ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Special spacer for stock steering wheel

Nine468

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Trophy,BMW X5,
Ah.. Now its all fitting into place.
Im guessing the screws that screw parts 1,3 + 6 together are also included.
Also if i ordered one of the spacer pieces , will the longer M12 bolt still have enough thread on it to tighten up.?
Thanks.

BMW M3 E46
Yes, the bolts are included. If you buy the intermediate spacer also, I'll supply a longer M12 bolt. The kit arrives to the customer ready to fix, you won't need to buy anything more. ;)

Nine468

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Trophy,BMW X5,
Ive received my kit, Thanks G...but not had the chance to get it fitted yet..
Nice piece of kit though, it looks well made....

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Really interested in one of these, the lack of steering wheel reach adjustment is a big problem for me too.

Do you need to extend any of the cables to the standard 182 wheel to fit it with the extra spacer in place or do they reach OK?

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
True, it's not as if it would be a hard job, just would have been less hassle not to have to do it.

I'm dithering between keeping the original wheel with this mod or just replacing the wheel with a smaller one with it's own boss and getting a spacer to fit between the new wheel and the boss.

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
costwise it comes out to about the same, a boss extends the steering shaft a bit anyway, and the you could add a dished wheel for more spacing.
I like the oem'ness of this solution though.

True, it's not as if it would be a hard job, just would have been less hassle not to have to do it.

I'm dithering between keeping the original wheel with this mod or just replacing the wheel with a smaller one with it's own boss and getting a spacer to fit between the new wheel and the boss.

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
Just mounted it today...quick and dirty in the parking at work...so no pics ...sorry.
The splines have to be aligned by the flatspots on the splined part.
Thwn it slides on easy to be tightened with the nut provided.
Still have to extend the wiring, but the amount of extending needed is very little.
The set I have with one extra extender piece is to far for my hands to reach the stalks, but it does give me a racey position.
I'll drive it like this for a bit to see if i'll keep the extra bit in there or not.
Driving position is soooooo improved!
One unecpected extra.....the stereo seems to have better imaging too!

Nine468

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Trophy,BMW X5,
Just mounted it today...quick and dirty in the parking at work...so no pics ...sorry.
The splines have to be aligned by the flatspots on the splined part.
Thwn it slides on easy to be tightened with the nut provided.
Still have to extend the wiring, but the amount of extending needed is very little.
The set I have with one extra extender piece is to far for my hands to reach the stalks, but it does give me a racey position.
I'll drive it like this for a bit to see if i'll keep the extra bit in there or not.
Driving position is soooooo improved!
One unecpected extra.....the stereo seems to have better imaging too!

Hi . Just looked at a steering wheel / airbag removal guide.
See linky...http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...ng-wheel-all-stalks-steering-casing-and-squib
My question is, which wires will need extending. Is it just the red and black wires.? Or do the airbag wires need extending too.
Thanks.

BMW M3 E46
Some pics of the kit on Clio 172

Lb4KBN.jpg

fdGxa2.jpg

hlfGHv.jpg

WpfV32.jpg

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
Finished mine this weekend.
The flatcables are a real pain to solder (about 1mm wide and really thin)
The cover for the extensions doesn't fit well though....would like something a bit smaller in diameter and with a harmonica effect.
Will put up pics later.

'10 Clio200
very fast shipping and good quality work!
I finished mine last weekend, I will do a fitting guide if you want, as I took some pics during the process.
Solved the problem of the rubber cover not fitting properly by appliying some loctite.

BMW M3 E46
I cannot see the guide. :disrelieved:
I have to meet a man that manufactures rubber gaskets of any type for making customized rubber cover.
It was very hard to find one from the market and it is the one that doesn't fit perfectly. Anyway, finally it doesn't fit look so bad after doing all the fitting.

'10 Clio200
I cannot see the guide. :disrelieved:
I have to meet a man that manufactures rubber gaskets of any type for making customized rubber cover.
It was very hard to find one from the market and it is the one that doesn't fit perfectly. Anyway, finally it doesn't fit look so bad after doing all the fitting.

I think the rubber cover is not a problem as long as you fit it with care and use some glue. I mentioned it in the guide because mine was a bit bent and I had to use some heat to re-shape it.
Since you can't see the guide I'll post here the pics of the cover for you:

WP_20141002_014_zps075033ef.jpg

Glued:

WP_20141002_004_zps080f52c7.jpg

And this is how it looked when I tried to fit everything the first time:

WP_20141001_008_zps9d6f3cf1.jpg

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Extending the airbag wires was beyond my meagre soldering skills so although I was really happy with the spacer I've replaced the original wheel and spacer with an aftermarket wheel and boss instead. I didn't have any problems with the indicators not cancelling though.

Nine468

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Trophy,BMW X5,
Now finished the install of this steering spacer.
Fine piece of kit from Italy. Thanks G..
The wires have been extended by aprox 100mm as bozo has said.
That took some fiddling, but managed to do it.. Its just time consuming.
BUT so well worth it. I can now drive the car in comfort...
No issues with the indicators though, everything works fine....
Also I super glued the black extension onto the back of the wheel, as pepinosport has , after warming it up and reforming it, as it had got misshapen in transit.
As I have the extra long extension I found the black " bellows" wasn't quite long enough, so I used an old shampoo bottle, [treseme] which as luck would have it is just slightly smaller diameter than the bellows, and cut that down, fitted inside the bellows , then glued it in place, so the steering column is now hidden...
Ill post a pic when ive taken one...
Ive managed to get a spare rotary / squibb switch, so when I ever sell the car it can be returned to standard...
Happy days....:up::up::smile::smile:

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
Is anyone interested in buying these? Giacomo has suggested that if at least 10 people are interested, he could produce another batch.

I have one of Giacomo's Clio III steering wheel spacer kits for sale. I bought it in December 2015 and never got around to fitting it.
Now I've sold my Clio so I don't need the spacer. Maybe someone can benefit from it rather than it gathering dust? Contact me if interested. Bought it for £92. Happy to sell for £50 + postage
Clio 3 steering wheel spacer Giacomo small.jpg

Clio Trophy
I have one of Giacomo's Clio III steering wheel spacer kits for sale. I bought it in December 2015 and never got around to fitting it.
Now I've sold my Clio so I don't need the spacer. Maybe someone can benefit from it rather than it gathering dust? Contact me if interested. Bought it for £92. Happy to sell for £50 + postageView attachment 146956

If it was for a Clio II I'd have bitten your hand off :)

R26
If the Clio3 adapter fits Megane R26 (which I think it does, as you can fit a Clio 197/200 wheel on the Megane), I'm in as well.

If anyone wants the rubber part or the bolt then I'm happy to offer it for free.

After that I shall bid these Forums farewell as I no longer want to think about this experience and the money I've wasted.

Last edited: