ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spray> Polish

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3
Right a few of you may remember saying about my £100 Toyota Corolla and it's bad paint.

Me and a friend are goin to respray it, black most probably.

Not sure whether to go for matt or metallic?

My question is, as it's a DIY spray job it's obviously not going to be perfect. Will polishing take out most of the spray imperfections and leave it with a good finish?

At what stages should I polish - paint or clearcoat (or both)?

Will hand polishing and some elbow grease be enough? Or will we need a pc/rotary?

What polish should be used?

Thanks in advance.

106 GTi
Black is the worst colour to spray!

I would flat the car between base coat and laquer, and then fire loads of laquer on to enable you to wet sand and polish the top coat to get a good finish.

A decent machine will be needed after doing the above. Look into the Megs Bodyshop or 3M bodyshop ranges.

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3
Black's the worst? Woulda thought it'd show the least spray imperfections.

What you think Rich? Matt or metallic?

Maybe I should go for another colour, was thinking a really bright orange lol.

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3
LOL changed my mind, this is gonna be a theme car.

We're currently choosing between a new york yellow Taxi with sign writing, or an army style camouflage.

I'm leaning towards military.

106 GTi
Black shows up every inperfection if gloss!

LOL - Where as Matt Black or Camo Green wont lol! May aswell apply them with a brush ;)