ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Speed of 1.2 16V

ok , out of curiosity....

What size engines could i beat in a race...

Out of..

Peugeots

Fords

Citroens

Want to no so i can smash all me mates in!

prob up to 1.4s, including mayb 1.6 autos which are generally slower like deisels, if u kno wen to change up and the other person dont

Can beat all Saxos up to but not including the VTR and VTS.

Corsas are my arch nemisis atm, can beat all of them bar the GSI and there are now 2 fecking 1.4 sports that are pretty close tbh, if not faster. I think its only the fact that I can corner that is making me keep up with them.

Never raced any Peugeots, so dont know....

Fords are easy peasey (new Fiestas in particular) but the Fiesta Zetec is a definate no no...

If you have the bottle and it aint all straight line racing then you are ok cos the Clio handles better than most other cars on the road. If its straight line then alot of cars will murder you. pick your races carefully and make sure the roads are in your favour ;)

OK, the following are fair game from my past races:

all Seat Ibizas up to the Cupra/Gti,

any Polo apart from G40/GTi,

any Punto apart from GT, but Sporting is an even match, might just edge it with the Clios superior handling.

You can take on all 206s apart from GTi as well.

Corsa SXi 1.2 16v, quite easily, but GSi is a contender.

Saxo Furio has 75BHP as well but the Clio 1.2 16V trounces it! Ive proved this time after time against 3 of my mates who all have this car! VTR will beat you by a smallish margin, which gets even narrower above 100mph.

Rover 211/214s (new shape) but not 216 16v.

You will also beat the older 1.4 8v Sport Clio (only just though) with just slightly more torque lower down.

H22A7 Accord Type R

mine must be slow as f**k them coz i cant keep with vtrs etc.......my mate left me at 80 easy!!!!!! mind u his was a induction n magnexd 98bhp model, and i had a 1.4 saxo furio pull away from me one time, but i think my car has loosened up since then!

Ive found that 1.4 8v model cars tend to be pretty similair performance to 1.2 16vs.

From what ive read and not experience the only common 1.2 model out their that will beat you is the punto. I believe theirs a 1.2 variant pushing 85bhp. You wouldnt beat a 1.6 punto sporting either(as was suggested), although not as fast as it should be it would have a 1.2

Doubt youd beat 1.4 16v corsa heavily. No chance of keeping up with a vtr-neither the 90bhp or 98bhp and their from experience.

All depends on driver though

I am suprised that that they could keep up anywhere near a VTR. I had a 2001 model 1.2 16V and there is no way I could stay with my mates who had no modifications. He also had an extra person in the car.

VTRs are a good match for Mondeo ST24s in a race up to about 80mph - a 1.2 16V would surely have no chance?

H22A7 Accord Type R

i agree with that! 2nd gear just me in my 1.2 16v, was creeping up side of mates vtr who was in 3rd with 2 peple in his...........he droppd down to second, pulled away, i changd to 3rd......he edged away, as soon as i wnt for 4th, he was off. out of site half a mile up the road lol.........fast little fcuks ;)

lol - dont try it on with any Pug 205 Xs/GTs (or GTis for that matter). They use the same engine as the Citroen AX GT, and althought then dont look much - they are wolves in sheeps clothing! 85bhp as standard from 1360cc 8v isnt bad - the AX hits 60 in 9 - the Pugs .5 later...

The later Pugs use the same engine with EFi which dropped power to 75bhp - like in the Saxos - so they werent as nippy...

Dont dismiss them tho ;)

H22A7 Accord Type R

but a bigger engined clio lol..........buy it, run it and enjoy it..........its nippy, if ur wanna race things, fair enough, but up a back road, the clio puts a smile on my face

sall good then...Im not after racing just want to be nippy, but it sounds like it is...im waiting 4 my motor, it comes in may!

there aint no way I can catch/beat a Vtr/Vts, but on proper twisty roads I ca stick to their arse like glue! Really annoys them, hehehehehe.

The 1.2 16v is a slow car, there arent any arguements to say it isnt. It just aint as slow as alot of other cars in its class.

One thing to try and race is a Micra 1.3 (any 1.3 model), I had one, they are quoted as 75bhp, yet mine ran a quarter mile nearly 2 seconds quicker than the Clio. Micras are really fast when wound up, the Clio needs to be the same.......

Remember, most of us got the 1.2 cos its cheap to run and costs feck all to insure, if you wanna go faster buy a faster car, the 1.2 aint worth perfomance modding

Lets be honest its a 1.2 its not very fast, whats the point in trying to race other cars its a little car!!! and as for it beating a Corsa my parents 1.2 16v SXI seems much nippier than my 1.2 16v Clio Dynamique, and on paper the Corsa is a second quicker. I dont think my car could stay newhere near anything like a VTR. And when you say a Punto 1.6 sporting are you talking about the mk1 or the mk2 cause the mk2 sporting only came in a 1.2 16v unless you got the Arbarth which is a 1.8 (Fiat only have 4 engines for the punto the 1.2 8v, 1.2 16v, 1.9JTD and the 1.8 16v). And a 1.2 16v Punto does have more power and is quicker than the Clio

wait until your Clio hits about 12k and it starts to free up, at about 10K most people start to notice it loosening up a bit. When I first got it I HATED it, was soooo slow

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Quote: Originally posted by theICEman on 14 April 2003

You will also beat the older 1.4 8v Sport Clio (only just though) with just slightly more torque lower down.
Are you referring to the mk1 Clio 1.4, the same engine thats in the RT, Maxim, Champs Elysses and S model? I doubt very much that the 1.2 16v can keep up with this seen as the old mk1 1.4 can keep up with the VTR in a straight line up to about 80mph.

Also mentioned keeping up with all 206 except the GTi, doubt that as well, 1.6 16v would whip it and the HDI could probably pull away as well.

1.2 16v is fast for its class though as are most Clios!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

actually my power at the wheels was something like .5bhp less than a modded 1.4 rt and that was when my car was standard.

the transmission loss on the 1.4 is massive

dont write us off yet

Wasnt referring to the Mk1 1.4. I meant the 1.4 8V (1998-2000) Sport, which is on paper, identical to the 1.2 16v (75 BHP) and it is deffo not quicker than the 1.2 16v!!! Someone on this forum used to have one and was commenting on that exact fact.

The Clio is quicker than the SXi, including on paper! Its 0-60 time is 13-odds and the Clio does 12.1 (manufacturers published figures for my 1.2 16v Sport).

As for 206s, good point, I forgot about the Xsi model. But anything up to a Quicksilver would be beaten by the clio.

And Punto wise, was referring to the old 1.6 8v sporting, this would not keep up with the clio. The new shape 1.2 16v would. The GT and Abarth models would kick its ass.

Well thats completely different to the figures ive got as it says 13.0 for my 1.2 16v sport 0-62 and the SXI is 12.0 secs, 0-60? Im looking at both sets of figures now. And when I drive the Corsa it definately feels quicker, and i dont think 2mph is gonna make a hell of a difference, not a whols second anyway.

The new shape (mk3 2001 on) 1.2 16v has a 0-62 of 13.0. Renault revised the figures cos a) the car is heavier, especially since it now has ABS, and b) the car now has 15" wheels. Mine is the old shape 1.2 16v and the brochure states 12.1. And the Corsa 1.2 Sxi, according to What Car, does 0-60 in 13.7 secs (test figures) - more recent test was 15.0 secs! And my Vauxhall brochure (published May 2001) - I have this cos I was considering this car instead of a Clio at the time - states 13.0.

Heres the torque figures as well:

Mk2 Clio Sport 1.2 16v: 75BHP@5500 rpm. 84 lb/ft torque @ 4250 RPM

Mk3 Clio Dynamique 1.2 16v: 75BHP@5500RPM. 77 lb/ft. torque @ 3500 RPM.

Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 16v Sxi: 74 BHP@5600RPM. 81 lb/ft. torque @ 4000 RPM.

So there is a difference.

OK time for my comments... Ive had my 1.2 since November - my first car - and have just hit 9k miles (!).

First - the loosening up that solow refered to (nothing to do with my mum...) I agree with - the car has definately been running smoother and slightly quicker in recent weeks.

Like many of you guys (or so it seems) I test drove many of the small car offerings before purchasing, and I dont have any regrets about the Clio whatsoever. Ive actually just come home having driven for most of the day, in a huge variety of scenarios, and I must say Im absolutely chuffed to bits with the car. To give you an idea (this was all today - Friday):

1) spent much of the day on dual carriageways / motorways including the M3 and A34 Winchester-Oxford, typically cruising at 90 which is smooth and feels safe. I touched 100 though it started to feel slightly shakey, I always ease off at this point because I hate to think of the car suffering abuse!

2) had some great drives down single-track back roads in the Cotswolds (because the A40 was gridlocked with hol traffic!!) and also some great winding roads in the Forest of Dean and the A338 between Swindon and Salisbury. The Clio was a pleasure to drive in this scenario, nothing really more to say!

3) several challenges on Cheltenhams inner ring road this afternoon!! A notorious boy-racer infestation in this, my home town... so I was amused to have several try it on... including one in an Fiesta with 16V badges all over it which, to my surprise somewhat, I absolutely murdered... I say surprise because Ive never really raced before, and it was very clear that the competing muppet in this case was really trying his hardest.

Sorry I cant be much more technical or specific, I just wanted to say that from a first-time drivers perspective, the 1.2 16V is heaps of fun and better than everything else in the class!!

Ok ice man youre right I was going on the new figures, out of curiousity why have the torque figures dropped for the later Clio 1.2 16v

I can only assume that they adjusted the ECU for economy rather than performance, as the newer shape 1.2 16v figures promise about 5mpg more.