ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

spraying my car, were to buy paint form (to use in spray gun) and general advice!

CLIO PH1 172
hi guys im currently looking at getting the interior of the clio sprayed satin black, im getting quotes of around £300 but a couple of them have suggested doing it my self.

I think its something i could do and wouldnt mind giving it a go tbh.

I have access to a unit and an air compressor, so all i would need to buy is some abrasives, degreaser/panel wipes, paint and a spray gun (which im guessing will all come in at less than £300)

can anybody recommend my a good spray gun.... gravity or not?

plus were can i buy paint from ? i cant find anywhere that sells satin black, other than in an aerosol

thanks adam

A decent compressor will set you back a fair whack. But gravity fed is best gun wise. Make sure you put an water filter on the gun.

CLIO PH1 172
sorry you must have miss read or i didnt make it clear i already have an industrial compressor, good clean dry air is not a problem.

just cant seem to find were to buy satin black paint from? and what primer to use if any?

182, 6r GTi
think most of the car is in primer interiour wise anyway so you shoulnt have to use any, degrease the whole lot and use scotchbrite on it clean again then paint. as for getting the paint do you not have a local suppier that you can buy tins of paint from?

CLIO PH1 172
not sure really tbh never had to but paint in tins lol?

iv found this on egay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320668262730?var=510027682025&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_734wt_905

s
eems reasonable as i would pay more than that for cans, plus it will give a much better finish than using aerosol

and this seems pretty good as well...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPRAYGUN-1-7-NOZZLE-PAINT-2k-FULL-SIZE-WATER-BASED-/290495813622?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item43a2e657f6#ht_1009wt_1037

inferno 182.
oh boy!!!!
grey scotch it off and degease then tack rag and apply davids no2 plastic adhesive.
let that dry and spray with a citroen or renault bumper colour which has matting agent i it!
personally just get a good semi matt or matt aresol for the same affect!!!

With satin you wont be able to tell the difference between aerosols or out of a gun, Your saving yourself time and money too. Plenty of prep and aerosols will look fine.

CLIO PH1 172
oh boy!!!!
grey scotch it off and degease then tack rag and apply davids no2 plastic adhesive.
let that dry and spray with a citroen or renault bumper colour which has matting agent i it!
personally just get a good semi matt or matt aresol for the same affect!!!

thanks for the advise so your saying dont bother with a gun? i want it to last i dont want it to start flaking off and fading ......

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
To be honest mate just buy a basecoat black and don't lacquer it.

There's not really such a thing as satin paint. You can get matting agent but really any black basecoat paint will do fine. Not solid colour.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
If you don't want it to flake it's all in the prep mate. Everything needs well keyed.

I suggest a red/purple scotchbrite pad make sure there is no shiny paint left and it'll be reet. Wipe down really well before painting.

CLIO PH1 172
ahh ok so the spray shop would just use a base coat and add a matting agent? im guessing this is why i cant find anywere that sells satin paint :eek:

CLIO PH1 172
red purple grey scotch pads????? whats the difference ?

worth buying a small DA for my air compressor?

Different colour scotch pads are for how abrasive they are.

Green is lightest for doing dishes etc. Purple and brown are pretty abrasive not sure which is the most abrasive though.

Also matt black is better :)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
You shouldn't really need a da mate. The last thing you want to do is go back to bare metal as you then need to primer the area.

Purple one is the coarse one mate. I think they call them Red but they're Purple. Once you give it a rub down with that the paint is good for painting. It's "keyed".

Just ask the spray shop to mix you half a litre of some basecoat black or matt black. Just explain you don't want it shiny.

Solid colour blacks will all be shiny as they are a one stage. Basecoat black looks like matt black until you put lacquer on the car.

inferno 182.
ok! one more time!
grey scotch your parts untill fully matt! clean with a pre clean wipe then apply plastic primer(davids no2 aresoel will do)then apply your basecoat back! this is pourous and when dirty will be hard to clean so you then paint over with a matt or semi matt lacquer which you can buy from a paint supplier!(in a aresole) make sure you lacquer as soon as the basecoat is dry as if you leave it too long the lacquer wont stick to the basecoat and will flake!!!

CLIO PH1 172
ok thanks buddy so basicly i should stop looking at buying a paint gun lol !

oh and what is davids no2 aerosol? never heard of it?

CLIO PH1 172
mate im sorry but i dont think you get it lol im not spraying plastic im spraying the metal, my car is stripped out lol

IMG_8803.jpg

If your using basecoat you will still need a gun!! I think it would be much safer for you to buy satin black aerosols and do it that way, No offence but if you know very little about using basecoat / spray gun etc it'll prob end up looking worse than you used aerosols! Jeez..

Ph1 ITB'd 172
I use a chap in Salford who is very good, he's called Brendan, I will dig up his contact details later. They will deliver nationwide as well, he was very helpful when I first started out, and happy to offer lots of advice.

Quite interested in this guys details please Pete if you will, I buy quite a bit of paint but always have to pay loads of postage as the guy i use is in bedford. I travel to Salford quite a lot so could save some money

cheers

cordoba,panda 100 hp
ok! im a painter and if you insist on doing it yourself then here goes....
if your painting with a gun there are 2 ways of doing it, both start with grey scotching the surfaces off until it all has a good key (all matted off,no shiny bits), then blow it out with the airline and degrease and blow again, ensure the degreaser is dry'd off before tacking the surfaces to get rid of any bits, ( blow and tack as many times as you feel nesacery as this will ensure a nice clean job), make sure youve masked everywhere else off, inc poly sheeting the outside of the car off so you dont get any over spray on anywhere you would want it. 1st way is to do in basecoat and laquer, black base then go over with a matt laquer, make sure your base is dry between coats and make sure you have a good aplication/covering before laquering. when doing the matt laquer put your first coat on and leave to flash off until it goes tacky before appling your second/finish coat.
2nd way is to get solid black and a matting agent adative, put a first coat on ensuring you get good coverage, leave to flash off and go tacky before applying you 2nd/final/finish coat.
with both methods dont exceed 2 coats of either the laquer or solid as with matting agents the more coats you apply the more gloss you will get as it adds depth to the paint which gives a gloss so 2coats is more than enough and should give a nice sattin/matt look.

your other option is to use black areosols, cheaper and easyer, if you get a good enough key to the surface then there should be no reason why it shouldnt last and be durable, it wont be as good as with a gun but will save time and money and as i say be alot easyer for you if your not use to the process.
if you get stuck with anything please feel free to pm me and i will help in anyway i possibly can.

also for your products, try googling local auto factors, most will deal to the public and will also be able to help with any paint questions you may have, there are places like fleet factors, carlac, morrellys, brown brothers to name a few, hope this has helped