ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering wheel jammed, STOP & Battery light on

PH2 172
Just been out to put my car on the drive, started up fine, went to reverse and the steering wheel wont turn at all! feels asif the steering lock is still on. The STOP and battery warning light is on too.

Any idea what this could be? any help much appreciated

PH2 172
I havent, Ill take a look tomorrow in the day. There was no sign of anything wrong yesterday, drove just fine and now its broke itself in the night!! curse of the clio. Any other ideas?

Yea sounds like an aux belt problem, no alternator drive hence the battery light and stop light, no PAS pump drive either hence the heavy steering.

PH2 172
Could be it, but the steering wheel is jammed, asif if its on lock. if there was no PAS pump drive, surely the steering would still turn, just alot heavier?

PH2 172
had a look this morning and sure enough a belt has snapped :( happy new year to me.

I have no knowledge on cars but its the one you can see on the left hand side of the engine?!

anyone know the cost and able to reccomend somewhere in the north east?

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
yep left side of it as you look from the front of the car at the engine

PH2 172
I believe so, on about 37.5k now.

when i bought it i asked for it to be done, they agreed, stupidly i didnt check to see if i had any proof that it had been, paperwork etc so im gonna give them a ring and see if i can find anything out. Only bought it in march so they should still have records.

Last edited:

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
The cars on 37.5k or was that from the last time it was changed?

PH2 172
thats what its on now.

i know i think i've been quite lucky, im guessing id know if it had taken the cambelt off? runs fine by the sounds of it, lucky it didnt go as i was driving along i guess

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
thats what its on now.

i know i think i've been quite lucky, im guessing id know if it had taken the cambelt off? runs fine by the sounds of it, lucky it didnt go as i was driving along i guess

It's well overdue then! Unless the garage did do it.

PH2 172
i doubt they did, robbing b******s.

just something else to add to the list of january jobs, aux belt, 2 tyres, brakes, insurance

BMW M135i
Deffo wants doing now seeing as even the most recent 172s are 6yrs old! I think you've been let off very lightly tbh, I wouldn't want to drive it at all until the cambelts been done ticking timebomb otherwise imo.

PH2 172
just had a word with our family mechanic and hopefully its all getting sorted! taking a look at it tomorrow. Mines a 04 so hopefully ill catch it before it goes bang!

BMW M135i
Make sure he/they use the proper locking tools if they're doing the cambelt, potential for a whole world of pain otherwise.

Titanium 182
If you're getting the aux belt done I'd get the cam done at the same time for the difference in parts...

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
have the tensioner and idles been done. i think someone just put a aux belt on there and thought yip yip