ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spring like noise on full lock.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I've noticed a new noise from my passenger side strut. On full lock, moving forward or in reverse if the suspension is compressed (so pulling up a steep drive etc) it makes a creaking noise as if the spring is moving in it's seat. Then again when you straight out the steering.

I can't see how the springs could have moved as I used compressors to put them back on and I've had them on the car for about a month now.

That said I'm wondering whether it could be something else..? Any ideas?

182FF with cup packs
I get this occasionally on my 182. I'm convinced its due to suspension geometry and tyre tread depth. It only occurs when my front tyres are near to needing replacing when the tread is low.

aldo_87

ClioSport Club Member
  Campus 1*2
mine makes this noise now and again, only on full lock. If it starts to make it when im driving, I'll start to worry about it.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
is this with eibach springs? I've seen this a couple of times recently where they move just a little in their seats

Clio 17
I had a similar problem to this and I changed the steering rack bushes, the rack was moving just enough to catch on the exhaust manifold heat shield. It was this that caused the clicking. If you can get someone to sit in the car and waggle the steering wheel while you look down the back of the engine at the rack.

Clio, Rover 25
What size are your wheels? If you have 17's these are more than likely rubbing inside your arch on full lock

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
bit of grease on the point where the spring touches the shock/spring cup and the noise will be gone.....until the grease washes/rubs away

BMW M4; S1000 RR
It's definitely suspension related, yes they're Eibach Pro's. Took the top bit of the top mount off and...

IMG_0494.jpg
IMG_0495.jpg

I'm no expert but I don't think they should look like that after 1000 miles. After refitting them I haven't been able to repeat the noise, however I haven't replaced anything so we shall see...

Lionel Richie
easy peasy

you have the new model top mounts, and you haven't bought the moddified spacer (it doesn't come with the new moddified top mounts - stupid renault)

those top caps are too tight against the body as a result

bingo bango

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I do have the additional washer/nut type thing though mate (if you mean the one you buy from Renault). The driver's side is fine also.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Mine did exactly the same and it was top mounts. The bearing had completely collapsed! Noticed a screeching noise when driving and turning at the same time too.