ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Step by step engine modifications?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
As others have said;

Cams (either 438 or BTM's GT ones) induction, exhaust. I went for the 438's from K-Tec and I rate them a lot. I am a little concerned why you don't want the mods to be overly 'visible' as if it is to not declare them on insurance, then it is the last piece of advice i'll be giving you. I have zero respect for anyone who helps push my already significant insurance cost up through being a completely selfish tool.

Oh, and to back others, serious power gains = serious money. I went into the modding of mine in full acknowledgement of the cost involved. I'd recommend anyone else does the same. The bills don't hurt as much then, as you re-assure yourself you expected them ;)

A full service (both belts), 438 cams at the same time, Full set of Grp N engine mounts and one or two other bits, plus labour, and I got little change from £2k. On a £2.5k car, that can be hard for some to swallow. I swallowed it, as I am building a track car that will hopefully provide some reliability (hence cams and ITB's, not charged) whilst being reasonably fun and cheap for more regular 'disposable' parts i.e. tyres, brake pads etc.

Cheers club.

Dont worry this isnt for insurace reasons, 2k isnt a worry try 30K on 10K...........Lol.......

Iam gussing if i build this up mself maybe find another engine i could cam, belt and pulley this for around the 1K budget then have mapped (not including the donnor engine).

emc

172 Cup
You seem to have been on the forums for some time mate and made several posts. You've owned 3 Clio's before? You don't seem to know too much about them considering. As everyone has said there are guides and sticky's in several of the sections on this forum that provide a good level of information for the mods you're looking for. Spend some time on the build threads (which are always interesting reads!), speak to several people that do work, spend some time on websites like Ktec-Racing etc. And the final piece of advice, provide DETAILS!!! I work in sales and it's all about asking the right questions, so if you want answers...ask the right questions!

What are you going to use the car for? What power gains are you looking for? Where are you based? How long can you be without the car if putting it in a garage for the work? Are you a skilled mechanic?

You could buy another engine, in fact there have been some good engines for sale on the forum recently around the £800 that have had most of the work you're looking at doing. Putting a new engine in can take a bit of money also though and it needs to have a good level of information with it, when the belts were done etc.

I've barely been on the forum any time mate and have only owned a clio for 3months but I want to learn as much about the car as I can, so I'm putting the time in trying to learn.

Everyone is a clever clogs!

Dont have hours to read and go throutgh old threads simple answers would have done for an example i was hopeing for something like this from some of the more experienced people.

1, Matched inlets
2, Cams and pulleys.
3, Remap.
4, Ported and polished head, Big valve head????

Some might have guessed why i want discreet mods!!!!!!!

Bassed in cambridgeshire.
Aircraft mech so bloody handy with a spanner.

Have more than one car so just dont have the time to fully research them all, spent to much time in the past sat infront of the screen so hoped for quick fire answers of were to spend my money!

PS difficult searching for something you dont know what the hell your looking for, 428's meant nothing earler today.

I think you need to adjust your attitude a little, people are trying to give advice.

Please use the search function, this HAS been covered a lot before.

As has been mentioned for your budget, cams and a remap, with maybe matched inlets.

You are never going to get big power without lots of £££'s and FI - Simples. It's N/a and the engine doesn't really respond that well to mods compared to other cars, especially from what you've had before.

Status
Not open for further replies.