ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Standard 182 brakes- are they any good?

I am in the market for a 182 for road use and possibly some track work. My question is are the standard brakes any good or are they a known weak point of the car?

I have been reading through this section and most owners seem happy with a disc and pad upgrade- is this ok on track too?

Do many owners upgrade to 4 pots? If some members have gone down this route I take it that braking performance is much improved but is it too much- are there locking up issues? I'd imagine on a cup wth no abs (I am presuming cups don't have abs so may be looking stupid here..) and 4 pots would require a carefull foot but how do cars with abs cope? Does the abs get confused with the extra braking power available?

Thanks

Lionel Richie
172 cups don't have ABS, all other variants of the 172/182 have ABS

from memory the 172 was tested years ago when it first came out and the brakes were tested/timed by autocar against ferrai, lambo, porsche etc etc and came 2 or 3rd with a 100-0 time of something bonkers like 4seconds (i forget the exact figures so maybe wrong)

stock calipers are fine, even on track

4pots aren't needed but they are cool

a thirsty one
some better pads and a fluid refresh if your doing track days, oe are fine for a bit but dont last long on track without fade its not what the std pad compound was designed for.

some decent pads and fluid if your going on track, sorted.