ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stalling 172 Engine

My 172 Cup was left standing in a garage for a few days while I was away on business, and when I came to drive it yesterday, the engine kept stalling.

When the engine revs were left to drop to idle (ie. Dipping the clutch to come to a standstill) they would momentarily drop to 0 and the engine cuts out. It feels as though the throttle body valve is closing momentarily, causing the engine to cut out.

I have checked the throttle body and it is relatively clean (was only cleaned a few months ago). Does anyone have any other suggestions for what it may be? Have done a search and can find nothing conclusive on here.

Before leaving it standing it was fine, so am a bit baffled as to why it has suddenly started doing this. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Phase 2 172 Cup
needs a new throttle body, its the idle control valve inside the black box attched to the TB.

mine did exactly the same thing

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Just a thought before you pay out - check the connections of the TB, mine did this and it turned out the plug had worked loose so wasn't connected properly!

Worth a shot before paying out

Yep, new (well second hand) throttle body sorted it out.

Engine no longer cuts out at idle, and the idle is far more settled.

Thanks to those who suggested the throttle body!