ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Street-Basser Clio

Black Renault Clio
I've got a 2003 Renault Clio Dynamique 1.2 in black and wanted the loudest stereo I could fit within budget,
This is a list of the equipment currently in my car:

Kenwood - KDC BT61U headunit

3 set of HQ RCA's from Ebay

Autoleads level controller (for bass)

2 pairs of Infinity Kappa 5.25" coaxials

JBL 14001 bass amp

JBL 1004 4 channel amp

2 Ascendant Audio Chaos 12's

I had already installed a basic setup before with an Edge double 12 active box and the upgraded door speakers with a smaller Sony amp so changing it up was made slightly easier...
Some pictures....

Enfield-20120416-00028.jpg

Enfield-20120416-00029.jpg

Enfield-20120416-00024.jpg

Enfield-20120414-00023.jpg

Boot before the big upgrade...

Enfield-20120416-00030.jpg

To power the install properly I needed extra batteries so I took out the spare wheel and mounted them down there...

Enfield-20120416-00031.jpg

I got 2 of these batteries and made a cage for them...

IMG_20120505_145616.jpg

IMG_20120505_145534.jpg

IMG_20120505_145543.jpg

Enfield-20111220-00094.jpg

This what the actual car looks like...it has tints all round so nobody can see in at all...

This was the box being made with just 4 sides in the clamps to let the glue set

Enfield-20120525-00049.jpg

Drilling pilot holes and screwing in the TurboDrive screws

IMG_0335.jpg

Basic box in my hallway with a size 10 shoe inside lol

Enfield-20120528-00053.jpg

My dad and I put the box in the boot to see if fits with the boot shut and left enough space for the lid....The rear wiper and motor was removed for extra space...

IMG_0333.jpg

Box put together without the port in place as the wood hadn't been cut yet

Enfield-20120528-00055.jpg

Holes for the subs were cut out with the jigsaw not perfect but close enough..

Enfield-20120602-00068.jpg

Enfield-20120602-00067.jpg

Enfield-20120602-00066.jpg

Placed subs in the box to see what it looked like..

Enfield-20120604-00070.jpg

Then put it in the car for a test fit...

Enfield-20120602-00069.jpg

It fit perfectly so I got out the power sander and made all the edges smooth including the port then painted it black in the kitchen LOL

Enfield-20120605-00071.jpg

Finished for now...

Enfield-20120606-00072.jpg

In the car from my seat...

IMG-20120607-00085.jpg

Just incase any of you were unsure of the wiring I used, I used 70mm welding cable for positive and negative and upgraded the wiring from the alt to the battery too...

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Fair play .. sounds (geddit?) like you've done it properly, but f**k that for a laugh.

My single 12" cheap as hell sub from Halfrauds was plenty loud enough in my Clio !

Polo + Micra
love it still remember the 12's i had in my clio.

i can't believe the amount of subs i've got but none in a car:dapprove:

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Sh*tting hell mate I bet that's mental,
i'm not sure a Clio can cope with that level of bass, the poor thing will probably fall apart if you play some dub music. lol

1.2 16v clio
good to see you finally posting this car on here lol have you got it tested yet mate? and are you coming to purecarma on the 1st September?

1.2 16v clio
a 70a alternator can keep them on charge but it will take longer i have 4 batteries and i now need an upgrade since my power supply drops on certain songs

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I had JL 12w3's in my Laguna with a Pheonix gold amp and fcuk me it used to make your eyes go blurry.

I love it, keep posting progress pics!

(All this talk of alternators etc, I had a massive PG amp running two JL's and 2 mtx amps running the front and rear components and all I ever had was a standard battery and alternator. Are we saying that with a bigger/better battery/alternator It would have been louder?!?!)

Last edited:
  Polo + Micra
a 70a alternator can keep them on charge but it will take longer i have 4 batteries and i now need an upgrade since my power supply drops on certain songs

really? i drained a yellow top with a 90A alt in my clio with a single JL amp

1.2 16v clio
because its 1 battery if you have a secondary battery it will take less strain over both of them then it is on 1 of them

1.2 16v clio
(All this talk of alternators etc, I had a massive PG amp running two JL's and 2 mtx amps running the front and rear components and all I ever had was a standard battery and alternator. Are we saying that with a bigger/better battery/alternator It would have been louder?!?!)

in some way yes you will be louder as amps are powered by the battery which in turn is charged by a alternator so if a battery is 1000w rms on 14.4volts if your playing full tilt and your voltage drops to lets say 12.0volts you have lost quite abit of power from the amp so if your power supply is more stable then your power your making from the amp will be better

Black Renault Clio
Yes I'll be at Pure Carma mate but I might be in my dads car with the HCCA sub LOL...in regards to voltage in only really dips when the car stops, when im driving keeping the car above 2000 rpm it doesn't drop below 13.7v but at the lights it can drop all the way to 12.7 but no lower...when I try to pull away you hear the alternator belt squealing LOL.. (Only on very deep songs 23-35Hz)

Last edited:
  Black Renault Clio
The whole car is like it wants to break into 1000 pieces main areas of destruction being the boot lid obviously and the whole area surrounding the sunroof, inside and out...

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
carefull you dont smash the windscreen lol. f**king love heavy bass.

did it to a mates old corsa B, it made a headlight fall off LOL

1.2 16v clio
The whole car is like it wants to break into 1000 pieces main areas of destruction being the boot lid obviously and the whole area surrounding the sunroof, inside and out...

lol chances are i may be the only clio there as always lol my sunroof goes mad my doors used to flex alot but now i have sound deadened them and the rear quater panel its ok

1.2 16v clio
What you running bro?
3 jbl gt5's with a spl dynamics s2000-d with a nice low tuned box at 27 hz :) which i keep forgetting to update my topic on here lol

you should bring your car down man it will be nice to see another street basser clio

ITB BG 182
Good to see some one doing what they want with their car rather than what the rest of a forum think...

Surely that box will kill subs of that size?

Im only running a single 12" 1000rms sub off a SPL Dynamics 1500rms amp, yet my box is about that size for one sub.

Also to get proper voltage around the car you need to upgrade the wiring between battery and alt, alt and chasis, chasis some thing else, i forgot.
I currently have 0awg all round, this includes 0awg from batt to fuse to distro block to amp and amp to earth.

Give the front face on the box a double plate, match it to the side rubbers of the subs for extra strenth but also curve the front port out.

I would have done a project build, just can not be arsed with people bad mouthing me because its a 182.

Black Renault Clio
My box is 4.3 cuft after the port space so is adequate for the two subs. If you have that much for just one 12 I think that might be slightly too much but hey everyone to their own...all the connections you speak of have been upgraded with wire thicker than conventional 0 gauge. There are very short 4 gauge runs from the distro block to the amps (max possible) so very little loss there.

ITB BG 182
Just looking at the power wire in your boot looks less than 4awg, Conventional 0awg? unless you have copper bar??

I had some one measure the int vol of my box before port and it was no where near 4cu.ft. But then again I had to change to solid as a ported box didnt sound right, been told I need slightly bigger box for ported which means a new car for me...

Not near 4 cu.ft. after the displacement of the sub I must add.

Black Renault Clio
The power wire you saw in the picture was from the old system LOL thats 4awg, no pictures of the batteries in the car to see the new fatter wire

ITB BG 182
Fair enough then, i will shut my trap on that one.

When you get the bass going, I think you might be able hear a buzzing, it will be the side rub strips for the qtr panels and the exhaust sheild aswell.
Use a slightly wider rubber grommet for the sheild but the side rub strips I used sticky backing foam on the underside.

Also, insted of using the mega expensive Dynamat, look up silent coat 2mm bulk packs. 20 sheets and I did both side panels, boot area, under rear seat floor and some for the doors. Then ontop I did have cloud9 8mm liner, this literally did block out all external road noise.

1.2 16v clio
Fair enough then, i will shut my trap on that one.

When you get the bass going, I think you might be able hear a buzzing, it will be the side rub strips for the qtr panels and the exhaust sheild aswell.
Use a slightly wider rubber grommet for the sheild but the side rub strips I used sticky backing foam on the underside.

Also, insted of using the mega expensive Dynamat, look up silent coat 2mm bulk packs. 20 sheets and I did both side panels, boot area, under rear seat floor and some for the doors. Then ontop I did have cloud9 8mm liner, this literally did block out all external road noise.

ive got a question for you why didnt you sound deaden the doors first lol

ITB BG 182
Infact I did the doors first as I did the 6.5" speaker upgrade, then the side panels > sides of the boot > boot floor > rear seat floor and under bench > sound proof the rear.

ITB BG 182
i used to do this, what DBs you hitting?

Dont know about me on DB's but enough to make the hairs inside my nose twitch and my eyes shake.

Im struggling to find the TS Para's for my sub so I can get a ported box rather than solid.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
I miss my Golf's Sub/Amp/Speakers :(

Didn't have a rear wiper so turned the bass up when it rained, that soon knocked the rain off the windows lol.