik managed to get in at least 20 offensive posts before I alerted Ivan to ban him. A newcomer wishing to wreek havoc on the site can still do a pretty good job with only 50 posts, so im not sure how that would work. If non members will only be allowed limited access to the forums I would be off. Not because im a tight git, ive paid membership before but I cant see the point in doing so for another year until I get another Clio.

ICE'dberg MK2 172

If anyone is really interested in Clios then they wouldnt mind stumping up the £5 for membership, whether they have a clio or not.

Members only!!! and read only for non members

......or a section for non members to post????

I see youve got strong views on the subject chris but not all (y) posters are out to bring the site down.

So what happens then when a (y)(y)member comes in here creating hell? You cant ban him hes a paying member, so then what?

What im getting at is youll never stop em if they really want to f**k up the site or piss others off. Considereing other sites ive visited we very rarely get them anyway.

S2000

Just cos someone is a paying member doesnt mean they cant be banned from the forum :devilish: ;) All forum users have to abide by the rules, if you dont well..... :D

Willy2

Why dont the admin team create a Probabtionary 40 post law, so basically peeps cant come on the site and cause trouble, after their 40 posts they are reviewed and watched for another 40 posts, then reviewed again, during this 80 posts they walk on thin ice 1 dodgey remark and they get banned, I am against a members only forum as sometimes you get to meet people who are not members who sell stuff or give really good advice, i think the admin should create a status for the number of posts made, ie 5000 = addicted, like on other boards!

making it members only would be a very bad idea, i used the fourm for a quite some time before i got my 16v and joined the club, and got a lot of advice (before i had a clio 1.2 and didnt want the club features(discounts), i wouldnt have paid 10 dolla to use a forum)

Clio v6

Quote: Originally posted by Rajk on 08 August 2003

i think the admin should create a status for the number of posts made, ie 5000 = addicted, like on other boards!
5000 ?

Have you any idea how difficult it is to get to 5000 posts ?

Happy Birthday

LOL

Me too.

:)

and of cousre one must not forget,

Jelly Babies.

There thats given me a head start.

(addicted to what ) LOL

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Quote: Originally posted by Rajk on 08 August 2003

Why dont the admin team create a Probabtionary 40 post law, so basically peeps cant come on the site and cause trouble, after their 40 posts they are reviewed and watched for another 40 posts, then reviewed again, during this 80 posts they walk on thin ice 1 dodgey remark and they get banned, I am against a members only forum as sometimes you get to meet people who are not members who sell stuff or give really good advice, i think the admin should create a status for the number of posts made, ie 5000 = addicted, like on other boards!
Rajk the 40 post rule or anything remotely like it would mean that someone would have to police the board every working hour of the day and that is not viable. All the admin team do this in their spare time .

As to the members only forum I think this is a good idea and only have one section open to non members which could be called NEWBIES or the like some anyone can post in here before they join.

IMHO if you have a Clio and have posted in the forum for a while there is no excuse not to pay the £5 to join as everyone else who is a member has had to pay this at some point after all the hosting of this site isnt cheap as everyone can appreciate and also getting this site stable comes at a price as well, you get what you pay for when you buy webspace..

Low bandwidth and low reliability = low price

High band width and high reliability = High price

And I would say based on stats Jas has told me about this forum and the fact we have GB download throughputs every month puts us into the later category.

You need some form of vetting really, now even though i own my Subaru, i have owned 7 french cars, 2 vauxhall vans (work related so not my fault) and a ford mondeo, out of those 7 cars, 3 were renaults.....

If people are really interested and dont want to be classed as someone whos just on to disrupt then you could always speak on the phone with a moderator or the likes, or go to a local area meet where you can be given a form to fill out and get access to the forums as there are more cars/manufacturers out there than just renault, and alot of people may be wanting to buy a run around which may not be a renault, plus you have the benefit of experience of people who have moved on from owning clios/19s etc and so can pass that experience back down to the newer owners.

Just my 2ps worth :D

Tony