ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spraying/Sanding 'Clio' Badge

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
I've read through alot of threads about spraying the diamonds/bullets/badges,
so i've got an idea about how it's done, even though i've never done anything like this before,
but the best way to learn anything is by doing.

I've just removed the 'Clio' badge off the boot and i've got all the relevant supplies from Halfords,
(wet & dry/primer/paint/lacquer) but none of the threads really say how I go about sanding the thing,
they just say 'you sand it'.

I've got a pack of assorted wet & dry paper (240/600/800/1200)
but I don't know which one to use seeing as it's plastic, or if it should be wet or dry.

Any help would be cool. :cool:

WRX
Recently done mine, you only need to sand it a little to give the primer something to grab onto.
Will stand corrected by the experts but the following gave me good enough results. Initially wet 240 to rub the shine down. 600 to smooth a bit then couple coats of primer. Stick in oven on very low about 50 for half an hour whilst the wife's out. Colour 3 coats repeat oven process, 1200 on that, then few coats of lacquer in between meals lol.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Nice one, do I have to sand down every coat of spray?
As in spray primer then rub down, second primer coat then rub down, colour then rub, second colour etc?

Megane GT
I have done on spray work on mine, but only sand a little. Just a quick one, how do the diamonds come off?

WRX
I have done on spray work on mine, but only sand a little. Just a quick one, how do the diamonds come off?
63656ff2.jpg
The front can be pulled/prised off photo shows plug positions. I covered a small screwdriver with a rag and carefully prised it off.
The back needs to be accessed from inside the boot and whole boot release section undone. I think it's 3 screws but haven't done it yet. Search on here for more info.

Megane GT
The front can be pulled/prised off photo shows plug positions. I covered a small screwdriver with a rag and carefully prised it off.
The back needs to be accessed from inside the boot and whole boot release section undone. I think it's 3 screws but haven't done it yet. Search on here for more info.

Thank you! Will give it a go next week some time :)

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Right I just sprayed the first coat of lacquer and it's basically dissolved the paint off in places,
I can see the primer coat around the edges.

I mean WTF?

After it's dry i'll have to strip it start again for the 3rd time. :mad:

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
what lacquer you using? and i know it might sound daft but how much you spraying on? heavy coats of lacquer will desolve the paint and make it run.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
what lacquer you using? and i know it might sound daft but how much you spraying on? heavy coats of lacquer will desolve the paint and make it run.

Well that'll be the problem then, rattle cans are f*cking impossible to use without accidentally blasting the b*stard.

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
I always find that lacquer is the most difficult stage. You just have to be gentle and not spray to much, so it dosent run etc.

Just take your time and you'll get there. :)

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
not always the case, if its halfrauds lacquer then chuck it and get some decent lacquer. i detest that crap as i fooked up my engine cover applying halford lacquer :(

i found out that when i sprayed my badges it was more better finish with one lightish coat of lacquer and then wait 20mins before hitting it with another coat.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
It's got to the point where I don't think it's worth the effort,
I mean it's only a 'Clio' badge, after i've re-sprayed it I think i'll just leave it at that and not bother lacquering it.

I'm not spending another week pissing about just to have it ruined at the end.

In future what lacquer should I use then instead of Halfords?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I've done my bullets with the high temp stove black paint I had left over from the inlets. Comes up a Matt black rather than gloss. Bit rough arse but looks fine unless you look right up close. No sanding, just cleaned and sprayed a couple of thin coats.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
cant find the thread on about lacquers but i just asked my dad to take it work, and get one of the lads in the aircraft spray booth to lacquer it for me.

halfrauds stuff just seems to take a day n age to set and its crap for small things.

i would suggest getting some lacquer made up into a spray can when you next deside to do a painting job

WRX
Brown diamonds?
I got wound up the first time, that's why I mentioned patience. My lacquer ran a bit, so just sprayed it heavily until it made the ran part spill over the side pmsl.