ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

strange suspension

.....Ive just jacked the car up on the front joist to have a butchers at the under engine cover.
funny thing was tho, the back wheel came off the ground 1st, then the front only came off the ground when the jack was fully extended.

also when i set the car back down, the whole car was lop-sided!!??!! :confused:
jumped around in the drivers seat for a bit and the car sorta levelled, but its still looking wonky...

is this spose to happen??
any ideas why??

oh the cars a mk1 172 with full koni adjustable and eibach springs :)

cheers
--mark

When i jack mine up the back wheel comes off the ground first too !! After youve jacked it up and down get in and release the handbrake, this usually levels it out !!

cheers chaps!!

yeah was weird, theres me trying to jack the car up, the bodies moving and the front wheel was staying firmly planted to the floor. was about a 2 foot gap between the arch and tyre before the wheel left the ground...??!!!??
...by this time the back wheel is already 5-6" off the ground.

checked the springs all-round and they look and feel ok??!!??

dunno :confused:

will check later to see if its levelled off

--mark

Mr2 Roadster

On MKIs the back will come up first as the weight of the car is on the trson bar and will compress the other side! The fronts are independant!

I think! :p

(Even on mine, Mk1 Phase3, the front comes up before the back.. anyway.. and thats got a Torsion bar.. infact, it takes a lot of going to get the back up - like the front has to be very high!)

...also wouldnt you expect the other side of the cars suspension to compress as the whole weight of the car is now on it??

on this case the other side didnt move, looked very normal

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

its probably just the weight of the car pivoting on the jack.the front is heavier so the rear end is pivoted of the ground first by the weight of the front end if you get what i mean.a sort of see saw affect.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

yes i would recheck it after youve drove it for a few days to give the suspension time to settle back down.

yeah this is what i thought, its just kinda funny to look at.
may just jack-up/down the other side to make it look the same ;)

thanks for suggestions!! :)

yeah when i jacked mine up the side i jacked up sat higher than usual, i just wizzed off my drive(its on a slope) onto the level road, which compressed the suspension again and it was fine, basically it lifts thw weight off the suspension, and for it to fully settle down it takes more than just the kerb weight of the car, if that makes any sense.