ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stick with the AMG? Or buy this...

330Ci cab
For me only 2 porsches spring to mind to really want to own; GT2 and 993T. Last of the air cooled, makes one of the best noises ever and looks amazing.

keep the merc

Look what happened to the last bloke who nearly bought a 996t

Just make sure you actually post pics of the evora Ant .... LOL

Confused?

Harbinger !! Do a search , the imaginary evora purchase started with him looking at 996t's

Fwiw , id say go with whatever suits your personal needs and wants.

I am a porsche fan but the 996t has never grabbed me ,id rather have another gt3 , but a mk2 comfort spec

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Merc AMG - f**king quick.
Porsche - f**king quick.

Merc - has a boot.
Porsche - no boot.

Merc - sounds like thunder.
Porsche - doesn't.

Other interesting comparisons are available.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
So I managed to have a drive in one today, was a turbo model not the S I was looking at. Had 70k on the clock, owned by current owner for 6 years and has been maintained by dealer. So to make this short, I will not be changing, now I know why I sold my 996 C2 years ago. AMG stays for now.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Do you actually care what CS thinks of your choice?

Not really as it's me that has to live with the choice, however some posters above gave me some good feedback. That's why it's a forum.... about cars....

n2x

e60/f10

You have probably already decided what you are going to do and need confirmation on your choice so get the Porsche! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Fuk sake the guy is aloud to ask if he wants.

Glad to hear your keeping the AMG, I love this. Porches does very little for me, no road presence, too many. AMG screams proper petrol head

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
So I managed to have a drive in one today, was a turbo model not the S I was looking at. Had 70k on the clock, owned by current owner for 6 years and has been maintained by dealer. So to make this short, I will not be changing, now I know why I sold my 996 C2 years ago. AMG stays for now.

so what was the reason?

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
so what was the reason?

Car feels very dated to sit in, very cramped in front and rear. Front feels very light at speed, car is also to smooth when you boot it. No excitement would some it up nicely.

other small issues, can't fit rear facing child seat, can't deactivate front passenger airbags, and you can get a push chair in the space provided, all though it's a lot of space, not wide enough. Car for me now is all show and not much else.

The interior of a 996 is absolutely dreadful. Yes you'll get people saying "oh but it's miles better than a Clio blah blah blah". Fact is, for the price tag it carries it's shocking.

I'd keep the AMG unless I was getting a 997. Even a 997S or 4S over a 996.

172, Tiguan
Front feels very light at speed, car is also to smooth when you boot it. No excitement would some it up nicely.

I could never dream of owning your current car or a 996 Turbo, so i'd gladly take either. A friend of a friend however had a 996 T and only kept it for 6 months quoting the exact same thing you just said. He got bored of it and bought a 964.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Only 996 i like is the C4S.

I'd keep what you have or raid the back of the couch for another 20k and buy the 997T.

Not a 320d
If you're serious and space isn't a real problem - IE you wont struggle getting your weekly shop in there, or a Christmas tree etc

Then Get the Porka.

996 a seriously cool car, sublime chassis and dat power! Your AMG looks well kept so Im sure the Porka would end up the same. yolo as they say... Can you afford the upleek with tyres, servicing and brakes?

Driven both owned one ..... you dont have to worry about the seal issues on the gt3 lump compared to the 4s but early boxes were an issue hence the mk2 is a better buy , the weight and feel of the 4wd detracts from the whole thing on a 4s.

Best choice in my eyes is a comfort spec mk2 gt3 , clubsport only worth it for pub bragging and track use ,but tracking porkers is for the deep of pockets
Nowadays i think an aero kitted 997 c2s would suit me.