ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

speedline 2118 refurb project

clio 182
Hi bit bored so fort i mite put up some before and after pics of my soon to be refurbed speedline 2118's

took them to the wheel refurb shop after work today so it will be a wile before i can upload pics of them after the refurb (hopefully not to long)

i bort them off ebay and they had been on a rally car so they have been beaten up but the guy who does the refurb is known as been unbelivable so i have no worrys they will come up good.

im gettin them finished in anthracite and bort some toyo proxes to wrap them in to see what ther like for myself coz ive heard good and bad reviews.

ive also made some custom center caps at work to go on them. you will c them in the pic but they havnt been sprayed and laquared yet because im not sure what colour to do them. also they need to be downsized to fit the diameter of the center hole. i made them from a 172 oz f1 center cap but only had 1 so i made a mold at work and pored in resin until i had 4 perfect ones. they came out realy good.

ther to go on my black clio 182 cup

any how time for the pics. let me no what you think if you have any interest ha. cheers.

Attachments

• speedline 2.jpg
    speedline 2.jpg
    523.9 KB · Views: 178
  • speedline 3.jpg
    speedline 3.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
  clio 182
they take a fair bit of time to make otherwise i would make u some. glad u like them tho, they should hopefully finish the wheels off.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
As above, I found that cod liver oil bottle lids are a great fit if you slice a small groove out of the lip part. I had mine skinned in carbon but it didn't look right as they didn't sit flush due to the hub nuts on the front.

Yours look a lot better :)

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
You are obviously not stupid as you have managed to make your own centre caps and use words like 'diameter' and 'anthracite'

So why cant you spell 'thought' instead of fort etc? annoys the tits off me!

Looking forward to seeing the wheels finished fo.

clio 182
yeh they have all been checked properly nd okayed. alot of the reviews i read before buying some for myself all said ther strong litle bugers.

clio 182
RSlceberg RE: just abit lazy with gramer i guess and my job doesnt aid spelling practice ha. hopefully i can get some pics up soon enough.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Just annoying trying to read through it and make sense of the words :p

What material did you use for the centre caps? You said resin?

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
Ha! I read this and was like wtf. I got myself a set of very tired looking 2118's a few weeks ago and dropped mine off at a company called velgen expert over here in the dam. Gone for the same colour as you and even a set of tr1's. The only thing I may have done different is the finish of the powder coat. I went matte rather than gloss. Bit of a gamble but hey Ho. Should compare before and afters.

clio 182
ha, yeh get sum pics up when u get them back. i couldnt believe how cheap the toyos are, i only paid £119 for all 4 from a local garage. wers the dam? i recon matte will look good, i havnt seen speedlines matte before so il look forward to the pics.

clio 182
RSlceberg RE: i used a two part resin 2:1 powder and resin mix. drys solid like a quality plastic. the hard bit was making the mold from the origional wich i then poured the resin in. it took me a few atempts to make a mold without bubbles. i also put a realesing agent on the mold like a liquid wax so once id poured in the resin and let it dry it came out fairly easy. there primed now ready for paint but not sure what colour yet, probly just match them in anthracite. il put a pic up of just the caps later.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
so if you have the mold still, shouldn't take long to turn it into a little money spinner, I know i'd have a set and be willing to pay if the fit and finish is decent enough, the 2118's look trousers without centres, its a massive shock to me that they don't have any!

clio 182
i only had the plan of making 4 so i made a fairly simple mold and it is no longer usable, id be lucky to get 1 more out of it. i would need to make a better re usable 1 but it would take some time and im fairly busy. plus im a bench joiner/pattern maker so if the boss saw me it would be fairly hard to explain ha. i will try to do it and if i get the chance to one day i will let you all no. i work in a copper foundry and i have asked some one to cast me some out of aluminium b4 but they dont come up as good as the resin ones.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
no danger chap, as said could be a money spinner if you can keep it covert ops from the boss is all ;)

when you say its based on phase 1 172 centres, I spose just 4 chopped down of them would do it? just thinking I may try that on mine if it works!

clio 182
yeh i was gona say you could just try that. i would of probably done that but i only had 1 good 1 so i had to make more.

clio 182
put a pic of the center caps i made after they have been primed up. ther not finished yet so they still have rough edges and i need to choose a colour for them, cant realy do much else with them now until i get the wheels back so i can fit them properly. had second thoughts today tho, thought i might try and make some solid copper ones (i work in a copper foundry) thought they might look fairly smart just laquard against the anthracite, could be wrong but im only playing around atm, if they look pants i will just put these normal ones on.

i made 5 just incase one goes wrong. some of them look dodgy on this picture but its just the photo. ther all spot on and still need about 2mm shaved of the diameter to fit the speedlines :)

Attachments

• center caps.jpg
    center caps.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
  clio 182
just google pattern resin. its normaly in two liquid forms, a resin + hardner. some come with 3 with an aditional powder to bulk it out but ther generaly all the same finish. you would probably just be better with the 2 part 1 as the powder 1s are generaly to save cost if using it alot and u might get a slightly better finish.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Had a look on google last night at casting a mold using rubber silicone. All the stuff seems a bit expensive :eek:

clio 182
not to sure on the cost tbh i just used some from work. i would of thought u could get a small tub from somewer like b&q because they do body filler and things like that so i would of thought they would have something.

mikes86

ClioSport Club Member
  182 track **** & MX5
Are these gen1 2118's or mags? If the latter i wouldn't run them on a road car!

Would also be interested in the centre caps if you decide to make some more, money waiting! :)

clio 182
i believe ther gen 1 2118's but im not that clued up on how many phases they have had. i thought they had only made 2 types, maybe you can set me straight. why wouldnt you run them on a road car? if i get a chance to make another mold to make more center caps i will contact every1 who has shown interest.thanks

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Just realised your from my part of the world!

Where abouts in Cumbria you from mate?

Look forward to seeing the wheels done

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
There are a couple of us around these parts... Lal B3n has an artic, Nashy has an artic, iv just got myself an RB and a lad called Tony also has a Artic.. Not sure if he on here though...

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Y U no juzt yoose centa capz frm tureenys y0?

R U masheenin ur driveshaftz down 2 fit da centa capz on da frunt? Fink dat day will b in da way uvverwyz.

clio 182
not sure yet, il cross that bridge when i come to it. probably machine the back of the cap to work with it, il have to w8 and c when the alloys are ready.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
not sure yet, il cross that bridge when i come to it. probably machine the back of the cap to work with it, il have to w8 and c when the alloys are ready.

The shaft protrudes beyond the seating rim for the lip of the centre cap. Not sure you'd be able to on the front tbh.

Like I said, Renaults 'turini' centre caps are a direct fit for the rear.