ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stealth to not stealth Exhaust.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
At the moment I have the Ktec Stealth system on my cup and as you all know you get that booming drone on motorways etc doing about 80 and this is caused by the sound bouncing back up under the car.
So im thinking of cutting the rear bumper to fit an exhaust trim and then cutting off the tailpipe from the stealth to fit/weld a normal tailpipe,ie 2.5inch rounded style tip,so my question is has anyone done this before? and did it actually stop the boom/drone exhaust??

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Not really help to your question, but thought about a ktec recessed backbox? Looks oem-ish and sounds really good, minimal drone.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Sorry, bit misleading. I meant it doesnt look too aftermarket, and the recess makes it look like it's meant to be there. Ktec super sport I think it's called.

IMG_6083.JPG

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry, bit misleading. I meant it doesnt look too aftermarket, and the recess makes it look like it's meant to be there. Ktec super sport I think it's called.

Oh ok mate.i see you mean now.Yeah that does look good,but i might try @bloke idea and just cut the tailpipe a bit more so it aims more out of the back and see how that is as i would ideally like to keep it looking stealth.

dan's cast offs.
did it on the wife's car, was awful with just back box, chucked a middle box in and was loads quieter. with the tail chopped it's a lot quieter in the car, above about 85mph it's quiet to say the least!!

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
did it on the wife's car, was awful with just back box, chucked a middle box in and was loads quieter. with the tail chopped it's a lot quieter in the car, above about 85mph it's quiet to say the least!!
Sounds good mate,ive got the quieter system so already have the centre box,but will defo cut the rear tailpipe to 45 degrees and maybe take 1cm off the length :up:

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Theres a BTB stealth on mine, and dont really get too much of a droning. Yet to get under and give it a good check over, but think (What i though was a mid res) theres just a Cat converter (newish) at the base of the downpipe from the manifold (4 TO 1) and straight through to the back box

My point being- i dont get too much of a drone, and trust me, if i did i would be sticking a mid res in
Why dont you stick a BTB in, unless I am missing something. Want it reasonably quiet for the track

Or maybe a more efficient backbox

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
I don't really want to spend any money as i like the exhaust and theses nothing wrong with it apart from the motorway drone noise at 80,but im going to cut the tailpipe at an angle so its not directed at the floor as this is way it drones because the sound bounces back up under the car rather than away.

Its a daily and not tracked mate & driving upto Scotland in march so want it done for then.

@chris blue

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
^ ^ ^

Sounds woth a try if its just the drone u r after. For me, i like it pointing to the ground as reckon that makes it less noisy for track running noise. Is there a packing that can be added to the backbox... thought i read up a while back saying there was.

I put a Bastuck Turboback on my last DS3, no mid res, and WOW was that noisy about 70mph accelerating up in the middle lane of a motorway overtaking lorries

So bad i had a mid res put in..... must be getting old LOL

dan's cast offs.
Theres a BTB stealth on mine, and dont really get too much of a droning. Yet to get under and give it a good check over, but think (What i though was a mid res) theres just a Cat converter (newish) at the base of the downpipe from the manifold (4 TO 1) and straight through to the back box

My point being- i dont get too much of a drone, and trust me, if i did i would be sticking a mid res in
Why dont you stick a BTB in, unless I am missing something. Want it reasonably quiet for the track

Or maybe a more efficient backbox

in all fairness the btb by far a better exhaust then the ktec. if anything the btb 172 exhaust is on the quiet side.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
in all fairness the btb by far a better exhaust then the ktec. if anything the btb 172 exhaust is on the quiet side.
Yes- was quite pleased after I bought the car, and did a bit of research.
Hope you get yours sorted- nothing worse than a noisy exhaust