ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spraying engine covers??

Bumblebee
Advice please?

is it as easy as spraying a decent plastic primer, then the colour and then a good laquer??

Anyone have any experiences, good or bad?

ta in advance.
J:)

Chocolate Bar™
only problem ive had is when i did makavellis. his bonnet insulation was loose and rubbed on the engine cover whilst driving and the 'fluff' off it stuck to the lacquer. suppose if we'd have left it longer to fully cure then it wouldnt have been a problem. but he solved it by scrapping the insultion and using the dynamat stuff.

ive done a few now, and its just crucial to get it smooth before you start. other than that its the same as anything else. so prep, primer paint and lacquer as you would. just remember to buy plastic primer ;)

BMW E46 330i Touring
On mine the insulation has rubbed and left horrible black marks... wish I hadn't bothered now. :(

Chocolate Bar™
^ you can polish them out, but if you dont remove the insulation they'll just come back.

my insulation is really loose on my bonnet, so my try sticking it on better, or just scrap it in favour of the dynamat stuff.

Chocolate Bar™
if you remove the insulation and dont replace it with anything and just clean the covered surface then i cant see anything bad happening, except you'll lose the sound insulating properties. standard 2 pack paint can take massive temperatures so i wouldnt worry about the heat coming through onto the bonnet.

alternatively use some wet and dry to remove the fluff and then relacquer the section if its gone quite deep into the lacquer

VRS
me picking fluff off laquer :(
19072006011.gif

my solution:
engine001.jpg

mark mate, im doin my cover soon as well but was worried that standard paint would warp or go funny cos of heat from engine, is this likely or can i just buy from halfrauds and be on my way?

also, sorry to hijack a bit, but how easy would it be to recolour a strut brace? thinking yellow in the bay and all struts goin cheap on ebay are red. . . . .any ideas?

cheers

jamie

Chocolate Bar™
aww bless. but he does get easily confused lol

combine - did andys strut brace in black metallic instead of red, and with the exception of the fluff sticking to that which is now sorted, its just a matter of spraying it up as normal.