ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Starter Motor exciter cable metal prong thing...

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
So, for a long time now I've been bodging my starter motor, bending the small piece of metal the exciter cable slips on to, because the connection would always come lose.

Today it finally gave up, and the metal prong bit has snapped off the starter motor.

Can this be fixed with a weld or will I need a new starter motor?

Thanks.

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
Chuck another starter on and forget about it, bodges always come back to bite you at the least convenient times.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Chuck another starter on and forget about it, bodges always come back to bite you at the least convenient times.
I just really really don't want to have to change the starter, but I guess the current one is going to have to come out anyway.

I'm probably gonna get a garage to do it because I cannot be arsed, but if I find the motivation, is there a best way to do it, all the posts on here can't come to an agreement on whether to go through the top, bottom or drivers side wheel arch, and whether you need to remove the exhaust or the exhaust manifold...

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
@Jack!
I find the easiest way is unbolt the upper inlet manifold, unbolt the exhaust manifold and just move it away from the head a couple of inches,
then remove the power leads from the battery and starter and finally the 3 x 13mm bolts that hold it to the gearbox bell housing and it can be dropped out from underneath. Take your time and you'll be fine:up:.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
@Jack!
I find the easiest way is unbolt the upper inlet manifold, unbolt the exhaust manifold and just move it away from the head a couple of inches,
then remove the power leads from the battery and starter and finally the 3 x 13mm bolts that hold it to the gearbox bell housing and it can be dropped out from underneath. Take your time and you'll be fine:up:.

I just had a crack, I took the plenum off and then the exhaust manifold, but I can't get it away from the head far enough, I can't even get it all the way off the bolts.

I was able to inspect the clip on the exciter cable, it has the bit of metal stuck in it, I'd like to just attach that back to wherever it has snapped off from, but I can't get a good view of the starter.