ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering play

Test drove a Williams today with terrible play in the steering, i.e. when turning the steering wheel from the 12 oclock position to 11 oclock position, nothing happens until the wheel is turned further, most noticable on motorways. Any idea what this may be, the car has just passed its M.O.T., having covered 80,000 miles with full dealer history.

Mine did that, I thought it was the rack or the track rods but it turnd out to be the universal joint in the collum.

my 16v did this the whole time i owned it! i got used to it after a while and never bothered to have it seen to...i sold the car to some idiot who was friends with a guy i knew... he totaly thrashed the balls out of it and the universal joint failed when he was driving it..thankfully he was going slow enuff at the time to stop!

i would recomend getting it seen to ASAP!!!

Took the steering column off and the plays in the joint between the U. J and the column, does this meen it needs a complete new column with the U. J attached. Hope this makes sence , Thanks.