ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering rack knocking noise...Yet another thread

Clio Sport 2000 PH2
Hi,

I have stripped the entire front axle on my 172 ph2 -02 and the only thing remaining is the steering rack. There is some play in the steering rack or column. If I wiggle the steering wheel from side to side you can hear a feint knock, from what appears to originate from the steering rack.

I tried to adjust the play in the steering rack by tightening the adjuster screw (see attached photo) in small increments until the steering wheel turned too heavily. Yet the knocking sound was the same. The rack bushings are new powerflex ones.

So, any ideas what could cause this knocking sound that is not affected by the adjuster screw?

Cheers

ed6d4fcd6c7aefcedb65b8be7a5543d3.jpg

RB Clio 182
The ones that bolt the rack to the car underneath, it might not be what you are experiencing but when mine were nipped up it stoppped the knocking when turning the wheel.