ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Standard 182 vs 182 with Cup packs?

Hi there,

I am looking to buy a low mileage 182 and am interested to know how much real world difference there is between the 182 and the 182 with cup packs?

I am wondering if there is a large noticeable difference, and if fitting a set of uprated springs to a standard 182 will close the handling gap between the two?

I realise there are small cosmetic differences, but wondered if you can really notice the improved Cup suspension and if there is a big difference?

Cheers,

Mart.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
If you're ever planning coilovers, there are more options for a standard 182.

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
Suspension is harder, the hubs are different.

I would not buy a uncupped car, for a few reason.

1, the price differance now, theres no need to go for the basic.
2, they look naff
3, which is a odd one to explain, but to me, if some one has gone to the dealers to buy the car new and has not paid the extra for a cupped car, they seem like the type not interested in cars ect, so other things such as repairs may have been done cheap aswell. (i know that is odd but thats my view)

If i was to buy a uncupped 182 id just save the cash and buy a later 172.

Mileage is nothing aslong as its been looked after and serviced correctly, belts done ect.

+ as most believe they get quicker with miles (which im starting to believe)

182 ff
Suspension is harder, the hubs are different.

I would not buy a uncupped car, for a few reason.

1, the price differance now, theres no need to go for the basic.
2, they look naff
3, which is a odd one to explain, but to me, if some one has gone to the dealers to buy the car new and has not paid the extra for a cupped car, they seem like the type not interested in cars ect, so other things such as repairs may have been done cheap aswell. (i know that is odd but thats my view)

If i was to buy a uncupped 182 id just save the cash and buy a later 172.

Mileage is nothing aslong as its been looked after and serviced correctly, belts done ect.

+ as most believe they get quicker with miles (which im starting to believe)

2 and 3 are bullshit mate

Titanium 182
I bought an uncupped 182. I now have a splitter and cup spoiler on it
Like someone said, if I want coilovers its cheaper for me

Silver 182 wheels look better on a cilver 182 as well :approve:

Cheers guys! :)

So the general opinion is that u won't notice the difference? I was gonna go for lowering springs anyway so that'll cancel out the cup suspension change anyway right?

Which springs do u guys recommend?

Mart.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Cheers guys! :)

So the general opinion is that u won't notice the difference? I was gonna go for lowering springs anyway so that'll cancel out the cup suspension change anyway right?

Which springs do u guys recommend?

Mart.

There are more changes than just being lower on the suspension front.

tiTTy & SV650
Not sure I understand? There are more coilovers available for none cup cars. Where does camber enter the equation??

182s have wider track than 172s so although the 182 noncup has the lighter 172 hubs it also has a wider track so if you use 172 suspension on it the camber will be out.

Most dealers advertise 172 suspension as being suitable for non cup 182's but IMO its only suitable if it has camber correction

Tav

Clio 197
you wont see the difference unless u get it on a track and to be honest how many have been on the track with there cars etc

You'd quite easily feel the difference on the open road, might not be much change in w. london.

Suspension is suitably different on the Cup to justify the extra pennies when they were new. If you are going to buy coilovers I think I'd get a non-cup as it's just a waste otherwise.

Front splitter and spoiler look miles better. Renault knew what they were doing, when buying new if you wanted the proper experience/looks you had to fork out extra.

tiTTy & SV650
I had a non cup 182 for 40,000 miles from new and didn't once wish I had cup suspension (except for all the burst shocks!) and didn't have much trouble thrashing it

Dodgy one
I'd only buy a cup packed or cup version, Easier to sell on ;)

You'l see prob 70% of the people on here would rather have one over non cup packed

ITB'd MK1
Most dealers advertise 172 suspension as being suitable for non cup 182's but IMO its only suitable if it has camber correction

why would you bother with upgrading suspension, and not having camber adjustment? Camber changes with adjusting the ride height, adjustment is imperative

My personal opinion is, if you're planning to mod the car, a few optional extras are over-ridden. There's so little difference anyway in real terms

tiTTy & SV650
why would you bother with upgrading suspension, and not having camber adjustment? Camber changes with adjusting the ride height, adjustment is imperative

My personal opinion is, if you're planning to mod the car, a few optional extras are over-ridden. There's so little difference anyway in real terms

some shocks don't incorporate it though and you need to use camber bolts. It's a must if fitting 172 suspension on a non cup 182.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Personally I got a Cup'd one. Ascetically it's more pleasing and I like to keep it standard and didn't want to mess around with aftermarket stuff.

Doubt there would be much if anything in a head-to-head though.

RS Twingo 133
I wouldn't even look at a non-cupped one when buying.

I think they have to be harder to sell. If there are 2 cars for the same money but one is cupped, you're gonna have that one. I'd even have 20% more miles on the clock and get the cupped version. The non-cup wheels and spoiler look awful! Also if it is missing the fron tsplitter it may as well not have a front bumper as far as I'm concerned! ;)

Oh and Silver wheels on a silver car look like your nan specced it!

Mini Cooper S sport
Oh Ali, you'll have to do better than that.

Standard 182 vs 182 with Cup packs. They are both available in the full range of colours..

I do know that lol! :p

I MEANT the colour of the wheels; if they're silver it's obvious it's non-cupped.

ITB'd MK1
some shocks don't incorporate it though and you need to use camber bolts. It's a must if fitting 172 suspension on a non cup 182.

That's down to buying the wrong shocks IMO. If they dont have camber adjustment, they should be cheap enough that you can buy camber bolts. Any thing I'd spec, comes with camber adjust as standard

Tav

Clio 197
I had a non cup 182 for 40,000 miles from new and didn't once wish I had cup suspension (except for all the burst shocks!) and didn't have much trouble thrashing it

But did you ever drive a 182 with the Cup suspension?

tiTTy & SV650
Nope but I'd been a passenger in a few and had no problems keeping in front of them on various meets.

I wouldn't buy one without, it was just circumstance that led to me getting it cause Arnold Clark fcuked up but I didn't regret it, I would have been waiting 3 -4 months to get one with cup packs at the price I paid.

Have you driven one without cup suspension?

My 182 defo handled and felt better than my 172

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I've driven them both, 99% of people on here wouldnt know the difference tbh, all placebo imho.

If you gonna go down the carbon splitter/turinis/coilovers route, it doesnt matter which one you buy anyway. I'd probably have a normal one as they're cheaper - id change most of it anyway ;)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
funny enough all the low millage 182's on PH and autotrader (ie under 15k miles) are non cup pack cars, i didnt understand it? however the only one thing that would put me off owning one would be the resale, even if a non cupped 182 handled like a mk2 172 (and rory has already said his felt better than one) then its still a pretty awesome handling car!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I just think the cup packed ones look better.The anthracite wheels just suit the cars colours better.
Performance wise youll never notice the difference...