ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Standard Evo 6 - Just how quick

Clio 182, OctaviaVRS

Last night, around 9:00 i was driving home and there was a blue Evo 6, Reg - T**0 EVO very nice car, standard looking but very sweet.

Anyway, i ended up at the lights along side him, sh*tting myself as i thought he was going to embarrass me. The lights went green, we both eased away gently in first - he was alone but i had the missus with me. I think he was waiting for me to boot it so he could laugh at me, so as i changed into second - Bang, round to 20psi and i was off - at the same time he booted it and without trying to repeat that "how to beat an evo in a 1.2" i actually stayed just ahead til about 55 and he gained slightly, then we were along side until around 75 then had to brake for a roundabout - his jaw was dropped and he stuck his thumb up to me, - i think i definitely surprised him!!!

172 Cup, V6 255, Williams

Well in a 210bhp tin box, I should hope that you could give him a run for his money.

Why was it on ebay Nick?

Paul

Clio 182, OctaviaVRS

Well i was considering selling it as the g/friend was giving me such a hard time - but shes warmed to it a bit now so i think shes ok!

Well I managed to p1ss off a Porsche Boxter driver last night. He pulled up behind me real quick on a dual carriage way as I was slowing down to a round about. Went around the round about at normal speed with him right up my chuff and floored in in 2nd on the exit and managed to pull a few car lengths away from him but had to slow down 1/2 mile further down due to traffic. Pulled off to a single carriage way and stuck to the speed limit of 30mph. He was weaving in and out all over the place trying to find a spot to overtake. This continued for a mile before he had to pull off in to someones driveway heavily frustrated that he couldnt overtake.

Clio 182, OctaviaVRS

I had a Boxster S try it on coming to work a few weeks ago - i let him get along side me, glanced over and turned up the boost and floored it - he was well shocked - i love having adjustable boost!!!

Clio 182, OctaviaVRS

No he lives in Newbury, T100 EVO - Dark blue colour - ive seen it around quite a lot!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Let me just give you some figures...

Mitsubishi Lancer EvoVI GSR:

Power - 276bhp
0-30 - 1.8secs
0-60 - 4.4secs
0-100 - 11.2secs
1/4 Mile - 13.3secs @ 108mph

Now, I have a modded R5 GTT and they are quick, very quick, but the Evo is in a different league.

My mate used to have an EvoVI too, Ive driven it a couple of times and I can tell you that that one you "played" with was not trying...

Dont mean to p!ss on your bonfire, but when youve actually been in one thats driven properly, you will be amazed!

I remember the first time I went out in it and I was just amazed.

CTR EK9 turbo

If hed done a launch youd be toast, but he didnt and you both booted it and you were level acceleration. Now, an evo VI has 276+bhp and weighs quite a lot. His R5 has 210 bhp and weighs nothing at all, probably loads of bhp per tonne. I wouldnt underestimate those R5s once modded. Even in standard form they are pretty quick. If theyd both have gone hell for leather off the lights, the EVO would be so very far away. Its all to do with bhp/tonne. Your 106 gti was modded wasnt it? and you said it kept up with a 172, probably better handling etc, but it also weighs less and maybe had similar bhp/tonne. Caterhams with 230 bhp (R500) can do 0-60 in 3.5 secs because they weigh nothing and that would toast an evo that has far more bhp.

Nick - how does it handle? do you get lots of understeer when accelerating around bends?

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Aye, my 106 GTi had 141bhp, in a car weighing 960kg, making 147bhp/tonne.

A Clio 172 mk1 is around 160bhp/tonne I believe, so that is why there was not the difference there should have been.

With regards to the modded R5s, I definately do not underestimate one as I am driving one at the moment (not literally) and have another sat in a garage...

My mate actually flogged that Evo to get a bike powered Westfield for just that reason. The Evo had about 350bhp at its peak, but he drove an 1100cc Honda Blackbird powered Westfield and said it made the Evo feel slow.

So, it went and guess what he has now?!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Actually, here are a few pics...

The Evo -

The replacement -

My old 106 -

And the "current" car -

p.s. I am the one sat in the passenger seat of the Westfield!

Used to think the EVO VI was quick - have driven a Tommi Makkinen a few times until I had a play in the bosses TVR Tuscan S - even whilst it is being run in it is awesome. Going in for a service tommorrow the an extra 4000 RPM to play with. At the moment it tops out around about 120mph at 4500 rpm so 200+ should be achievable on the airport runway

He is also talking to the dealer about ordering a Tuscan R since there is a 6-9 month wait for delivery...

I am still trying to decide between a second hand 4.5L TVR Cerrbera of an new EVO VII RS as a replacement for me 172 sometime next year - it will probably be an EVO VIII by then

PBS, i think that the EVO VII is the last one that they are going to do. And IMHO i think that the Evo VI is the looker of the family.

Talking about racing faster cars, my friend and i were coming down the A3 a few weeks back in his GTI-R when a Black Lamborghini Diabalo pulled in front of us. It slowed down to let the traffic in front move further away then the boy planted it foot to the floor! We might has well have been in a 998cc fiesta for all it was worth....now i know what £170K worth of car is all about. Time to rob a bank methinks!!!

Nahhh, the evo8 is going to be the last one produced, then Mitsubishi may (hint at the may bit ) put the engine into something else
Best to talk to the guys on lancerregister.com for more info

Tony

Clio 182, OctaviaVRS

I agree if we were at a standing start he would have killed me, but the fact that we were already rolling and there wasnt much danger of me lighting the tyres up - took away a lot of the advantage the Evo 6 has, but it was just funny seeing his gob smacked face looking down at my ickle 1990 renault 5, it was worth a few laughs that night anyway, my g/f was shocked as shes Australian and the Evos are a big thing over there!

Well i think that the R5 would keep up with the sort of power it has, however, only in a straight line. A standing start or a few nice bends and goodbye, you have to drive the evo to understand the sheer grip and ability it has

Had mine a month now and in all that time i havent found anything willing to take me on, most people sh*t themselves and pull over

Cigar for Teady! Was a Bentley Brooklands. The daft old duffer floored it too. Bet hes used to beating pesky little cars like mine.. snigger snigger.

Clio 197

That 0-60=0 time is pretty close. Less than 5 seconds to 60 and then the anchors! The car is very impressive in a bunch of other ways as well. It makes an average driver a hero with its brainy diffs etc. A larger petrol tank and a sixth gear would be nice though...

Std EVO 6s arent as quick as the 0-100 in 11.2 time posted above.

That time was recorded by Autocar on a Ralliart special job with tweaked boost and full HKS zaust system.

Std Evo 6 is more like 13secs (EVO Mag) to the ton which is why when you jump from one into the likes of a Tuscan the Tuscan feels much quicker.

However as everyone knows it is relatively easy to modify an EVO to get much better performance.

Clio 182, OctaviaVRS

Well if it will do a 1/4 mile in 13, im not surprised it was fairly close between us up to around 75 - i mean, i expect my car to do 1/4s in the late 13s - there abouts anyway.........

Hey Nick G 123, Have you a picture of your R5 that you can post here??

Would love to see what it looks like.

CHeers.

theres some strange claims out there - i read in several places that the evo6 was capable of a 0-60 sprint of 5.4secs. Same as a GTiR. is this true or not?

Thats what the stats say - dont forget, the GTiR is smaller, 250 odd bhp, 2ltr 16v turbo, and 4 wheel drive.
Thats just the 0-60 times though, i reckon the evo would be faster on a track...
Thats why i want a GTiR, I love em! In the last 2/3 months I have only seen one on the road and that was this morning. I just hope theres some good ones left when it comes time for me to buy one!

The GTiR is 220bhp for the Sunny, the Pulsar is 228bhp (down to the type of fuel used so both actually the same at 220bhp)

Tony

Oh BTW, if you start running GTiRs above 1bar of pressure, be sure to have lots of cash saved up for a new engine they can run safely upto about 300bhp and after that they need big work on em
(and better brakes, bigger wheels, better clutch etc )

As for the evo6 (or 6.5 TME) 0-60 in 4.8, 0-100 in 13.5 courtesy of EVO mag

Tony