ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Standard Bhp vs Modded Bhp

Veilsided MR2 Rev3 Turbo

Been wondering about this for a while. If i have a standard car of lets say 120bhp and i mod it up to 160bhp, will it be faster than a car that has 160bhp standard? The mod would not include a turbo, just stuff like cams, ecu and exhaust? Surely the modded 160bhp will be faster? Or is it?

BMW 120i Sport

Depends on the weight of each car for a start.

I would imagine the performance of two cars with the same weight and power would be quite similar? Gearing/tyres etc would make a difference too.

Veilsided MR2 Rev3 Turbo

Ok. A car thats identical. In every way. Just one starts at 120bhp and the other at 160bhp.

Veilsided MR2 Rev3 Turbo

Just using it as an example. Not talking about doing it, just wondering if a modded 160bhp (for example) would be faster than a standard, from the manufacturer 160 bhp.

Mondeo STTDCI

Why would it if they both have 160bhp. Doesnt matter how they got that power. they both have the same power.

Thats when things like torque, power bands and weights etc come into play.

LY 200

160bhp (standard) v 160 (modded) would surely be the same unless you started making the modded one lighter than the other!!!

Veilsided MR2 Rev3 Turbo

Ok. Sorry dont think im quiet getting my point across. 160bhp is just a random figure. What im tryimg to say is if 2 identical cars, with everything the same except that one started with 120bhp then got modded up to 160bhp raced the other car that started with 160bhp standard, which would win? Would the mods on the car mean the engine would be faster? even though they were the same bhp. Surely the mods would improve the running of the car when compared to the standard one so it would be faster?

assuming the weight, drivetrain and power/torque figures for both cars are the same then it wont make a toss of differene whether one was fettled to produce the power and torque figure or was like it out of the box. Im struggling to understand the point of this question personally.

Veilsided MR2 Rev3 Turbo

Lol. Was just wondering actually. No actual point. Why does there need to be? But what i was thinking was that if the modded 160bhp engine had better power distribution through the ecu remap, and could breath better due to a new full exhaust system then it would be faster.

lol as loony says theyd be the same altho if the power/torque was delivered at different points you might see a very slight difference.

Veilsided MR2 Rev3 Turbo

Thank you Pete! lol. Thats all i wanted. lol. Just thinking about it at work today, and never going to get to sleep, as ill be thinking about it. lol.

Quote: Originally posted by mcoppen on 02 February 2005
Lol. Was just wondering actually. No actual point. Why does there need to be? But what i was thinking was that if the modded 160bhp engine had better power distribution through the ecu remap, and could breath better due to a new full exhaust system then it would be faster.

if you compare two cars that are identical in terms of their torque/bhp figures but one is standard and the other is a lower output but tuned to match the only diffence you may notice is if they produce their peak power/torque output at a different point in the rev range or if one is peaky with its delivery whilst the other is more linear. All alot of ifs and buts for what would essentailly add up to fook all diffence lol.

Veilsided MR2 Rev3 Turbo

Lol. Cheers Loony. What 8hrs of working in a supermarket does to you. Brain just gets full of random discussions, sure its just self defense to stop itself from dieing or bordem!!! lol.

Veilsided MR2 Rev3 Turbo

Lol. I would but every time they come in im to busy chasing them out the door, as they try to conceal 28inch tvs under their burberry jackets. Lol.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

and if each car was identicle in every way, it would then come down to the driver skill just to chuck anouther problem in :D

Clio 1.4, SV650S

its likie.... if you are accelerating and hit a wall at 30mph or if you are braking and hit the wall at 30mph.

the result is the same.

if the car has the same gears, same torqe characteristic, same weight and same tyres, same driver it will perform exactly the same

donest matter how the power got there, just that it IS there. and physics do the rest!

I have your answer i think, with your identical figures, how strange is that??

Take the MG ZR120 and MGZR 160, both 1.8 litre engines, apart from the 160 has the vvc mechanism.

I know a guy that has modded his ZR120 upto 160bhp, with the inclusion of cams/exhaust/induction/Polishing+Porting/chip.

The way the mods have got him this 160bhp makes it far more usable than the standard ZR160 and hence in a drag race the modded 1 is a fair bit faster as has been proven. The mods hes done has gave him quite a bit more torque hence the reason he pulls ahead.