ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spraying bumpstrips using aerosols.

Chocolate Bar™
Been sanding and prepping my bumpstrips for the past few days and finally got them fully sprayed in pearl black. I left them overnight and then this morning i wet sanded using 1200 grit. Problem is that when i lacquered them it went cloudy, like really badly - not just in patches, pretty much the entire strips were knackered. Heated the lacquer prior to application and made sure it was shook fully.

Don't understand what went wrong to be honest. Was i right to leave them overnight, or do i do it as soon as the paint is dry with a really light sand.

Also, i know you can lacquer after 20mins as long as the paint is tacky, but is this only true when using a compressor and tinned paints?

Should i sand them smooth and then repaint the black, or is there anything anyone can recommend as ive run out of ideas - i.e. rubbing compound etc.

Mark

Punto/Clio GTT
why flat down a basecoat? i dont understand why some people on here flat down a basecoat then laquer. just spray the base, let it dry so you can touch it (20 mins) and laquer it, job done.
also p1200 is way too coarse for rubbing down a basecoat anyway if its got bits of sh*t in it, p2000/p1500 at most

its the base thats cloudy im guessing, rubbin compound wont do anythin as you wont be able to touch it, just the laquer.

when the laquers gone off, rub it all down again with your 1200, give it couple coats of basecoat, let it dry then laquer it.

Chocolate Bar™
thing is i dont normally sand between coats when im doing little spray jobs. but with it being quite a big area i followed the instructions religiously on the halfords can lol.

i'll give it another go tomorrow, but i still dont get why the base is cloudy because before i lacquered, it looked perfect?

i resanded it, and then sprayed it again using the base and it still went cloudy and wouldnt clear after 3 coats.

Mark

Hmm, not sure what went wrong? I've done engine covers and parts before using aerosols. But I never sanded the basecoat down and as a result the laquer was clear? Dont think i can give any advice other than to try again. PS: Out of interest (Might try this myself) How many coats did they take, how many cans of paint.

Cheers ;)

Chocolate Bar™
i gave it about 6 coats of paint, which was about 3 tins. This was to do the sides and the front section.

they looked absolutely mint before i lacquered them with a really deep shine :(

mark

What paint did you use? The custom stuff from Halfords? What do you think they'd look like without the laquer if put on the car, I know they wouldnt blend in as well but is the laquer needed for protection?

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3
Spammy said:
What paint did you use? The custom stuff from Halfords? What do you think they'd look like without the laquer if put on the car, I know they wouldnt blend in as well but is the laquer needed for protection?

Yep laquer is for protection.

Sound's like the laquer is reacting with something to me, very strange.

ITB'd 172 POPTART
U need to heat the laquer up in like a pan of warm water and not boil it. \The laquer gives of like a milky colour if its cold and not shaken well..... I found this and there is also a how too guide in this section i believe? i used 1200 to start with then once primed used 900 and i did that today infact and the result was awesome!!

craig

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3
Craig Ed said:
U need to heat the laquer up in like a pan of warm water and not boil it. \The laquer gives of like a milky colour if its cold and not shaken well..... I found this and there is also a how too guide in this section i believe? i used 1200 to start with then once primed used 900 and i did that today infact and the result was awesome!!

craig

I've never had any of these problems with that laquer before, and I've sprayed a few interior pieces.

Chocolate Bar™
I sprayed them in the garage, but i did heat the laquer up before hand in a pan of warm water, did everything i was meant to. The bloke before had sprayed them in pearl black, but they were damaged so i roughly sanded them down, then reprimed. Could the laquer be reacting with the paint he used? he said he used halfords but i dont know? I paid an extra 5 quid for the custom paint from halfords which was heaps better than the stuff sold in the shop. I've done loads of spraying before and this has never happened.... very strange

Clio Phase II 16V
well if what your spraying is cold plus the air, this can cause you problems...... you should try spraying in the kitchen, not a popular choice but usually works well

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
nevr sand a metalic strip untill the laquer! thats wot has gone wrongu can flat with the primer but never the base coat!

Chocolate Bar™
thats what i normally do, but i thought i'd follow the description on the can religiously, halfords shi*e :|